Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'86 911 Coupe, '23 R1T LE
Occupation
I work for a Tire Company
Clubs

Yea, that's what Tesla used to do in their Tilburg Netherlands plant. They would almost completely assemble cars in Fremont, and then complete "final assembly" in Europe. That involved installing the battery and the drivetrain. No idea if the US will have a similar loophole.
Yes. Go google the "chicken tax." Funnily enough it's about pickup trucks.
Sponsored

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Of course, since there is a price threshold of $80,000, none of the post-March 2022 Rivian's will be eligible, so there are relatively few R1's that will actually qualify for any of the Federal tax credit.
Dual motor R1S and R1T should qualify for some sort of credit. That is the model for cost conscious customers.

Dual motor R1S with standard pack and silver paint is less than $80,000
Dual motor R1T with standard pack or large pack is less than $80,000

tobyringle

First Name
Toby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Correct, except it's 8/15/2022 that should be used. Refer to the instructions here
What date do we use for “date acquired”? If we enter any date after 8/15/22, we receive an error saying “acquired date cannot be later than in-service date”. Do we use 8/15/22 for acquired date as well?

freshpow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
What date do we use for “date acquired”? If we enter any date after 8/15/22, we receive an error saying “acquired date cannot be later than in-service date”. Do we use 8/15/22 for acquired date as well?
I would enter the date listed on your BPA from Rivian. My BPA was dated 8/10, so I used that for the date acquired and 8/15 for the in-service date. This is not tax advice :)