Sponsored

Investor Business Daily Article (20k deliveries in 2021?)

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Kinda like duct tape?

...and in the configurator...

It does make me wonder, for the Max pack... is the plan that the batteries will indeed be down in the skateboard, or are they trying to shove the batteries elsewhere (like under the rear seats)?

I'd assume for safety reasons, they would want the batteries within that "safety cage" that is the frame and not like... jutting out into the passenger compartment or hanging out over the gear tunnel...
Jeep 4XE has the pack stuffed under the rear seat in the cabin. who knows...
Sponsored

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
This is from the article last week that interviewed the head of the Rivian plant.

”Eventually, Rivian plans to run two shifts six days per week, with rotations so that people are working 40 hours per week. Currently, the body shop and battery and drive unit areas are running two shifts, although paint and general assembly can meet current demand with one shift.”
Yup. ;)

Last edited:

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director
paint and general assembly can meet current demand with one shift.
Maybe they don't read these forums after all. ?

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Better still.... I should have asked for a Job at Rivian! :idea:

(does quoting yourself grow hair on your palms?)
When you say "quoting yourself", is that a euphemism??

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Likewise!

None of us know for sure how they are running their plant, their shifts, or what their output will be... at the end of the day, I just hope to get mine "soon" and that it's as kick ass as the reviewers are letting on.
Temerarius,

If it helps at all, the information that we learned at the get together in Normal this Summer is alligned somewhat with your comments:

1. Per RJ, the R1 line will run 18 hours a day (2 shifts of 9 hours each, including rotating lunch schedules) producing 15 vehicles per hour, once optimized. That gives us a max of 270 units per day. I think we were told six days a week, but I'm not certain (and the number of days per week may be different temporarily as they seek to get deliveries rolling). All R1T's & R1S's will be produced on one line, and the Amazon vans on the other.

2. Per our collective experiences here, "soon" is a difficult word to pin down.

3. Per my test drive and all those I've read, "driving an R1T" should be added as one of the definitions of "Kick ass" in every English dictionary. Per RJ, later generations of products (R2 or R3?) may be smaller and designed for, or to include other markets, such as Europe and Asia. This leaves plenty of time to translate the term "Kick ass" and allow dictionaries of other languages to be updated in advance of deliveries.

This has been an interesting thread to follow.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

With all this talk on production capacity and actual production numbers, has anyone thought to just go out to the plant in Normal and take a few pictures of the storage lot? It should be filling with Amazon vans or R1’s. Someone, with a drone could get a good look at everything.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
If it helps at all, the information that we learned at the get together in Normal this Summer is alligned somewhat with your comments:

1. Per RJ, the R1 line will run 18 hours a day (2 shifts of 9 hours each, including rotating lunch schedules) producing 15 vehicles per hour, once optimized. That gives us a max of 270 units per day.
This can’t possibly be true :)

We‘ve been told that every single auto manufacturer runs their line 24 hours a day, 7 days per week. I don’t care what the CEO of the company says, nor the head of the plant.

Sorry, I’ll stop now.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

This has been an interesting thread to follow.
While this thread has been interesting I am 100% sure now that the premise I was curious about in the article (namely 20k deliveries in 2021) is 100% not going to happen.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
With all this talk on production capacity and actual production numbers, has anyone thought to just go out to the plant in Normal and take a few pictures of the storage lot? It should be filling with Amazon vans or R1’s. Someone, with a drone could get a good look at everything.
A few have mentioned the plant is in controlled airspace. A few others have mentioned a group buy for satellite images. A few other others have driven around the perimeter of the plant...

...so far limited results at best.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

A few have mentioned the plant is in controlled airspace. A few others have mentioned a group buy for satellite images. A few other others have driven around the perimeter of the plant...

...so far limited results at best.

Just checked, it's controlled airspace when you're higher than 400ft. More than enough altitude.

Sponsored

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
Do we have any PPLs on this forum that could take off from KBMI and take pictures from a GA aircraft?

WheeledLife

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Juiced HyperScorpion
Occupation
Thinker
Do we have any PPLs on this forum that could take off from KBMI and take pictures from a GA aircraft?
You don't need a drone or aircraft to view that the paved lots adjacent to the plant are not filling with finished vehicles. Central Illinois flatlands...

Rivianmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 328d, Toyota 4Runner
adventure trim level includes the power tonneau, explore does not. This has not changed.

I confirmed with CS today that (Canadian) LE deliveries still start in November, with adventure and explore deliveries commencing in January, including max pack(that’s me)
Crashmtb, I hope this comes to fruition for you, and for the entire preorder community for that matter (portends good things for US based customers) however, I would be shocked if any deliveries are made to Canada in 2021. Maybe they flip a switch and start ramping quickly, but nothing known at this point supports that. Hope I am wrong…I wouldn’t put much stock in anything coming from CS.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Crashmtb, I hope this comes to fruition for you, and for the entire preorder community for that matter (portends good things for US based customers) however, I would be shocked if any deliveries are made to Canada in 2021. Maybe they flip a switch and start ramping quickly, but nothing known at this point supports that. Hope I am wrong…I wouldn’t put much stock in anything coming from CS.
that’s Rivian’s company line, so yes, it must be taken with a grain of salt.
However. If a supplier tells me a brand new item will be delivered In a given window, I don’t presume they’re saying so in bad faith. The date is the date, until it changes.

It could change suddenly and without warning, because shit happens. Nobody knows what tomorrow will bring. Especially in any stage of commissioning and operating something as complex as an automobile factory.

Given that I only placed my deposit this July, I am hoping for delivery by next summer, expecting by fall.
But I’m not worried. It’s just a fancy toy truck, I do not depend on it for my livelihood, I do not need it for basic transportation(or really, at all).
and I’m happy to keep $130k+tax in the bank a while longer
Sponsored