Is Gear Tunnel Completely Water Tight?

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
I had my defective rear window replaced by Rivian a few months back after taking delivery. It had paint splotches and strange scratches on it. Anyhow, at the time they replaced it Rivian service said the gear tunnel had to be removed and the rear spoiler to replace the back glass. Flash forward to last night driving home in some pretty heavy rain. When I got home and opened my gear tunnel to get my back pack out, there was some definite water seen on the bottom of the tunnel. In addition, it does not appear Rivian did a good job of re assembling the actual gear tunnel. Needless to say I created a service ticket, but my main question is if the gear tunnel is supposed to be completely water tight? I have never seen any water in there after washing the vehicle, so I'm a little perplexed. Any thoughts are appreciated. The water was mainly on both ends by the tunnel door. One end has a latching trim below that has a broken clip, the other end appeared fine, but had water as well. Was going to get the hose out this weekend and see what I can figure out. Thanks in advance.

Rivian R1T R1S Is Gear Tunnel Completely Water Tight? IMG_7479
Rivian R1T R1S Is Gear Tunnel Completely Water Tight? IMG_7484
Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Mine is water tight. Done enough car washes with a pressure washer and never got it wet inside the seal.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Ditto on car washes. Also, The truck has a reported 3' wading depth. That would have to include the gear tunnel.

OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
That is what is strange. Mine does not get water in it in while washing either.

syhulyme

First Name
scot reilly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
gts 21
Occupation
doctor
As of last week, nobody I talked to at the Rivian factory had ever seen the manual cover. If that's part of your configuration, you're guaranteed to wait for a while

Last edited:

Sponsored

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
My gear tunnel thus far has been impervious to water from high pressure washing and rain. I have not submerged the vehicle though.

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
Same here, zero water issues in the tunnel. I also have not had it submerged though too, just rain and washes (lots of washes :like:).

yehyeh711

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and XC90
Occupation
Controller
I have driven the truck through water (not enough to submerge the truck but enough to create large splashes) and the tunnel was dry.
Sponsored