Sponsored

Introductions! Drop in and say hello new and old members...

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Few Cars + Pre-Order R1S
New here!!! Name is Win. Not long ago, I've decided to put down order on R1S and I felt great, knowing that this company is going to be prosper in the long run and not only that to challenge other EVs car manufactures out there. Thanks to the idea of RIVIAN forums, great job and looking forward whoever gets R1T for their 1st impression.
Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

New here!!! Name is Win. Not long ago, I've decided to put down order on R1S and I felt great, knowing that this company is going to be prosper in the long run and not only that to challenge other EVs car manufactures out there. Thanks to the idea of RIVIAN forums, great job and looking forward whoever gets R1T for their 1st impression.
For one, welcome aboard and congrats on becoming a Riviot! Secondly, we all hope to be the first, if not at least one of the first to receive our R1T's, to share how the actual production versions run.

Stay tuned and enjoy the company here in the Forums!

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Hello Everyone,

I am here because YouTube algorithm has succeeded in convincing me that buying stuff will make me happy. Not only that, the more expensive the toy, the happier I will be. So I ordered an R1S. I really like the towing capacity and full size spare in R1T but I also like to be able to lock the bikes inside and may even sleep in the vehicle on occasion. So I was torn a bit and hope to find a thread with folks with similar dilemma sharing their thoughts.

I know I am at the end of the line but I have no clue what that means. Any of you have a best guess roughly what it translate to time wise?

Looking forward to chatting with you all on all things Rivian.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Max,

Welcome to The Forums! You’re jumping in at a great time. Things have started to move at a pretty good clip and it’s getting faster by the week, if not by the day.

Enjoy the talk, and the ride!

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Hello Everyone,

I am here because YouTube algorithm has succeeded in convincing me that buying stuff will make me happy. Not only that, the more expensive they toy, the happier I will be. So I ordered an R1S. I really like the towing capacity and full size spare in R1T but I also like to be able to lock the bikes inside and may be even sleep in the vehicle on occasion. So I was thorn a bit and hope to find a thread with folks with similar dilemma share their thoughts.

I know I am at the end of the line but I have no clue what that means. Any of you have a best guess roughly what it translate to time wise?

Looking forward to chatting with you all on all things Rivian.
Hi Max, I actually think the truck looks better but with dogs and a Kayak, I'm opting for the R1S. However, the latest pics of the R1T show a gear tunnel connection to the cabin... maybe AC will be able to cool the tunnel, and it could work to provide treats... JK.
I've messaged the CS reps a few times telling them that a full size spare is needed on the R1S or at least getting an accessory for carrying one, but nothing as of yet. There are a few aftermarket accessories for a full size spare connecting to the hitch, but I'm waiting to see the actual camera and sensor locations before getting one.
Time wise, I preordered on Aug 2020 R1S LE, but I'm not expecting anything until ~3rd quarter next year. However, I'll probably chat with my Guide around Thanksgiving, so he should provide a better time-line.

Reactions: Max

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Welcome to The Forums! You’re jumping in at a great time. Things have started to move at a pretty good clip and it’s getting faster by the week, if not by the day.

Enjoy the talk, and the ride!
DuckTruck, I appreciate the kind and reassuring remarks.

... maybe AC will be able to cool the tunnel, and it could work to provide treats... JK.
Babbuino,

Thanks for sharing. What tires did you choose? I know I am in minority but I just don’t get this big wheel craze. I like meaty tires and I am not sure why 21“ is standard instead of 20” or even 18” on an adventure vehicle. But I thought road tires may be more efficient so I left it at 21. Around me off road is urban legend. So except when I travel my Rivian probably will spend most of it’s life on pavement. But I will certainly will be looking for it after I get mine.

p.s. It looks like people put more than dogs in the tunnel:

Rivian R1T R1S Introductions! Drop in and say hello new and old members... 1630496189785

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
DuckTruck, I appreciate the kind and reassuring remarks.

