Sponsored

Introductions! Drop in and say hello new and old members...

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
Hi,
I am Sully. I just ordered last week even though I wanted to order at launch. It has taken me this long to convince my wife:)

I currently drive a 2008 Jeep Wrangler JKU with a 4” lift, 37’s and a lot of added steel in the bumpers, rock rails, etc.

We camp quite a bit, ride bikes, and take a lot of trips with the kids and the dog, so we are looking at the R1S. Either the 135 or the 180 kWH.
Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Hi,
I am Sully. I just ordered last week even though I wanted to order at launch. It has taken me this long to convince my wife:)

I currently drive a 2008 Jeep Wrangler JKU with a 4” lift, 37’s and a lot of added steel in the bumpers, rock rails, etc.

We camp quite a bit, ride bikes, and take a lot of trips with the kids and the dog, so we are looking at the R1S. Either the 135 or the 180 kWH.
Rock on, welcome. Fellow Jeeping (built on 37s), camping, biking, kidding (3), & dogging guy here. ;-)

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Hi,

Same here, I finally convinced her. Ended up getting the R1S since the doggies will fit better in the back and carry the Kayak on the roof. No kids, so ill prob stick with the 5 seater.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Drive a '19 Toy 4Runner TRD-offroad. Love its abilities off-road but old, laggy engine (bulletproof but under-powered). Styling is "manly" but growing stale. Virtually zero tech - no sensor tech, like a 5" screen with ancient interface, etc. Gets maybe 15 mpg in regular driving. Rock-solid just no jazz.

Have a deposit on new Ford Bronco.. managed to get it evening of reveal when ford's website was crashing and pissing everyone off. Still, realistically don't anticipate actually ready to possess until late spring or summer 2021. That puts it around time when Rivian's selling off the line finally. Conflicted between the retro-modern look and capabilities of the Bronco versus ALL THE APPEAL of Rivian EV and vehicle tech. Apples and oranges, I really love both but cannot afford a fruit basket.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Drive a '19 Toy 4Runner TRD-offroad. Love its abilities off-road but old, laggy engine (bulletproof but under-powered). Styling is "manly" but growing stale. Virtually zero tech - no sensor tech, like a 5" screen with ancient interface, etc. Gets maybe 15 mpg in regular driving. Rock-solid just no jazz.

Have a deposit on new Ford Bronco.. managed to get it evening of reveal when ford's website was crashing and pissing everyone off. Still, realistically don't anticipate actually ready to possess until late spring or summer 2021. That puts it around time when Rivian's selling off the line finally. Conflicted between the retro-modern look and capabilities of the Bronco versus ALL THE APPEAL of Rivian EV and vehicle tech. Apples and oranges, I really love both but cannot afford a fruit basket.
Love the new Bronco look. I would be in the same boat if the manual was available with the larger engine

Sponsored

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Rivian R1S LE
Hello People,

This is Prasad from California. I put in a deposit for R1S and super excited to be part of this forum

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Hello People,

This is Prasad from California. I put in a deposit for R1S and super excited to be part of this forum
Welcome! I just placed my preorder last week, but been following Rivian for a while now. I only wish I'd convinced my wife sooner

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Welcome! I just placed my preorder last week, but been following Rivian for a while now. I only wish I'd convinced my wife sooner
See that was your first mistake... I put in my preorder... then started working on convincing my wife... She's on board now... lol :CWL:

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks. In my case I was torn between a Tesla Model X and Rivian R1S. We have the need to replace our current Mazda CX-9 and thus the urge for an SUV. We currently own a Tesla Model 3 and I was purely trying to build a Tesla ecosystem since I also have a Tesla Solar with Powerwall. The price on Model X with some quality issues put me on the backfoot. I can't fathom the fact that a 100K car may have quality problems. This is when I turned to Rivian and I am still in two minds since this is the beginning of their journey and expect some interesting bumps along the way. However their RIS is a lot cheaper than a Model X and I am banking on the fact that Rivian would have learnt from Tesla journey and may make up for some of the blocks.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Thanks. In my case I was torn between a Tesla Model X and Rivian R1S. We have the need to replace our current Mazda CX-9 and thus the urge for an SUV. We currently own a Tesla Model 3 and I was purely trying to build a Tesla ecosystem since I also have a Tesla Solar with Powerwall. The price on Model X with some quality issues put me on the backfoot. I can't fathom the fact that a 100K car may have quality problems. This is when I turned to Rivian and I am still in two minds since this is the beginning of their journey and expect some interesting bumps along the way. However their RIS is a lot cheaper than a Model X and I am banking on the fact that Rivian would have learnt from Tesla journey and may make up for some of the blocks.
Looks like they are definitely prioritizing quality. We will be swapping out my wife's forester. We do some light offroading, so this will be perfect. I think tesla's sc network is the biggest pull they have, but there seem to be plenty other charging networks coming up to speed. This is my first ev so I'm just hoping for the best :D

