Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I looked back at the update page. My overall impression is still the same as it was yesterday: if those seats are comfortable, this is going to be a really nice car for trips!
Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Only thing I'm kind of indifferent to is the open center console area in the front. I'm a neat freak in my car and try to avoid clutter and things being left out. When I ordered my Model S back in 2014 I had them install the, at the time brand new center console add on for my Model S. Even the Tesla employees where like "that console is so much nicer then the open space". Now fast forward and every Tesla vehicle has it.

I would prefer a center console that extends through the front between the driver and passenger.

What does everyone else think? Maybe if there was a six seat option would it be more reasonable?
One big difference you may be overlooking is the original Tesla console did not include any enclosed space. The armrest was literally that - a solid armrest that could not be opened apart from the cupholders. The forward console remedied this problem, and Tesla finally started including a bin under the center armrest in the recently launched redesign. Rivian has a fairly large bin under the armrests as well as under-seat storage, so all this makes having an open area between seats far more practical and beneficial.

BoltEVowner

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
West Georgia, dangerously close to Alabama
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt EUV, Chevy Volt, RAV4, Winnebago, R1T
Occupation
retired physician
Asked CS in chat today about the sun visors. Wife wants to know if there are mirrors or lights on the back side? Do the visors slide out to block out more sun when turned sideways? He didn't know. Is there a glove storage box under the dash on the passenger side like on most vehicles? He thinks so, but wasn't sure. And on those compartments on the lower side of the front doors, there is a little strap (elastic?)...purpose? He didn't know. Does that compartment cover open or is it a fixed plastic cover? He didn't know. Will Jeff Bezos get the first R1 delivery? Answer, he already has several test models...being the richest man in the world does have its perks!
Where are the front air bags located with that wood in the front? He didn't know. Where is the 120v outlet? Under the front console...he knew. When and where in the southeast is Rivian planning to build mobile service centers, Atlanta? He couldn't dare answer as everyone would be moving their delivery locations. Asked about the rear view mirror, straight mirror or camera system? He didn't know, but would mark that as as question for my Guide to answer.

The interior update was helpful, but questions still remain. After my 1000 questions, he needed coffee and a break, and maybe some chemicals for anxiety. Told him us retired folks had inquiring minds and nothing better to do than pester CS agents. We had a little fun, and he was a good sport.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Is there a glove storage box under the dash on the passenger side like on most vehicles?
I've heard from multiple people that there is NO glove box.

And on those compartments on the lower side of the front doors, there is a little strap (elastic?)...purpose? He didn't know. Does that compartment cover open or is it a fixed plastic cover?
The lower door covers are removable so you can clean them and the cubby easier. On the right side, the cover may also need to be removed to install the first aid kit that Rivian sells, as an accessory.

Asked about the rear view mirror, straight mirror or camera system? He didn't know, but would mark that as as question for my Guide to answer.
Last I heard it was an electrochromic "auto-dimming" mirror. No camera.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
The interior update was helpful, but questions still remain.
It's becoming quite comical, TBH. Trucks were supposed to be on their way to customers by now, but they still can't even tell us if there's a glove box.

All is not well in Rivian-land.

Sponsored

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
My biggest complaint about the Wifi in my Bolt is that it goes out when the power in the car is off. I haven't looked into if I can rewire something to make it stay on all the time but it'd probably kill the 12V system pretty expediently.
Thanks Brian. I was wondering about that too.

I did contact Customer Service with my questions, but they're unable to answer at this time until they finalize all the aspects of the vehicle features. According to CS, connectivity is one of their top priorities. I was told once completed, they'll be passing this information along to all their preorder holders. Again speculating, this will take place sometime next month, or surely no later than the end of August.

pwntown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3
Yes, based on info to date, these touch screen controls are completely inaccessible to my visually impaired wife meaning she can't adjust her own climate zone, seat heater, etc. And it is questionable whether I will even be able to reach the controls on the far right side of the screen while driving. Seat heater controls should hopefully work via Alexa but doubtful the vents can easily be adjusted via Alexa.
I don't want to get ahead of myself, but can't we assume that most car controls will be available via voice command? If they bake in any of the functionality currently available with Alexa, I'm sure it will be quite intuitive (even though I would rather have Apple/Android play).

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I don't want to get ahead of myself, but can't we assume that most car controls will be available via voice command? If they bake in any of the functionality currently available with Alexa, I'm sure it will be quite intuitive (even though I would rather have Apple/Android play).
I think some people were joking about this earlier, but how would you intuitively do that with vents?
"Alexa, please shoot my passenger in the face with cold air"
"Ok".
"She short, you need to aim lower"
"Ok"
"Nope, a little to the right"
"Ok"
"Nope, the other right"

I'm joking a bit here to make a point. Even if it's there, the functionality seems like a pain in the ass.

pwntown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3
I think some people were joking about this earlier, but how would you intuitively do that with vents?
"Alexa, please shoot my passenger in the face with cold air"
"Ok".
"She short, you need to aim lower"
"Ok"
"Nope, a little to the right"
"Ok"
"Nope, the other right"

I'm joking a bit here to make a point. Even if it's there, the functionality seems like a pain in the ass.
Definitely a good question, but I wonder if they would consider setting vocal command defaults (individually for driver or passenger) for left, middle, right | low middle high but also allow for the user to specify exactly what you just said above lol. Folks like my mother already do that with things like volume controls. "Alexa, turn it down. Alexa turn it down more. Alexa No, turn it back up a little bit." How is that a pain in the ass? Once it's set, it's set. Unless you have lots of random people sitting in your car every day like an Uber, I don't see that needing to be changed often. And besides, it feels weird complaining about HVAC directional controls. Other more important controls like media, volume, lights, communication, and guidance surely will be supported with voice- and if not, then I would shame Rivian for partnering with Amazon. Let's keep our fingers crossed. And you didn't ask but no I will not miss analog knobs and buttons, good riddance.

