Sponsored

Introduction Lucid DreamDrive (I wish Rivian would do this)

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
it's interesting they have (what appears to be) forward pointing Lidar. Interesting way to (potentially) reduce the shit ton of data coming in with lidar.

ATL_Canes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90; R1T LE (Delivered April 2022)
Sooo... it's AP1? Kidding. Sort of.

Holy sh*t I'm going to sound old again (I'm 42 going on 70 apparently) - for those that have the functionality, do a lot of people use the auto parking features (either perpendicular or parallel)? I had it in the last two cars (Model S and XC90), and found it difficult to engage, and then it takes much longer than just parking myself.

And while I'm at it - what's the fascination with having a car drive itself for you? I like the adaptive cruise control/Autopilot v1 concept of handling highway driving, but I've never understood this desire for the super expensive, ultra high performance car to drive itself. I want to drive it!

And what's the deal with... (now I'm just turning into Seinfeld).

slawwach

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar I-Pace, Hyundai Santa Cruz
for those that have the functionality, do a lot of people use the auto parking features (either perpendicular or parallel)?
No I don't use it. I already had it more than 10 years ago and never ever use it more than once per car. Just to try it out and see that it's still useless :)

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Sooo... it's AP1? Kidding. Sort of.

Holy sh*t I'm going to sound old again (I'm 42 going on 70 apparently) - for those that have the functionality, do a lot of people use the auto parking features (either perpendicular or parallel)? I had it in the last two cars (Model S and XC90), and found it difficult to engage, and then it takes much longer than just parking myself.

And while I'm at it - what's the fascination with having a car drive itself for you? I like the adaptive cruise control/Autopilot v1 concept of handling highway driving, but I've never understood this desire for the super expensive, ultra high performance car to drive itself. I want to drive it!

And what's the deal with... (now I'm just turning into Seinfeld).
I do like the autopilot on a long trip to take over for awhile, much more rested when I get to my destination.

Never use the auto park features.

I do like the summon feature. When working around the house use it to pull the car in and out of the garage somI do not have to jump in with grubby close on. I’ve also used it to get my car out of a parking space when someone thought 5 inches was more than enough space to leave between the cars.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

1st am I the only one that thinks this car is ugly?
2nd I wonder if they are going to have a monthly service charge?

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Yah, I never used the parking features as they were more trouble than they're worth. These autonomous features are in the same category for me. I'm supposed to let the car take over because the car is less likely to cause a traffic situation? How does it know this? The systems are supposed to reduce driver fatigue yet they constantly have to monitor and remind the driver to 'stay alert' or it will disengage. Tesla at present seems to be measuring the success of their autonomy by reducing the number of 'driver interventions'. On a couple of test drives I seemed to intervene too late to avoid an inappropriate traffic situation I never would be in had I been in full control. I never learned in driver ed when I'm supposed to 'intervene' by recognizing the need and timing to override a vehicle...

....and this all on a rural interstate. Adding the intense complexity and blind spots of urban driving doesn't seem like it will make these systems more trustworthy.
Sponsored

Last edited: