Sponsored

Introductions! Drop in and say hello new and old members...

HackyMoto

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 (Gray), Toyota Highlander (Gray)
Occupation
Engineer
Anyone on here find themselves wondering who these members are ? Like age, professions, societal contributions? I find myself wondering who I am actually responding to or reading a post of. Is that just me? No offense to anyone in here but I do believe it’s an older crowd. Am I wrong?
I'm 48. Originally from Scotland and work as an engineer. Hopefully I'm not too old :)
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Hello Everyone,

My name is DuckTruck, and I'm an Autoholic. It started in my youth when, at the age of 16, my parents allowed me to experiment with a '63 Chev Impala 4-door no post. Although I didn't move on to any heavier stuff in high school, while away at college, my folks allowed me to play with a '69 Caprice Estate wagon. They're no longer here to ask, but I suspect they unloaded this on me to see if they couldn't break my addiction early. No such luck...

Shortly after graduating from college, my problems escalated when I traded that Family Truckster in for a brand new 1980 Volkswagen Sirocco S. Although this was a fairly sporty car, I needed more excitement. That's when I found an old family friend looking to get rid of a '63 Corvair convertible. What better way to get the blood pumping than to ride around in an open top car that has a reputation for flipping over? With 91 octane and a tailwind, while going downhill, you could easily hit 60 in under a minute and half, at least with the top up.

That excitement ultimately lead to a '65 'Vette two-top, a '91 Taurus SHO, a '95 Acura Legend, and an '03 Mazda Tribute (two days after resuing a manic Labby). The Legend and Corvair remain, along with a '15 XC60 R-Design, a '16 Cadillac ELR PHEV, and a '95 BMW 325i Convertible that runs well, but needs some work. I've always said "It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit." Getting the garage wired with a Chargepoint Home Flex in advance of the R1T.

I realize I still need to make amends and apologize to all those vehicles I've mistreated or abandoned in my misspent life. I've always thought I'd do it when I had the time, kind of like cleaning my home. As this pandemic shutdown has proven, it's turns out that time isn't the issue.

Good to hear from all of you and I look forward to hearing more as we slog our way towards D-Day and then through some great future Adventures.

For anyone still here at this point, your support is therapeutic and greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I am Alan and have a December reservation for an R1T. In 2017 I bought a new 2016 GMC Terrain and was ready to go 100% electric at that time if it had been available so the R1T is what I am looking for.

Missoula where I live is one of the 4 largest cities in Montana and it has one Tesla high speed charger, one Tesla destination charger at a bnb and 2 pathetic public chargers which will give a Nissan Leaf 10 miles of range after an hour charge. It looks like the 220 outlet in my garage will get a workout.

I expect lots of dirt road driving with very little off road miles account I see the damage vehicles do to Montana's natural grasses and streams.

My plan is to ride Amtrak from Whitefish to the Chicago area to take delivery after manufacture and get some EV driving instructions. Insurance for a $90,000 vehicle with aluminum unibody has got to be expensive.
Alan,

I reserved an R1T in February of 2019, but only recently found this forum. Like you, I'm looking at making a land-based trip by Amtrak to Normal to pick up my R1T, hopefully this Summer. In all directions from Missoula, you must have thousands of miles of roads and trails you can explore. What a perfect vehicle for Montana!

Unless you know something the rest of us don't, you're going to be taking a lengthy, clockwise loop home through Denver and back up through Utah and Idaho to get home, correct? Best of luck getting your elected officials and businesses to support some high-speed charging infrastructure East of you to allow EVs to visit and traverse your beautiful state. I hope they understand the less visible long-term costs of not building one.

Take care!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Sounds like a nice trip. But don't worry about the driving instructions. There are really only two things different from driving an ICE vehicle: regenerative braking and neck-snapping acceleration. Getting used to regenerative braking takes about 15 seconds, after which you'll never want to be without it. The acceleration is something you'll never want to get used to; it makes every trip a new hoot. Rough on the tires, though. I get 10-12,000 miles per set on my Tesla P90D.
Hmp10,

Well stated! That perma-grin I see on every passenger's face the first time I stomp on it and they feel the "Rush with the Hush" gets me every time. ?

Last edited:

snakebitten

First Name
Len
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F250, Nissan Frontier & '65 Vette
Newbie here, located in the Lone Star State, close too Aggieland. Recently put a deposit on Rivian. Getting rid of my 2013 F250 diesel and replacing with Rivian or F150 EV.

