Sponsored

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
In a separate thread, someone suggested another interior color palette is needed. (Maybe it was me. I forget who, but I was part of the discussion.) Something sandy, tan, and sandstone/taupe in my opinion. Why?

The current swatch colors, especially the accent colors, are mostly dark. If you don't want a mostly dark interior, you're left with one choice - Lunar Rock. And aside from the upholstery and wood trim in Lunar Rock, the accent colors are mostly dark.

Lunar Rock is nice, don't get me wrong, but it might be too light as a reflective surface and it might be harder to keep clean. Something tan, sandy with shades of grey and/or taupe might not reflect as much light or be as hard to keep clean while, at the same time, not be too dark. Call it Prairie Fields or something similar.

In short, 4 interior palettes might better fit with 8 exterior colors. Exterior browns, like the prototype build pickups, dark and light blues, forest green, white and silver might match well with a tan/sandy/taupe interior palette and be an alternative to Lunar Rock as a light color interior. So, in terms of color matching, 4 interior palettes would better match with 8 exterior colors.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I agree - I might personally go for Lunar Rock anyway because I'm a fan of that look from Volvos but it couldn't hurt to have a fourth option. I also wonder if these palettes are fixed, or if they'll offer the ability to mix and match. The Lunar Rock white/grey would look striking with the darker brown or black wood trims :involve:

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I agree - I might personally go for Lunar Rock anyway because I'm a fan of that look from Volvos but it couldn't hurt to have a fourth option. I also wonder if these palettes are fixed, or if they'll offer the ability to mix and match. The Lunar Rock white/grey would look striking with the darker brown or black wood trims :involve:
No mix and match. I've asked Rivian about that. I'd like the Black Mountain interior with the lighter wood trim from Lunar Rock for a little contrast.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
No mix and match. I've asked Rivian about that. I'd like the Black Mountain interior with the lighter wood trim from Lunar Rock for a little contrast.
Ahh that’s a bummer - reckon it might have to do with streamlining their manufacturing.

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Yeah, I'll be getting Black Mountain interior & I would like a lighter wood with more visible grain. The wood selected for this interior is very dark and the grain blends in quite a bit. I like to see wood grain & would prefer a lighter wood color to provide a bit of contrast with the dark interior.

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
I really want to see Forrest Edge in person. I'm intrigued by it, but no chance I order it sight unseen. Too much risk of not liking the hue of green. If I don't get a chance to see it in person, Lunar Rock will be my choice. I have Lunar Silver in my current car, and while it does require more maintenance than black, I really enjoy the feeling of openness and space the light color creates.

Last edited:

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have Lunar Silver in my current car, and while it does require more maintenance than black, I really enjoy the feeling of openness and space the light color creates.
I've had both light & dark interiors, and agree the lighter interiors make the vehicle feel brighter & possibly more spacious.

However, I prefer the "coziness" of darker interiors & they make me feel more relaxed, so I greatly prefer them for that feeling alone. That's despite the downside of getting hotter than lighter interiors in the blazing TX summers.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Definitely will be going with a dark interior once we configure our R1T. After getting our '17 MS a couple of weeks ago with the black premium interior, carbon fiber accents, and black Alcantara headliner, I don't want another vehicle with a light interior. As you said, @skyote, the cozy/relaxing feeling of the dark interior is awesome....then add the all-glass roof of the MS and dangit....she is pretty. You get lost in the roominess the glass provides.

photontorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Old Reliable
Is there a mapping of what color in the swatches goes where? Just based on the swatches alone it's hard to get a sense of the interior aesthetic.

That said, darker color schemes will be priority for me, given the chromatic carnage of kids.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Is there a mapping of what color in the swatches goes where? Just based on the swatches alone it's hard to get a sense of the interior aesthetic.

That said, darker color schemes will be priority for me, given the chromatic carnage of kids.
Only photos from the various events that I'm aware of. These should help:

Lunar Rock and Black Mountain

Forest Edge

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
YES! Among other things, but literally laughed out loud at "chromatic carnage of kids"...incredible line!

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
@electruck - thanks for the pointer to the images. The ones of the R1S are pretty comprehensive. Is there a set with the Black Mountain color scheme?
@photontorque Yes, the same link with pictures from the Mill Valley event also includes images of the RJ Blue R1T with Black Mountain interior. You have to scroll all the way down and click the button to load the rest of the images.