BTW I just finished reading the thread, my bad for bringing this back up / beating a dead horse.

boneil1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Would it not be better for Rivian to come out and say, "theres another delay, give us a few more months", instead of this trickle of info. I feel like we have more and more questions due these little tidbits of info.

Why would they not give us a video walk through of the interior if it was ready for production?

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I reached out to CS this morning and asked if they could provide a diagram of some sort on how they measured the legroom, was it done with front seat at maximum length away from the steering wheel, and then subsequently was the rear legroom measured with the front seat fully back, or with the drivers knees against the dash?

The girl I spoke with was equally intrigued and passed it off to the appropriate person for an email reply. Hoping for both a diagram and a photo of two 6'-2" adults in front and rear.

I'll share the response once it comes through

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

A car, and a truck or SUV, will be different due to the difference in height from the seat pan to the floor. I don't expect the occupants knees to be above their waist in the R1T or R1S. It's a more comfortable sitting position for an equivalent amount of space.
I think you identified something very important for adult seating position comfort: seat height above the floor.

We have a 2012 vehicle with legroom 42.1 in. F /39.0 in. R which has a much more comfortable seating position to me than our 2005 vehicle had with legroom 43.1 in. F / 38.7 in. R. This is because the 2012’s rear seat is higher off the floor than the 2005’s, which was closer to the floor.

In my experience, room and seating position comfort also depend on the build of the person sitting as much as the vehicle layout. If you have someone who is 6’ with 32” legs they may be fine with legroom that is inadequate for someone who is 5’11” with 34” legs.

My hope is that the Rivian will have seating position comfort at least as good as our 2012. I’ll know for sure when we get to test drive… soon.

St Bernard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R2 2026, Prius
Would it not be better for Rivian to come out and say, "theres another delay, give us a few more months", instead of this trickle of info. I feel like we have more and more questions due these little tidbits of info.

Why would they not give us a video walk through of the interior if it was ready for production?
Because they are not ready. I assume they are delayed 3-6 months on deliveries and that Oct-Nov will be the real beginning of deliveries with LE deliveries finishing up after July/Aug 2022. A few hundred Vehicles will get delivered before Oct. Why they don’t just announce that is the big question. It appears that most people, at this point, will put up with the later deliveries as there is still no other choice.

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Because they are not ready. I assume they are delayed 3-6 months on deliveries and that Oct-Nov will be the real beginning of deliveries with LE deliveries finishing up after July/Aug 2022. A few hundred Vehicles will get delivered before Oct. Why they don’t just announce that is the big question. It appears that most people, at this point, will put up with the later deliveries as there is still no other choice.
I was very upset when I learned that LE deliveries wouldn't be completed until spring 2022 (whatever that means) I perceived this as a delay, although even that is debatable. It's probably unproductive to frame every morsel of news (or lack thereof) to determine what it means for deliveries. Hopefully Rivian will deliver without delay, hopefully if there are delays they will be announced promptly. I've accepted this is out of my control (and possibly out of Rivians aside from communicating) and I'm done loosing sleep over it. The one thing I can control is preordering alternative EV's which I've done although they are less desirable if my LE R1T is not NY bound until summer 2022 it's increasingly likely I will have a Lightening parked in the garage at that point. I would then make a determination if it's economically feasible to sell the Lightning and accept the R1T.
since I'm being unproductive anyway (making my earlier statement moot) I will offer this as to why Rivian may want to be less forthcoming about delays;
You are right about meaningful deliveries not starting until November, Rivian believes this info would cause 20% dropout of LE reservations. They already have contracts with suppliers for presumed configurations that would likely change if converted to non LE (wheels, off-road package, LE interior badging, Launch green body panels etc.) Lets assume Rivian doesn't have or want a method of changing non LE preorders to LE (which CS was asked and stated as much). Now this would be a problem for Rivian that could be mitigated by not being forthcoming about presumed delivery schedule.
Either way, doesn't matter how much we speculate. I'm trying to look at the positive side which for me is by this time next year their is a very good chance I have an EV in my driveway and a second one in 2023 and ICE vehicles will be in my rearview mirror permanently.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I reached out to CS this morning and asked if they could provide a diagram of some sort on how they measured the legroom, was it done with front seat at maximum length away from the steering wheel, and then subsequently was the rear legroom measured with the front seat fully back, or with the drivers knees against the dash?

The girl I spoke with was equally intrigued and passed it off to the appropriate person for an email reply. Hoping for both a diagram and a photo of two 6'-2" adults in front and rear.

I'll share the response once it comes through
That's what I was suggesting someone with a guide to do. This seems ripe for a guide to walk out and take some pictures in one of their trucks that's in the factory.
Sponsored