Babbuino,

Thanks for sharing. What tires did you choose? I know I am in minority but I just don’t get this big wheel craze. I like meaty tires and I am not sure why 21“ is standard instead of 20” or even 18” on an adventure vehicle. But I thought road tires may be more efficient so I left it at 21. Around me off road is urban legend. So except when I travel my Rivian probably will spend most of it’s life on pavement. But I will certainly will be looking for it after I get mine.

p.s. It looks like people put more than dogs in the tunnel:

1630496189785.jpeg
Most efficient 21s, mid 22s, worst 20s. The percentage of how much range is lost between the tires is still unknown. However, I'm getting the 20s since replacing them with a different, more efficient road tire should be easier than replacing the odd 21s since noone else uses 21s. I don't know if 18s will fit with those huuuge calipers.

BigSkies

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Clubs

Hello from Denver!

I'm joining, as I'm simultaneously trying to talk myself into spending $70K+ on a Rivian, and trying to talk myself out of spending $70K+ on a vehicle of any type. Maybe I'll justify it, and maybe I won't.

I personally like the R1T better, but the R1S would be more practical for my everyday life.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Hello from Denver!

I'm joining, as I'm simultaneously trying to talk myself into spending $70K+ on a Rivian, and trying to talk myself out of spending $70K+ on a vehicle of any type. Maybe I'll justify it, and maybe I won't.

I personally like the R1T better, but the R1S would be more practical for my everyday life.
BigSkies,

Well, it looks like you came to the right place. You'll find no shortage of opinions here to support either Rivian. There are many that have a reservation for each. If you have questions, ask away! You'll get plenty of different takes and input you may not have thought of or considered before.

It's good to have you onboard!

Enjoy!

YamaLink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
My deposit is the R1T after many, many months telling myself I wanted the R1S. Haven't owned a truck since my '07 Tacoma (lifelong Toyota truck family).

Currently enjoying a 2021 Model 3 AWD LR with acceleration boost; purchased after 1.5 years of scouring every YT and forum post to make sure the realities of being an EV owner fit my life. This will be my first winter with EV, excited to see if I get the 40% range loss and if I'm smart enough to pre-heat the interior before opening the garage. Based on my summer data of 342 actual miles in the M3 (my model is one of two Teslas that didn't blatantly fib on their range), I predict 185 miles in the dead of winter. Ironically enough, the Tesla supercharger advantage was never used. I had 1000 free charger miles, didn't use one since all my trips were local/work from home. My R1T is the 300mi pack so range anxiety isn't an issue for my needs. I planned to get 21", but may get 20" and swap to a more pavement efficient tread.

I don't "need" a truck. I want the performance and presumably better interior and build quality of the Rivian. Don't expect to see my Rivian until late 2022, but maybe sooner; Ford had 200,000 Bronco reservations and only 125,000 were completed purchases so I'm hoping R1T has a higher cancellation rate after new EV euphoria subsides and deposits are cancelled after many get grumpy with the range "issue" of the 20/21/22 wheel packages. One can hope.

Last edited:

Sponsored

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

Hello Everyone! New to the forum, but not new to Rivian. Saw the reveal in LA Auto Show and been a deposit holder since Dec 10, 2018. Originally configured White Launch Edition with Ocean Coast, and with the 22"s, Camp Kitchen and tent. Switched to Launch Green prior to the recent "reveal" pictures and anxious to see it in person. I also attended the Atlanta event in 2019 where i saw up close the R1T in LA Silver, and the R1S in Forest Green. Both are stunning. The Forest Green with the Ocean Coast is absolutely stunning. They had a yellow kayak on top and that complimented the Rivian yellow calipers on the brakes.

