Sponsored

Introductions! Drop in and say hello new and old members...

ACDC

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Outback, 2012 Tacoma
Overall "car guy" here that made a reservation back in December.

I am an offroad guy that also likes to go fast. All about the overall utility and performance of the R1S...I hope it will be my go everywhere, haul ass, family-toting chariot.

I'll keep my HD diesel truck for pulling the fifth wheel & general tow duty, but incredibly excited to join the EV ranks for a primary vehicle.
Welcome. Sounds like the R1S is gonna be perfect for you then. :rock:
Sponsored

Aurum

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S Dual Motor Max Pack
I'm a guy in southeast US driving his wife's car (Nissan sentra) after she recently got a new car when the time came but she went with a Tacoma (not really enough room for family and not enough internal storage). Looking to go all electric in a couple years when it's time for me to replace. I want something that will provide plenty of internal storage space and have a third row in case we are with the grandparents and the kids need to go in the back. I also want something our dog can hop in the back and run along with us here and there. Preordered R1S about 2 months ago and am patiently waiting and saving.

I will entertain the Tesla Model Y due to the lower price, but at heart I really want the R1S. So many more features that I feel it's worth the probable 10-12k difference in price, especially with the tax credit (as long as it's still there). Just waiting to see how things turn out over the next 12 months.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
My plan is to ride Amtrak from Whitefish to the Chicago area to take delivery after manufacture and get some EV driving instructions.
Sounds like a nice trip. But don't worry about the driving instructions. There are really only two things different from driving an ICE vehicle: regenerative braking and neck-snapping acceleration. Getting used to regenerative braking takes about 15 seconds, after which you'll never want to be without it. The acceleration is something you'll never want to get used to; it makes every trip a new hoot. Rough on the tires, though. I get 10-12,000 miles per set on my Tesla P90D.

JeremyK

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevrolet Bolt, 1994 Dodge Stealth TT, Factory 5 Cobra Replica, 2007 KTM 990, 2004 Suzuki Hayabusa, 1971 Yamaha R1
Jeremy here. I've posted under the same handle on GMVolt, InsideEVs, and other car sites for years but am excited to see what's happening at Rivian.

I'm an EV enthusiast and closely followed the development of the Volt, Bolt, and Model 3. I've often been critical of Tesla over the years and their non-traditional approach to vehicle validation and testing (or lack thereof). I hope Rivian avoids these mistakes.

Perhaps most impressive to me is that Rivian has been doing much of this vehicle development right under the noses of the Big 3 in Detroit. Despite working as an engineer for GM, Rivian can count me a future potential customer. Great looking truck, fantastic specs...and right now, the only game in town.

LionLeo

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150
I'm Charlie and I live in the Seattle area. I don't have a reservation yet since these dream machines are out of my price range right now, but I'll be following them every step of the way, specifically the R1T. I'm keeping an eye out for the Tesla truck too, however there's little they could do (outside of price) to make me move away from wanting a Rivian. I like the idea of electric cars because they seem crazy fun to drive with excellent performance, are low maintenance, and have a technology cool factor that makes them feel like they're from the future; but I've found over the years I need a truck to fit my lifestyle so nothing on the market really suits me yet. The R1T fills those wants for me.

The Rivian style in general looks great to me (interior and exterior) and their mission of creating a truck for adventure but still heavy on technology and comfort fits me really well. I'm not a heavy off-road person, but my family and I enjoy getting outdoors to explore Washington (we're new here) and road trips, this seems like a great vehicle for both. The range seems great for a long drive to a location before getting out to explore while the truck charges before going to the next destination. I would love to travel all of Route 66 in this thing!

I had a 2009 Nissan Frontier up until a couple of years ago when I was able to move-up to a 2014 F150. I'm 6'3" and the smaller size trucks just don't work as well for me comfort-wise. I really like new tech and the R1T to me is the ultimate gadget. I'm excited to hear more about everything it has to offer.

Sponsored

BKphoto

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.billy-kidd.com
Vehicles
2016 Land Rover Range Rover Td6
Occupation
Photographer
Hey all,

First timer here to a car forum, my name is Billy. Excited about the R1S. Iā€™m in NYC and upstate driving a 2016 Land Rover Range Rover TD6. Excited for this electric SUV to drive back and forth yet still be able to work on my propert up in the Catskills. I must admit itā€™s tough to decide between the truck and the SUV but the 7 seats tipped the scale for me enough. Itā€™ll be interesting to see when those back seats are down how much room you actually have.

