Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I’m not an audiophile, but it sounds like a combination of the different technologies provided by Meridian essentially perform the function of noise cancellation. Specifically looking at the intelli-q and re-q.

https://www.meridian-audio.com/abou...-meridian-audio-for-electric-suvs-and-trucks/
Those are just advanced equalizer functions that adjust the volume to different speakers and adjust bass, mid, high, etc. level based on what all is going on in the cabin. The mics are probably used for that too, but as best I can tell, those functions are still not active noise cancelling. ANC requires specialized processing because it's not just adjusting levels, it's adding its own waveform to cancel ambient sounds.
Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
The items missing for really-good active noise reduction are sensors spread throughout the vehicle to measure noise before it gets to the interior. Those values are then compared to the sounds inside the vehicle, allowing determination of what is coming from outside, allowing creation of a waveform to cancel that. The Rivians may have such sensors, but I think that would have leaked by now. That said, nearly-really-good reduction, at least for the driver, can be done by using the mics installed for phone use, and good quality glass and behind the metal insulation can do a lot too, though those are of course not active.

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
For anyone wondering what the seat storage compartments look like:
1624078215011.png
This also looks like plenty of legroom in the back. The front seat is at the level of the B Pillar and there is plenty of room behind it especially given the elevated seat position

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
One thing Rivian hasn't talked about is the glass. I doubt we'll get it, but I really hope we get laminated roof and side windows.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
From the story about the interior " The all-glass panoramic roof spans both rows and provides unobstructed views of giant redwoods and any other elevated natural beauty within eyeshot. The R1’s laminated glass is also engineered for durability and treated to block more than 99.9% of UV light. The same treatment also helps reduce overheating on summer days when the sun is beating down. "

No mention about the side and rear windows, but I'd be surprised if they weren't laminated safety glass.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
From the story about the interior " The all-glass panoramic roof spans both rows and provides unobstructed views of giant redwoods and any other elevated natural beauty within eyeshot. The R1’s laminated glass is also engineered for durability and treated to block more than 99.9% of UV light. The same treatment also helps reduce overheating on summer days when the sun is beating down. "

No mention about the side and rear windows, but I'd be surprised if they weren't laminated safety glass.
Good catch on the roof. Most vehicles don’t have laminated side glass. Those that do often put it in a package that costs extra. So I wouldn’t be surprised if rivian doesn’t have it — but if they do, that’s awesome

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
There is a big safety advantage to not having all laminated glass: it’s significantly harder to get out of a car in a water submersion if none of the windows can be broken out with a window punch.

aw113sgte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1t
I've cut through a lot of laminated glass (windshields). It is not quick compared to side widows that are often non-laminated. It's not perfect but it's not a huge deal either. First responders will get though the glass quickly when needed. We have the tools.

Ty012

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi
This also looks like plenty of legroom in the back. The front seat is at the level of the B Pillar and there is plenty of room behind it especially given the elevated seat position
After seeing the numbers and the concerns here I was also a little concerned about the rear legroom. This will be my first truck and didn’t have much to compare it to expect for a couple friend’s Tacomas (rear legroom is awful) and another friends full size Ram. I decided this past weekend to go out and test drive some trucks and after driving a Chevy Colorado and a Ford Ranger (and also a Silverado-which was just entirely too big for me) both were comfortable for myself (6ft) and my 2 kids. It’s not going to be full size truck legroom room but that’s not what I am looking for, nor has Rivian ever claimed the R1T to be. I am no longer concerned about the Rivian’s legroom and quite excited about the over all mid-size+ it looks to be. It has just a little bit more than both the Colorado and the Ranger which seems perfect to me for the truck size. Obviously it’s not be perfect for everyone but having done some comparisons I am now even more thrilled to get my R1T…someday…“soon”

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Clubs

Sponsored

EV-X Oregon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Volvo XC 60, BWM X5, Honda Odessey
Occupation
Principal Real Estate Broker
Love the interior.

This thing is a rugged beauty
Me too! Very happy with all the interior details, definitely pleasantly surprised, very excited, all the creature comforts I “need” like heated and cooled seats, heated wheel

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
Love the detail on the steering wheel controls, something you see in a Mercedes, Audi or Bentley.
Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com BEBF6048-03B3-47B1-91EF-C02B75CEB506

MidnightRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti
Clubs

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!

I will patiently wait and hope to test drive the Rivian soon in Cali or Washington.

Tyleem111

First Name
Tylee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, 2022 Ford Lightning, Daiharsu Mira, Ranger
Clubs

Good catch on the roof. Most vehicles don’t have laminated side glass. Those that do often put it in a package that costs extra. So I wouldn’t be surprised if rivian doesn’t have it — but if they do, that’s awesome
i was wondering if there will be a shade that can be closed to block the sun if needed. You would think they would include one, but I didn’t see any details about it. Anyone else know?

rydb

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE
Clubs

i was wondering if there will be a shade that can be closed to block the sun if needed. You would think they would include one, but I didn’t see any details about it. Anyone else know?
nope, but I wish there was. I guess people don’t have too much of a problem with Teslas, so I’m sure I’ll deal with it fine. My last two vehicles have had panorama sunroofs, but I’ve always kept the shades closed on them.
Sponsored