Sponsored

Investor Business Daily Article (20k deliveries in 2021?)

TheSasquatch

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
IT Consulting
I'm in the same boat. Originally ordered the Max Pack, but switched to LE when preordering started. May switch back if a guide could give me the difference in delivery dates. I reserved in Feb 2019. If we are talking just a difference of 6 months or less, I would definitely switch. If over a year... that's a much more difficult decision.
Well, based on what you're saying (pre-order Feb 2019) and from what the "Rivian Guide" said, you'd probably get the Max pack truck in Jan or Feb. (This is assuming there will be FAR fewer people reserving Max Packs = you would definitely be within the first 500.) She was telling me that with MY pre-order date of Jan '20, I'd probably be able to see a non-LE Max pack truck in the first few months of 2022. So you'd definitely be one of the first few I'd assume. Unless, of course, I'm way off on my guess that the majority aren't leaving their LE order for a Max pack.
Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I hear that.. haha. I originally had a preorder in Fall 2019 but then canceled it in early 2020 when I was in the middle of a renovation and needed the extra cash. Re-reserved in Fall 2020 a couple months before they launched the configurator. Still managed to get a LE (one of the reasons I speculate there are more LE orders than others seem to think)
Order date has nothing to do with launch edition. LE was available to preorders when online configuration was launched. LE was made unavailable a few days later.

I explained this to a guy at the first mile event and he was upset, since my July 2020 preorder got me a LE, when he delayed on the configuration and couldn't get it with his Jan 2019 preorder.

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Order date has nothing to do with launch edition. LE was available to preorders when online configuration was launched. LE was made unavailable a few days later.

I explained this to a guy at the first mile event and he was upset, since my July 2020 preorder got me a LE, when he delayed on the configuration and couldn't get it with his Jan 2019 preorder.
Yeah I understand that. They launched the configuration and then a specific number of LE they wanted to build sold out 4 days later but if there was only a 1000 LE orders or similar I expect they would have sold out quicker but who knows.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

I'm in the same boat. Originally ordered the Max Pack, but switched to LE when preordering started. May switch back if a guide could give me the difference in delivery dates. I reserved in Feb 2019. If we are talking just a difference of 6 months or less, I would definitely switch. If over a year... that's a much more difficult decision.
Same. I have an LE on order but if I knew the difference was... 2-3 mos, I may would switch to the largest battery. But if it's going to be - making up a number - a year, then I'll stick with my LE.

TheSasquatch

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
IT Consulting
Man I'm seriously a clueless rookie. Everything everyone says is news to me and I'm learning a ton here. That's is so crazy & interesting that Launch Edition wasn't reserved / made available as a perk to early pre-order-holders exclusively. Reminds me of the Gladiator launch debacle last year :)

So, what does the LE get us? (I understand this is probably completely redundant, old news for many of you. The only thing I know is that it offers the Launch Green and the rolling tonneau cover?) I don't want to be missing anything if I opt for the Max Pack and give-up the "LE"..

Sponsored

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Man I'm seriously a clueless rookie. Everything everyone says is news to me and I'm learning a ton here. That's is so crazy & interesting that Launch Edition wasn't reserved / made available as a perk to early pre-order-holders exclusively. Reminds me of the Gladiator launch debacle last year :)

So, what does the LE get us? (I understand this is probably completely redundant, old news for many of you. The only thing I know is that it offers the Launch Green and the rolling tonneau cover?) I don't want to be missing anything if I opt for the Max Pack and give-up the "LE"..
See attached from their website. Powered tonneau cover is a adventure package upgrade not exclusive to the LE.

Rivian R1T R1S Investor Business Daily Article (20k deliveries in 2021?) E38F16B5-5551-4D3B-B3A0-4945456B43D9

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

I think something along the lines of:

"Priority*" delivery.
Available Launch Green Color
Free upgrade to 20" AT wheels
Launch Edition badging for the interior.

I think that's about it.

* priority meaning, all other factors** of delivery being equal, LE will be delivered before non-LE editions

** current set of delivery factors are currently unknown and speculative, may include, in no specific order, options on vehicle, location (proximity to service station), preorder number, RJ's personal experiences in your town, availability of fine dining, number of alien abductions, and your favorite number.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Don't give up the LE until you are 110% sure you don't want it. You can change away from it at any time, but once you do there is no going back.

Once your Guide contacts you, they may be able to give you an idea of time frame between the two options. If not, I will still be keeping my LE configuration up until the time they require me to lock it in with more $$. Only then is it "go or no go" decision time (and I won't have less info at that point).