JeffOutWest

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Wrangler
Jeff from Santa Clara. Extremely excited about the R1T and also R1S; not as excited about the price, it's about 20k more than ideal, although certainly the right thing for Rivian to do as a company.

rivcofan

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour
Craig from Denver, CO. I pre-ordered the R1S and I can't wait to take this SUV up to the mountains with my family. I'm a previous Jeep Wrangler owner and I am curious to see how well the Rivian does on some light trails. I'm also looking forward to aftermarket products when they become available.

ElectricTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Chevy Bolt
As much as I want a R1T I think rugged off roaders should and will stick with the Wrangler. I am surrounded by light desert trails and that is fine.

JeffOutWest

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma, Wrangler
As much as I want a R1T I think rugged off roaders should and will stick with the Wrangler. I am surrounded by light desert trails and that is fine.
I drove a new wrangler a few weekends ago and thought it was a little tiring on the highway.. but for what it is, there is nothing that compares to it.. I do pretty light offroading and have been for a few years, so I feel like I could take the Rivian offroad and not ding it up, but it is always a matter of margin for error, and risk... and I would be nervous with a 70k+ vehicle off road for sure...

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I'll still have my Jeeps for rock crawling & serious stuff. My Rivian will see mainly pavement duty, but I won't hesitate to take to the hunting lease or other light/moderate offroad where 4x4 is needed but there's no real risk of damage. Shoot, I won't even take it where it could get brush scratches due to the amount of investment.

cllc

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, Subaru Forrester, Ford F250 Superduty
Occupation
Electrician
Hi all, put our deposit for R1S for my wife to get rid of the Forrester, She loves driving my Model 3 and the forrester is not so fun anymore, No gas is great. Was considering a Model X but it can't beat the ground clearance, price any many other details that Rivian looks to be bringing out. Now I can quit looking and just wait for hopefully a good experience.

EVian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 330e
Hi all, Steve from the UK here. Guess Iā€™ve got a long wait until I can even put a deposit down, but eagerly watching this forum nonetheless. Have a BMW 3 series hybrid (330e) currently, and wanting to go full electric.

Was first attracted to the truck after ignoring it for a while with its odd face, but was won over by the story, the company and the CEO. We have a dog now though so the SUV may be more suited. Our other car is an X3, and now with the dog taking up half of the ā€˜trunkā€™ we need a bigger vehicle, but weā€™d replace my 3 series as the wife wouldnā€™t drive such a large SUV. Considering a used Model X as a temporary solution until the R1S hits our shores.

Letā€™s see how things turn out!

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
Welcome to the forum Steve (@EVian)! Hopefully your wait to submit a pre-order won't be too long.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Hello future Rivian owners,

I am Lionel from the SF Bay Area. I placed my reservation back in March. I have always wanted to have a vehicle that was fast, nimble, and had the off-road ability and the Rivian's seem to meet all the check-boxes.

I did get to met RJ and Charles at the Overland Expo West in Flagstaff this year and got to touch the interior and exterior of the car. Saw the cook stove in action!

Since I was a reservation holder they allowed me to get behind the ropes which was cool. The passion of the Rivian employees was consistent from the greeters to RJ. We were able to spend time with RJ for about 45 minutes along with a reporter and another fellow Rivian hopeful (at the time he was not a reservation holder from SF, but flew down like me to see the Rivian).

My wife was luke-warm to the Rivian but after listening to RJ and Charles, she got excited about the company.

The fact that Rivian looked at the secondary market as design criteria was very cool. They are not just wanting to make a buck, they are respectful of the environment as well. Did you know they designed the batteries to be able to plug and play into a home to store electricity as a secondary use if your Rivian gets totaled or naturally expires. RJ said the battery would outlast the vehicle. One Rivian vehicle can support powering five homes per, RJ. How cool is that, and all these prototypes they have built, the batteries are being donated to Puerto Rico to help certain villages be self sustaining after the last hurricane.

Any way cool company and great forum! I am looking forward to all of us sharing new information as we get them!

Maybe I will some of you at the SF event later this year.
Sponsored