Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
So, here is what I put together:

It's very similar to what was shown above - a tombstone shaped plastic bit that sits on top of the rubber mat. It's held in place by a T shaped extension that goes into the center console. The

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad IMG_0863.JPG

Underneath is where it is likely different. It has little indentations where you can move the OEM Magsafe connector forward or backward to best suit the size iPhone that you have and the case that you are currently using.

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad IMG_0864.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad IMG_0867.JPG

The cover thickness is basically as thin as I can make it while ensuring the whole bit is structurally sound. The pad holder is shown upside down in the pictures below, with the cover on the bottom.

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad IMG_0865.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad IMG_0866.JPG

There is a channel leading from where the the cabling coming out of the MagSafe charger wedges into. It can then be plugged into the USB-C port in the center console.

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad IMG_0868.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad IMG_0869.JPG

It holds well:

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad ezgif.com-gif-maker (1)

Here is what it looks like installed. Note that it works fine with the Sliding Console Organizer - I don't know if it will work with other ones. I'd suspect not. I've tried to make it as thin as possible, so there is a very slight downhill grade toward the front of the vehicle.

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad IMG_0873.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad IMG_0876.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad IMG_0877.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad IMG_0878.JPG

So, where do we go from here?

I've posted the STL file on Thingiverse here if anyone wants to print it or remix it. At this point, I don't plan on using it, enhancing the design or selling them like I have with other items that I've designed. For me, I put stuff on the self pretty frequently, and the under mat magnetic charger works really, really well. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Sponsored

Jason C

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Launch edition
So, here is what I put together:

It's very similar to what was shown above - a tombstone shaped plastic bit that sits on top of the rubber mat. It's held in place by a T shaped extension that goes into the center console. The

IMG_0863.JPG

Underneath is where it is likely different. It has little indentations where you can move the OEM Magsafe connector forward or backward to best suit the size iPhone that you have and the case that you are currently using.

IMG_0864.JPG

IMG_0867.JPG

The cover thickness is basically as thin as I can make it while ensuring the whole bit is structurally sound. The pad holder is shown upside down in the pictures below, with the cover on the bottom.

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0866.JPG

There is a channel leading from where the the cabling coming out of the MagSafe charger wedges into. It can then be plugged into the USB-C port in the center console.

IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

It holds well:

ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif

Here is what it looks like installed. Note that it works fine with the Sliding Console Organizer - I don't know if it will work with other ones. I'd suspect not. I've tried to make it as thin as possible, so there is a very slight downhill grade toward the front of the vehicle.

IMG_0873.JPG

IMG_0876.JPG

IMG_0877.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

So, where do we go from here?

I've posted the STL file on Thingiverse here if anyone wants to print it or remix it. At this point, I don't plan on using it, enhancing the design or selling them like I have with other items that I've designed. For me, I put stuff on the self pretty frequently, and the under mat magnetic charger works really, really well. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Great design. I definitely think it’s something Rivian should look into. Their charging mat definitively has its pros and cons. I posted my similar design earlier. The simplicity and functionality of the two are what make them a great solution for the community.

shrink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S (x2); '22 R1T; '14 Jeep Cherokee
Clubs

Had the same experience with my new iPhone 14 Pro with Apple Leather case not working at all.

Went with this as the simple solution, two Apple Magsafe Chargers and Gorilla Mounting Putty. Phones stay put and charges faster than the pad. Putty lets me easily lift the phone up without the puck if that wasn't obvious. I unplugged the Rivian pad for... safety??

Image.jpeg
I just used your putty idea and it is fantastic! Will post a pic later, but it was exactly what I needed to complete my setup.

Thanks and great thinking!

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
What is Rivian service saying about this design defect? What do they recommend? Clearly, the iPhone 14 pro base will only grow with time, as was the case with the camera bump hieght.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
What is Rivian service saying about this design defect? What do they recommend? Clearly, the iPhone 14 pro base will only grow with time, as was the case with the camera bump hieght.
They closed my service ticket and said they won’t look at it because it’s a known issue and mine is working the same as all of the pads. They did admit the function ‘leaves a lot to be desired”. They said they weren’t aware of any specific efforts to redesign the pad but also that they didn’t know that it wouldn’t be redesigned. I asked if a redesign did occur if it would be made available to owners of the previous design (even if it costs money) and they said they didn’t know that either.

so basically the pad sucks, they know it sucks, but it is what it is.

Sponsored

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

If they had CarPlay/AA they could have made a standup charger in the storage bin. Plenty of space for it and with the software integration you don't need to see your phone.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
The “bump” on the new iPhone camera now keeps the phone too far away from the charging mat to take a charge. The charge mat (which was persnickety to begin with) is not of no use…
Reposting this from another thread...

I understand the frustration, and decided to go another route.

I found these awesome USB-C to Lightning cables on Amazon...

USB-C to Lightning Cable - 0.5ft (0.2m)

These are stiff enough to stay put and out of the way for your center console storage. They are also short enough to keep your phone(s) tethered and not have them fly all over on rough terrain.

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad img_0572-jpe

Rivian R1T R1S iPhone 14 Pro is not compatible with the Rivian Charge Pad img_0571-jpe

In my case my personal phone is on the left and my work "Bat Phone" is on the right. Yeah, Im kind of a big deal around here. But on trips the right side is reserved for the Wife unit.

If you need to pick up either phone, the cable disconnects without damage just by pulling on the phone with some light pressure. Yeah, I know, over time that may cause the cable to fail. But for now it works.

These work well for me. YMMV