Sponsored

Jsidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
Newbie here, located in the Lone Star State, close too Aggieland. Recently put a deposit on Rivian. Getting rid of my 2013 F250 diesel and replacing with Rivian or F150 EV.
Welcome! Team TX just keeps growing (ATX here).
Hope you survived the snow storm alright!

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Gig 'em! Austin now, but spent some quality years in Aggieland (a couple more than I should've).

I originally preordered an R1T, but realized it couldn't truly replace my HD diesel. Switched to R1S to replace my daily driver instead, but still all in on Rivian!

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Leaf, Subaru Outback
Occupation
Software Engineer
Hi folks, this seems to be the sparse introduction forum. I’m Dennis, live near Boston, anxiously waiting R1T delivery news. I’m pessimistic because I was late to the game (learned about Rivian via Long Way Up) but at the same time I have high hopes because I managed to snag a LE configuration, which I understand is a bit like accidentally discovering plutonium.

While I wait I’m here looking for DIY solar charger ideas, so I’ll be lurking in the charging forums.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Hey Riviots,

Im Allen 35 live in Chicago. I work on and with equipment in the construction industry. Always been a car guy was big into off-road Toyotas then had an R1 sport bike decided to stop gambling with my life and bought my turbo Lotus. Sold my Tacoma and bought my dream truck a Hummer H1.

Saw the Rivian at the LA auto show and not only was it incredible but the team that was there showed so much excitement for the truck that they want to build and see come to production. This truck will be faster than the Lotus in a straight line and if they get the traction management system dialed in right it will be better off-road than the Hummer.

Now the dilemma I did the Pre-order before I was married now the Wife says I have to get rid of one of the toys if I get the Rivian. Which would you guys let loose in place of the R1T?

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Welcome Allen,
Personally I'd loose the H1. If the H1 is your dream car then is getting rid of the fusion acceptable to the wifey, the R1T is a legitimate daily driver for many. If not it's technically an option to let go of the wife... just keeping all options on the table.

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Welcome Allen,
Personally I'd loose the H1. If the H1 is your dream car then is getting rid of the fusion acceptable to the wifey, the R1T is a legitimate daily driver for many. If not it's technically an option to let go of the wife... just keeping all options on the table.
I wish its more down to spots in the garage Fusion stays out side Rivian would be in the garage on the charger. Im kind of thinking the same thing it is the adventure vehicle but then again the lotus doesn't get driven much here in Chicago with the pot holes here.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Hey Riviots,

Im Allen 35 live in Chicago. I work on and with equipment in the construction industry. Always been a car guy was big into off-road Toyotas then had an R1 sport bike decided to stop gambling with my life and bought my turbo Lotus. Sold my Tacoma and bought my dream truck a Hummer H1.

Saw the Rivian at the LA auto show and not only was it incredible but the team that was there showed so much excitement for the truck that they want to build and see come to production. This truck will be faster than the Lotus in a straight line and if they get the traction management system dialed in right it will be better off-road than the Hummer.

Now the dilemma I did the Pre-order before I was married now the Wife says I have to get rid of one of the toys if I get the Rivian. Which would you guys let loose in place of the R1T?
The wife... ?

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Hi-

I’m Rob from Orange County, about 20 minutes from Rivian’s Irvine facility. I’ve had a PHEV for just about 4 years and I’m looking forward to getting a BEV.

My husband and I saw the Rivian R1S at the L.A. Auto show years ago and thought it would make a great replacement for our Land Rover LR3 which we actually take off road. A lot.

Since we’re both car guys and there is no responsible adult in our household, we configured an R1S and put down a deposit earlier this month. While spending this much money on a new vehicle from a new manufacturer with an unknown track record seemed little risky at first, I’m assuming that Rivian has more at stake regarding quality if they want to survive.

-Rob

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

IHScout

First Name
Waid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevrolet Volt, Expedition
Hi-

I’m Rob from Orange County, about 20 minutes from Rivian’s Irvine facility. I’ve had a PHEV for just about 4 years and I’m looking forward to getting a BEV.

My husband and I saw the Rivian R1S at the L.A. Auto show years ago and thought it would make a great replacement for our Land Rover LR3 which we actually take off road. A lot.

Since we’re both car guys and there is no responsible adult in our household, we configured an R1S and put down a deposit earlier this month. While spending this much money on a new vehicle from a new manufacturer with an unknown track record seemed little risky at first, I’m assuming that Rivian has more at stake regarding quality if they want to survive.

-Rob
Welcome Rob. Since you mentioned you are not a responsible adult, do you think you could take a day off from work and just stalk any Rivian vehicle leaving the plant to capture additional photos for the forum? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored