Sponsored

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

"Alexa, set the passenger climate to 60% feet, 20% left, 69 degrees."

We just need to define the vocabulary required to make this voice controlled. It may not be there day 1, but since it is all electronically controlled there is nothing other than a common language to make this voice controlled.
Sponsored

SpinDoc7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback XT LTD
Whoever shot that pic didn’t do them any favors since that white drink container looks poised to tumble forward at the next gentle slowdown. If the cup holders are a problem I bet someone will make an insert for large cups in the open area below that.
They designed that open area for my wife’s purse and all women’s purses at all times while in the R1T. No need to thank me for giving the engineers their marching orders, ladies.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'll be curious to test out Rivian's system...I was an early Carplay adopter w/ an aftermarket Alpine unit in my Xterra. I find it incredibly useful, but I really only use a subset, but use those apps regularly. Waze, spotify, calls, and text...I am going to keep an open mind...a really nice offline map app w/ charger (food/shopping neraby options w/ aprox time at charger) and great Alexa integration could be cool!

The promise of CarPlay/Android Auto is:
- Keep your most important/personal/private data local to your phone
- Allow you to treat a big screen in your car as a projection of your phone, customized how you see fit
- Allow apps from your phone's App Store to be introduced and updated as you see fit

Rivian's in-car unit will *NEVER* be an app platform, and I will NEVER trust my Amazon account (and therefore any Alexa instance) to have access to the same data I keep on my phone.

It is great that the in-car unit can be OTA updated as Rivian sees fit. I love the improvements that Tesla has implemented since we bought the car, for example.

But they will by definition never reach parity with the experience I have with CarPlay today. And that majorly bums me out.

CarPlay is actually the one single feature which has us still discussing the F150 Lightning as an option :(

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
So funny, I have noticed this for years...female driver, I get the purse in my lap (whether I like it or not lol)...Such a huge hole in car design to date....finally a place for a small to large purse not on me!

They designed that open area for my wife’s purse and all women’s purses at all times while in the R1T. No need to thank me for giving the engineers their marching orders, ladies.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Front interior space is also comparable to an F150. I think tall folks will fit just fine.
R1T front headroom 41.1 inches compared to 40.8 for F150.
R1T front legroom 41.4 inches compared to 43.9 for the F150.
If only there was a really easy way Rivian could head off our tall-person tailspin?

:idea: Post two pics on twitter of someone taller than Gideon seated in both the front and back of the truck!

PS if anyone from Rivian is listening, then I would also take picks with rear facing carseats installed...

Sponsored

Amdolan

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Durango
If only there was a really easy way Rivian could head off our tall-person tailspin?

:idea: Post two pics on twitter of someone taller than Gideon seated in both the front and back of the truck!

PS if anyone from Rivian is listening, then I would also take picks with rear facing carseats installed...
I noticed that the measurements are almost the same as my Dodge Durango, both in terms of overall exterior size and the headroom/legroom measurements here. As someone who has just recently had two rear facing car seats, and now has two front facing car seats, I can tell you they fit just fine. The rear facing carrier with base required my wife to not have recline down as much as she likes, but didn't affect her legroom whatsoever.

Amdolan

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Durango
This what 36” of legroom looks like to 5’10” adult. I wouldn‘t describe that as comfortable.

1623974179468.jpeg
A car, and a truck or SUV, will be different due to the difference in height from the seat pan to the floor. I don't expect the occupants knees to be above their waist in the R1T or R1S. It's a more comfortable sitting position for an equivalent amount of space.

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

OP
OP
lambo

lambo

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Kia Niro EV
Occupation
Software
I'll be curious to test out Rivian's system...I was an early Carplay adopter w/ an aftermarket Alpine unit in my Xterra. I find it incredibly useful, but I really only use a subset, but use those apps regularly. Waze, spotify, calls, and text...I am going to keep an open mind...a really nice offline map app w/ charger (food/shopping neraby options w/ aprox time at charger) and great Alexa integration could be cool!
Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com 1623977998900

One thing I see missing from the list above is a Communication app -- e.g. phone and text. I'm sure they'll be an answer for that. Looking forward to seeing the UI in more detail via a separate story or (better yet) in person.

ja_kub_sz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 LR Discovery, 2019 LR Range Rover Velar
Really excited to see some new information and pictures of the R1T!

