LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Good quality for a reasonable price. Installs easily. Fits the R1T bed size almost ideally.

Sponsored

Jabbahop

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘14 BMW i3, ‘19 BMW i3, ‘22 R1T -> ‘24 R1S Max
Occupation
retired
Thanks sharing this. Is there room for pillows and bedding and still close the shell?

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Thanks sharing this. Is there room for pillows and bedding and still close the shell?
Didnt try anything yet but saw a YT video of owner review that mentioned he packs it with a 2" mattress topper. Pillows may be a stretch. Just toss into the gear tunnel.

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Last night, after looking over the photos more, I've decided to turn it around and put the thick-end forward right behind the cab. Wish I did it that way to start with, of course. Inside the garage you just cannot get the perspective to see such things. Just oriented it the same was you would in a more exposed rooftop situation.

rivianMP

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cadillac CTS-V, Volvo XC40
Occupation
Engineer
I assume the cross bars are the Rivian Cargo bars?

Sponsored

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
150 lbs according to the specs on their website. Not bad at all.

GeezFullSleeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Clubs

Do the original mounting hardware fit the Rivian crossbars (crossbars tend to be wider than most) or did you have to improvise?

Sponsored

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Do the original mounting hardware fit the Rivian crossbars (crossbars tend to be wider than most) or did you have to improvise?
The mounting brackets/hardware and locking channels that come with the tent are actually very sturdy compared to other kinds. It fits the Rivian crossbars, however due to the curvature of the bar cross-section wrapped with a rubber (polymer) strip about 1/16th in thick. The intent was to squeeze for more contact patch and of course prevent harsh scratching of those fabulous bars. Figured it might also absorb bumps and prevent any kind of squeaking noise.

To deter theft (since had to park in a public garage structure) I purchased from Amazon some 8mm security nuts that have odd shape and use provided matching lug to torque. Went with some blue thread locker for peace of mind.

GeezFullSleeve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Clubs

The mounting brackets/hardware and locking channels that come with the tent are actually very sturdy compared to other kinds. It fits the Rivian crossbars, however due to the curvature of the bar cross-section wrapped with a rubber (polymer) strip about 1/16th in thick. The intent was to squeeze for more contact patch and of course prevent harsh scratching of those fabulous bars. Figured it might also absorb bumps and prevent any kind of squeaking noise.

To deter theft (since had to park in a public garage structure) I purchased from Amazon some 8mm security nuts that have odd shape and use provided matching lug to torque. Went with some blue thread locker for peace of mind.
Thanks, LoneStar. Great info.

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Thanks, LoneStar. Great info.
You're welcome.

Decide from the start which way you want the rigid cover to face. Of course that affects which side of the truck the tent opens up on. I ended up with turning it "backwards" with the narrower profile towards the rear which makes it open/access on the driver's side. Trust me, you really want to enjoy that install only once - instead of twice like I did, lol.

Also, whichever way to turn it you'll need to leave about a 2" spacing to the rear window in order to clear the rooftop "wing." The tent's plastic cover is thin enough to flex some so you can put it forward with a slight amount of undercut and it will flex as it passes the spoiler. Just be careful and control the tent cover when you deploy it. And likewise take care when storing it to nudge the cover lip back under the spoiler. Doing it this way reduces the amount or appearance of rear-overhang beyond the bed. I found it to be a perfect fit.

Rivian R1T R1S Ironman 4x4 Nomad 1300 ABS shell 2-man tent installed look 642D0CE6-4EC9-45FF-97F2-8BB23B91730A

Rivian R1T R1S Ironman 4x4 Nomad 1300 ABS shell 2-man tent installed look IMG_6820.JPG

OP
OP
LoneStar

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Rivian R1T R1S Ironman 4x4 Nomad 1300 ABS shell 2-man tent installed look RTT w bars.JPG
Sponsored