There's been so much information on this forum that has been useful in keeping the flame burning while we all wait patiently for our rides. I can say that I was number 310 on the Fisker Karma but bailed after the test drive and the quality issues that were even on the demo vehicles. Moved that deposit to Telsa Model 3, but post the LA show, immediately cancelled Tesla and moved the deposit to the R1T. I am not moving it again!!! I will patiently await my guides call (by the way my birthday's the 16th, so a call then would be great!) and get my configuration nailed down. I actually drove from Charlotte to Northern Wisconsin about a month ago and stopped in Normal to see the factory right after DuckTruck's experience. The factory is huge to say the least. I did drive through the parking lot, but there were no spots to be found to park and they were running shuttles from a remote lot to the front of the building.

Alpina B7's got 106,000 miles on it and thought i'd be in the R1T by now, but gonna ride this one till the wheels fall off or the R1T arrives. I can sympathize with those concerned about the blowouts on the 21 or 22's. The Alpina has 21's on it and about 3" sidewall, and they are not pothole friendly, as my family can attest to having to take an Uber from the interstate to a hotel while i spent the next 6 hours waiting on AAA and then a tire store that could find the replacement tire. I'm still leaning toward 22's only because i don't live near many places I'd be doing rough off the road traveling. Looking forward to fly fishing up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway, camping out by the stream, and cooking what I catch....or going hungry trying!

Anxiously awaiting any news at all about a service center anywhere between DC and Miami. Right now it seems that the Southeast has been left in the cold, despite all the charging station plans all up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway. Hoping to get a call "SooN" and since i know where the plant is now, would be more than willing to do my guide tour in Normal, and on my dime to get there!

Wishing everyone patience as we await the arrival of our new babies!

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Finally convinced the bank (wife) to allow me to put down a preorder on an R1S. I had to use every trick from my sales experience to win her over.

Have been intrigued by Rivian since the first look in '18 and really liked what I've seen and heard from RJ (compared to others in the industry). Have been obsessed for the last year or so as more information came out. The MT article finally convinced me it was time for fear that it would drive preorders through the roof and I'd be waiting until '23 or longer to get one delivered.

Went with the S in Forest Green on 21"s with Ocean interior (bold move with one 7 month old and another planned but I like to live dangerously).

McMoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Hi everyone,

I have an R1S explore reservation that I placed a few months ago.

I’ve been a car enthusiast since I was a kid. My first car was a 92 Ford Taurus SHO. I then had a 95 Camaro Z28, 04 Dodge SRT-4 (modified for track days at Watkins Glen) then an 06 Civic Si and now a 19 Tesla Model 3 performance. All the cars were manuals before the Tesla but the regen feels similar, which I love.

We have 3 kids 3 and under so I’m highly considering replacing the model 3 with the R1S. The performance and space are quite intriguing and hands free highway driving would be awesome. Also, not sure I’ll see many of them in St. Louis either, whereas I see a dozen Tesla’s a day.

I keep going back and forth on the 20” vs 22” wheels. I have no idea where I would go off-roading, and never have in my life, but it sounds like it would be so much fun. I know I’ll enjoy the added grip of the 22” wheels and slightly better range for road trips. My wife also likes them more so that’s a plus!

I hope Rivian can figure out test drives in the coming months and I’d even prefer to make the few hour drive to Normal!

Looking forward to seeing these delivered and getting some more real world reviews.

linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

Hi my name is David. I have been interested in the R1T since the LA auto show in 2018. Did not have the money to put in a preorder until last week. So it going to be sometime before I get mine... But that's ok I will be ready before mines comes in. This will be first full EV. I'm not a tesla guy what so ever. I want a Rivian to be my first EV!

Jnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Jeep Wrangler, Tesla Model X
Clubs

Hi all,

Joe here, from NJ. Been lurking on the forum for a bit, but recently (finally) put down a deposit on a R1T after being close to pulling the trigger many times before. I currently drive a Wrangler, and my wife drives a Tesla MX, so a little familiar with what it’s like to live with an EV. I used to have a pickup, and looking forward to having one again when my R1T is delivered (2023?). can’t wait to see some of you getting your Rivians soon!
Sponsored