Sponsored

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Looks like they are definitely prioritizing quality. We will be swapping out my wife's forester. We do some light offroading, so this will be perfect. I think tesla's sc network is the biggest pull they have, but there seem to be plenty other charging networks coming up to speed. This is my first ev so I'm just hoping for the best :D
I couldn't agree more. We recently did a trip to Mammoth Lakes, California in our Model 3 and were amazed to find a Super Charger there. However what was astonishing is that there is no other third party DC/Fast Chargers in the city. This does make me feel nervous when planning trips to such places in a Rivian

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I couldn't agree more. We recently did a trip to Mammoth Lakes, California in our Model 3 and were amazed to find a Super Charger there. However what was astonishing is that there is no other third party DC/Fast Chargers in the city. This does make me feel nervous when planning trips to such places in a Rivian
Rivian is supposed to place fast chargers in known off road areas too. I heard that some of them are already getting permits, but I'm sure it'll just keep growing. I was checking the better route planner since I travel once or twice a year from FL to PA and Boston and there seems to be quite a lot of chargers on the way. Def range anxiety is an issue for me though...

prasadtakkar

First Name
Prasad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian is supposed to place fast chargers in known off road areas too. I heard that some of them are already getting permits, but I'm sure it'll just keep growing. I was checking the better route planner since I travel once or twice a year from FL to PA and Boston and there seems to be quite a lot of chargers on the way. Def range anxiety is an issue for me though...
With every other manufacturer jumping on the EV Wagon, its only a matter of time that every gas station will have EV charger too. Sony just announced an EV car too so another proof that this is the tech that will boom

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
Hey y'all! I've been on the forum for about a month now and have been keeping track on Rivian for about twice that. My wife and I just put down a deposit on an R1T last night and we are both very excited. We are definitely on the low side of the age demographic for this expensive of a vehicle since we are in our 20's but we figured that we could cut out some overseas trips we wanted to do in the future and instead use the truck to take us on some adventures here in the US!

Right now we are planning on getting the 135kWh battery with an RJ Blue exterior and a forest green interior (assuming that those colors don't clash too much). I'm glad to have a spot in the line but there are still some things I need answered before I would convert that deposit into an actual order. Those are:
  • What warranty coverage will it come with
  • What will the final cost be after options
  • How will the service be in my area (South East)
  • How does it drive (definitely not dropping $70k+ until I drive one)
Obviously there is a lot more information I want to know but I think these are the four things that will determine if I purchase or not.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Hey y'all! I've been on the forum for about a month now and have been keeping track on Rivian for about twice that. My wife and I just put down a deposit on an R1T last night and we are both very excited. We are definitely on the low side of the age demographic for this expensive of a vehicle since we are in our 20's but we figured that we could cut out some overseas trips we wanted to do in the future and instead use the truck to take us on some adventures here in the US!

Right now we are planning on getting the 135kWh battery with an RJ Blue exterior and a forest green interior (assuming that those colors don't clash too much). I'm glad to have a spot in the line but there are still some things I need answered before I would convert that deposit into an actual order. Those are:
  • What warranty coverage will it come with
  • What will the final cost be after options
  • How will the service be in my area (South East)
  • How does it drive (definitely not dropping $70k+ until I drive one)
Obviously there is a lot more information I want to know but I think these are the four things that will determine if I purchase or not.
Hey there!

Happy you're excited for your R1T. Out by me (central Illinois) 70k pickups and rough and tumble 20 something pipefitter's and tradesman is very common.

I'm most excited to join in the pickup fun out here in Illinois and am so excited to watch heads spin when my new electric pickup truck rolls around town, and pulls way ahead of all these others 70k+ trucks driving around.

The R1T is gonna be quite the game changer!
Sponsored