Everything looks good plus minus on a few things, but as with anything the whole R1T is more then then the sum of its parts. I'm not sweating any of the details until I get behind the wheel of one.

Only thing I'm kind of indifferent to is the open center console area in the front. I'm a neat freak in my car and try to avoid clutter and things being left out. When I ordered my Model S back in 2014 I had them install the, at the time brand new center console add on for my Model S. Even the Tesla employees where like "that console is so much nicer then the open space". Now fast forward and every Tesla vehicle has it.

I would prefer a center console that extends through the front between the driver and passenger.

What does everyone else think? Maybe if there was a six seat option would it be more reasonable?

Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com R1T open console.JPG

Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com Tesla-Model-S-90D-centre-console

Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com model s console

Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
I have the open space in my i3 in the center, and at first thought I wouldn't like it, but it really gives a feeling of spaciousness, and now I really want all my cars to be like that.

MisterTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 745e
Unfortunately, this is one of the very few things that would be a total deal-breaker for me for 2 reasons:
  • I'm 6'5" and don't fit well in the back of my current vehicle (jeep grand cherokee).
  • I'm one of the many on this forum that will have 3 kids to squeeze into the back. A rear-facing infant seat in a tight back seat means whoever is in the passenger seat has virtually no legroom.
Before I go berserk, I realize every car manufacturer measures this differently. So apples to apples comparisons aren't possible.

I ABSOLUTELY will need a test drive before committing. As I am a Max pack res holder, not sure when that may happen...
I'm too am 6' 5" with 2 kids and a third on the way. I am starting to think I need a 3 row SUV instead but will wait to see it in person.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

Well nothing new for me. I'm starting to think we're our own worst enemies when it comes to finding stuff out about Rivian's trucks way too early.

X2 I saw a change at 11:05 AM and saw someone posted at 11:09 (this thread) so Im like all good lol. Truth be told I am at the beach all week and this was a nice read but nothing too new granted I am a R1S holder and I do see at the bottom coming soon. I do hope its next week and they will just cross cover items. I would figure it would be easier to talk about the interior of both trucks and SUVs at the same time but I guess they are keeping each post special per week :p.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Lightning Standard
This is pretty much the same legroom and legroom you get in a VW Atlas. I am 6'7 and I do not even need to push my seat all the way back and/or down. Second row is 2" less headroom and similar legroom and my tall kids and even adults comfortably fit behind me. This should be plenty of room

"How much headroom does a VW Atlas have?
The driver and front-seat passenger of the 2019 VW Atlas receive 41.3” of headroom and 41.5” of legroom while passengers in the 2 nd -row get 40.4” of headroom and 37.6 of legroom."
I'm 6'4, and and in my cx5 with 39.6 inches of rear legroom, my 5'6 wife cannot sit behind me, unless I sacrifice comfort to not be on her knees.

I'll still hold out hope rivian measurements arent telling the whole story.. but the back seat pictures are currently nonexistent with anyone actually sitting in them and seeing their position.

smiesguy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S / Escalade
Occupation
Planner
Really excited to see some new information and pictures of the R1T!

Everything looks good plus minus on a few things, but as with anything the whole R1T is more then then the sum of its parts. I'm not sweating any of the details until I get behind the wheel of one.

Only thing I'm kind of indifferent to is the open center console area in the front. I'm a neat freak in my car and try to avoid clutter and things being left out. When I ordered my Model S back in 2014 I had them install the, at the time brand new center console add on for my Model S. Even the Tesla employees where like "that console is so much nicer then the open space". Now fast forward and every Tesla vehicle has it.

I would prefer a center console that extends through the front between the driver and passenger.

What does everyone else think? Maybe if there was a six seat option would it be more reasonable?

R1T open console.JPG

Tesla-Model-S-90D-centre-console.jpg

model s console.jpg
Great comparison to the Model S. Whenever I've had it as a loaner I miss that center console. Do like the open space on the Rivian center for you phone which always bugged me in the S.
Sponsored