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Don't give up the LE until you are 110% sure you don't want it. You can change away from it at any time, but once you do there is no going back.

Once your Guide contacts you, they may be able to give you an idea of time frame between the two options. If not, I will still be keeping my LE configuration up until the time they require me to lock it in with more $$. Only then is it "go or no go" decision time (and I won't have less info at that point).
I just don't have much faith in what a guide may quote at this point anyhow - given all the supply chain constraints. They could say 4 months difference, but that could easily become a year + if cargo ships continue to be docked off of NY and LA for months at a time.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I just don't have much faith in what a guide may quote at this point anyhow - given all the supply chain constraints. They could say 4 months difference, but that could easily become a year + if cargo ships continue to be docked off of NY and LA for months at a time.
If taking delivery within a certain time frame is a priority, the LE will always be delivered first (to any particular customer).

Sponsored

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
If taking delivery within a certain time frame is a priority, the LE will always be delivered first (to any particular customer).
I agree, but it would be nice if someone could tell me - you will get your LE by this date or a Max pack by this date. It's a large purchase - and knowing that timeline would be huge for me - and probably quite a few other LE holders. But... such is life. I'm not complaining - just wishing.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
You are assuming they will "shut down the line" and not run 24x7.

My friends and contacts that work on the Jeep line have made it very clear, those lines never shut down, unless there is retooling, a chip shortage, a strike, or the vehicle is being throttled back (and even then they tend to mix the line with a like model).

288 R1T's per day, 86 days... that put's them just shy of 25k vehicles by Dec 31.
No, I'm not assuming. It's not in my nature. And I'm not interested in what your friend of a friend who works at a completely different company is doing. I use real information, as we know it, not conjecture.

During pre-production, many parts of the Normal plant were running on two shifts while others were operating on a single shift. Eventually all stations will run on two shifts.
The plan is to start with one shift making production vehicles and quickly add a second shift.
LOL at believing they're going to be running at full capacity, 24 hours a day, every day (including Christmas) between now and the new year.

If they are running at 1/3 overall capacity by the end of the year, it would be a huge accomplishment.

PS. Don't trust your friends.

The Belvidere Assembly Plant near Rockford, which makes the Jeep Cherokee SUV, had about 3,600 employees working two shifts, is planning to eliminate one shift — and 1,641 jobs — when it resumes production July 26

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
No, I'm not assuming. It's not in my nature. And I'm not interested in what your friend of a friend who works at a completely different company is doing. I use real information, as we know it, not conjecture.

LOL at believing they're going to be running at full capacity, 24 hours a day, every day (including Christmas) between now and the new year.

If they are running at 1/3 overall capacity by the end of the year, it would be a huge accomplishment.

PS. Don't trust your friends.
@Zoidz and other MFG people can chime in, but auto mfg lines and pretty much any assembly line type plant really do only shut down for tooling changes, other scheduled maintenance, or, indeed, unforeseen component shortages, which are currently really, really messing with things in every kind of manufacturing. Nevermind chips, it’s hard to even get steel right now.

“but some close for summer holidays!” You might say? Yeah. That’s when the maintenance is done and everyone “gets to” book their vacation or have it scheduled for them.

this is not conjecture, it is how manufacturing works.

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
No, I'm not assuming. It's not in my nature.
For being against your nature, you seem to make an awful lot of assumptions... (hours per shift, days worked, etc...).

Your point is true that they are ramping up (have been through Sept and will be through Oct), at peak capacity, they could crank out 25k rigs. However, none of us know where their production rate is at this moment or how fast they will scale up.

Will they hit 25k? Probably not, but it should not be assumed that a company that is pushing for an IPO will not be cranking that dial to 11 and getting trucks in hands en masse.

As for not trusting my friends, for one, it's Jefferson North that I'm referencing, and.. yes.. they are shut down for a very reason I cited...

...those lines never shut down, unless there is retooling, a chip shortage, a strike...
They otherwise do not shut down unless it's one of the above...

OP
OP
jjswan33

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

@Zoidz and other MFG people can chime in, but auto mfg lines and pretty much any assembly line type plant really do only shut down for tooling changes, other scheduled maintenance, or, indeed, unforeseen component shortages, which are currently really, really messing with things in every kind of manufacturing. Nevermind chips, it’s hard to even get steel right now.

“but some close for summer holidays!” You might say? Yeah. That’s when the maintenance is done and everyone “gets to” book their vacation or have it scheduled for them.

this is not conjecture, it is how manufacturing works.
I can confirm that semiconductor wafer fabs do not shut down (even for Christmas). A lot of modern tooling keeps running 24/7 because it takes time to condition them after startup.
Sponsored