domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Thanks to this forum I learned that rail transport leaves iron particles all over the truck. Service Centers are supposed to remove it, but others have warned that they may not get everything. Indeed that appears true. I found about a dozen specks that turned purple after using this iron remover: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UM6DLE/

Here are a few of the spots.
Rivian R1T R1S Iron particles removal after rail transport 20221030_110829
Rivian R1T R1S Iron particles removal after rail transport 20221030_110758
Rivian R1T R1S Iron particles removal after rail transport 20221030_110730

All better now!
Sponsored

roberttatefan

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, S7, Exocet, JGC
Iron-X is pretty nasty, but a very effective product. I use it on my cars ever year or two as part of a decontamination/correction.

I'll be interested in how much iron EVs collect given the limited use of friction brakes. I assume they'll still be affected given environmental contamination.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Iron-X is pretty nasty, but a very effective product. I use it on my cars ever year or two as part of a decontamination/correction.

I'll be interested in how much iron EVs collect given the limited use of friction brakes. I assume they'll still be affected given environmental contamination.
Any negative impact on the clear coat?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I have not heard about this. So you buy the spray and it shows the iron AND cleans it off?

roberttatefan

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, S7, Exocet, JGC
Any negative impact on the clear coat?
Nope. Like I said, it's kind of nasty stuff, so I wouldn't let it dwell/dry on the paint, but it's a tried-and-true product that's well-regarded in the detailing community.

I have not heard about this. So you buy the spray and it shows the iron AND cleans it off?
Correct. The product reacts to and "binds" to the iron. You'll see the iron-x turn either purple or red (e.g. Sonax wheel cleaner, which uses a similar technology) when it starts reacting with iron. From there you simply rinse it off.

For others who are curious if your cars are contaminated by iron, you can often feel a texture if you put your hand in a plastic shopping bag and running it gently across the paint. If the bag glides smoothly, your paint is largely free from contaminants. If you feel a gritty texture, you should look into decontaminating your car. Typically this is done chemically (with an iron remover) and then mechanically with something like a clay bar.

For those with high performance cars, I'd strongly recommend a wheel cleaner that binds to iron filings. Sonax is expensive, but it's still my favorite.

Sponsored

OP
OP
domoplaytime

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

didnt even know this is a thing. thanks for the info.
Sponsored