Sponsored

Introductions! Drop in and say hello new and old members...

md11phlyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T White/Quad/Adv 22s, Cessna 310Q
Hola! R1T is "in transit" to Austin. Still stressing this tonneau issue as it looks like I'll be the last of the Mohicans with the old power cover. Great forum.
Sponsored

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
Au revoir for at least a couple years (if I'm still hanging in there) It's been a good fun forum to belong to and check in regularly especially with the local service centre getting going. But see no need to look in on Rivian updates.

I just don't think at this point I can believe anything...

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Au revoir for at least a couple years (if I'm still hanging in there) It's been a good fun forum to belong to and check in regularly especially with the local service centre getting going. But see no need to look in on Rivian updates.

I just don't think at this point I can believe anything...
It’s gonna be like seeing a lying ex around town whenever I go west and see a rivian on the road 🫠

Sponsored

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

Hello been watching the forums for some time but I just took delivery of my R1T, El Cap Granite and FE Interior.
Congrats. I love the FE.

TxBeachRivian

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura
Clubs

So I was just wondering. Is it odd that I don’t have the truck yet but I’ve still installed the app on my phone? 🤔🤣
Did the same thing before I got mine. It is kind of sad when I opened it and it said you don’t have a vehicle yet. Hopefully that will be rectified soon for you.

Ogryry

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Self
I just received my first R1T today! Yes, I said first... :oops:

Limestone/Ashwood

Looking forward to learning more about this truck and all the cool shit it can do!

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hi. New here, but I have been around the EV community a while.

I come from a hot-rodding/street car building background. In the late 90's, I got entwined in GM's EV1 debacle, prompting me to focus my efforts more on electric transportation. I ended up working with and consulting with ZAP, ZEN, Sparrow, Barefoot, Zero, Brammo and others in the fledgling EV space. I founded and ran Grants Pass Electric Vehicles, which became the largest licensed EV dealership in the US. As Chinese Lithium cells became more available, I designed and built packs and BMSs for OEMs making the lithium leap.

If memory serves, it was circa 2005 when GM sued me because my BMS design was too close to thiers. It was not lost on us that GM did not make any EVs at that point, and had killed off the EV1 only a short time earlier. It was also relevant that my design, nor any similar design was used in the EV1. I of course did not have the horsepower to go up against GM in a patent fight, so there was that.

Grants Pass Electric Vehicles remained in business and provided early adopters a chance at an EV until the OEMs started producing "real" EVs in 2009.

I am retired, but continue to be an EV enthusiast, and these days I collect them. I still consult and take interesting design jobs. I hold reservations with Tesla, Chevrolet and GMC for EV trucks but was not an early reservation holder with Rivian. I have been impressed with Rivian's design and vision from the start, but mass producing a vehicle is far more difficult than most appreciate. Rivian has not made the leap Tesla did with the M3 into becoming a "real" car maker yet; but I am sure rooting for them!!

I had a reservation for a F150 Lightning, because I need a pickup. Then I got a look inside their pack design. Yikes, too many rookie mistakes in that design. That pack will suffer a lot of early failures due to hot-spotting with its sandwiched pouches and poor cooling.

Rivian, on the other hand, unabashedly copied Teslas packs. Smart. It is a proven design, and will last much longer all things being equal. Add the fact that the R1S is a gorgeous truck, and, well, here I am. They got my reservation money.

hi.

Sponsored

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Welcome to the forum.

Looking forward to your contributions to the forum.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

I come from a hot-rodding/street car building background. In the late 90's, I got entwined in GM's EV1 debacle, prompting me to focus my efforts more on electric transportation. I ended up working with and consulting with ZAP, ZEN, Sparrow, Barefoot, Zero, Brammo and others in the fledgling EV space. I founded and ran Grants Pass Electric Vehicles, which became the largest licensed EV dealership in the US. As Chinese Lithium cells became more available, I designed and built packs and BMSs for OEMs making the lithium leap.

If memory serves, it was circa 2005 when GM sued me because my BMS design was too close to thiers. It was not lost on us that GM did not make any EVs at that point, and had killed off the EV1 only a short time earlier. It was also relevant that my design, nor any similar design was used in the EV1. I of course did not have the horsepower to go up against GM in a patent fight, so there was that.

Grants Pass Electric Vehicles remained in business and provided early adopters a chance at an EV until the OEMs started producing "real" EVs in 2009.

I am retired, but continue to be an EV enthusiast, and these days I collect them. I still consult and take interesting design jobs. I hold reservations with Tesla, Chevrolet and GMC for EV trucks but was not an early reservation holder with Rivian. I have been impressed with Rivian's design and vision from the start, but mass producing a vehicle is far more difficult than most appreciate. Rivian has not made the leap Tesla did with the M3 into becoming a "real" car maker yet; but I am sure rooting for them!!

I had a reservation for a F150 Lightning, because I need a pickup. Then I got a look inside their pack design. Yikes, too many rookie mistakes in that design. That pack will suffer a lot of early failures due to hot-spotting with its sandwiched pouches and poor cooling.

Rivian, on the other hand, unabashedly copied Teslas packs. Smart. It is a proven design, and will last much longer all things being equal. Add the fact that the R1S is a gorgeous truck, and, well, here I am. They got my reservation money.

hi.
Welcome! Glad to have you and your wealth of knowledge here in the forum. Great group of people here.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

hi.
That's an impressive CV! I once flirted with the idea of converting my 1998 Jeep XJ to electric but the cost just doesn't justify it sadly.

R.I.P.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Cadillac ELR, Rivian R1T, Jeep TJ, F250
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
That's an impressive CV! I once flirted with the idea of converting my 1998 Jeep XJ to electric but the cost just doesn't justify it sadly.
I have been involved in a couple of Jeep conversions. They are awful vehicles, and make no sense to convert.

I know, because I have never been able to stop owning Jeeps. Their shape means they get lousy mileage, and there is always something breaking and falling off. I estimate I have over $150k into my curent TJ. What a waste. I can't help myself, who does not love Jeeps?

I fully expect to do a "modern" conversion on my current Jeep the next time I blow either an engine or a transmission. It makes no sense financially, and it will have terrible range/pack size ratio, but damn... have you seen the slick kits that you can buy for these things now?
:like:

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I know, because I have never been able to stop owning Jeeps. Their shape means they get lousy mileage, and there is always something breaking and falling off. I estimate I have over $150k into my curent TJ. What a waste. I can't help myself, who does not love Jeeps?

:like:
Annnnd that's exactly why mine is listed for sale right now. My bank account can't survive owning both a Rivian and a Jeep. Not when I'm looking at $25k or so just to get something that can go about 100 miles on a full charge.
Sponsored