IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

Depends on the carrier. I believe AT&T may support it, but I don't think Verizon does. I haven't tested in a few years, but it didn't work last time I tried.
All carriers and handsets now support VoLTE. Verizon implemented full VoLTE support as part of their HD Voice(marketing speak) upgrade as of Dec 2019. The reason it didn't work before was because the phone calls and the data were separate. With VoLTE the voice is just data...just like the data from the hot spot for all intents and purposes(admitted over simplification but I think it gets the point across). There is no "interruption" for a phone call. Might be time for a phone upgrade if you have issues. It's not the network.
Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Directly from the site

" Due to anticipated demand, we will prioritize preorder holders for our drive experiences. Look for more details in advance, including exact launch dates, our Covid-19 protocols and how we’ll handle reservations."

So anyone with a preorder new or old will be able to test drive.
You are absolutely correct. ALL preorder holders will be able to attend (and even non-preorder holders i.e. the general public) but there will be a priority hierarchy as follows:

Pri 1: LE preorder holders
Pri 2: Non-LE preorder holders
Pri 3: Non-preorder holders.

This was taken directly from a conversation with my Guide.

Jay

First Name
Vicky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Ascent
You are absolutely correct. ALL preorder holders will be able to attend (and even non-preorder holders i.e. the general public) but there will be a priority hierarchy as follows:

does location play a role along with the above category?

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

I can just imagine the gongshow of an event going down where people start getting anxious trying to be first in the vehicle, followed by the "Why him before me, I was a Day 1 res holder?!" "oh just because I went top end non LE, I have to wait?"

Hopefully it's chill and people relax.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
does location play a role along with the above category?
Insomuch as you have to be able to get to the designated location, yes.

Sponsored

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
There are currently ADA requirements around transportation but guidance/interpretation in the personal vehicle space is lacking as the issues are relatively new starting with the recent trend of moving away from dedicated physical controls
Out of curiosity, what part of the ADA would apply to a private vehicle made by Rivian?

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

I can just imagine the gongshow of an event going down where people start getting anxious trying to be first in the vehicle, followed by the "Why him before me, I was a Day 1 res holder?!" "oh just because I went top end non LE, I have to wait?"

Hopefully it's chill and people relax.
Total speculation alert:

Very little info has been released, but I presume there is going to be some sort of sign-up for test drives. With limited demo trucks and personnel, it makes the most sense to do LE buyers first.

Also, I'm differentiating demo events from true test drives. Depending on how big the back seat looks, I may actually take the car seats out of my Grand Cherokee and put them in the R1T to be able to more accurately judge space (I've done this before on a dealer's lot). No way I could do this at a demo event with a line of 100 people behind me without many impatient heads exploding :CWL:

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
Actually, I can and do fault them because they have made a choice that is unnecessarily exclusionary. I would wager this was done mostly out of ignorance of accessibility concerns and not intentional. But, as it is an accessibility issue, this will ultimately end up settled in court. Auto manufacturers seem to feel they are exempt from making vehicles accessible because "blind people can't drive" ... or something. Well, guess what, car manufacturers are also the ones pushing the envelope to make cars self-driving meaning vehicles will be required to be fully accessible. Might as well start now.

Sorry you don't like buttons. I actually rather prefer them for the most used things. But making all of the vehicles feature accessible doesn't require physical buttons. My wife makes great use of the touch screen interface of her iPhone.
Maybe she can control HVAC and media from the app even while you're driving, like Teslas.

It's 2021. It's a new company, going for mass production simplicity.

The F150 Lightning might have more tactile controls.

R1S Maineiac

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Volvo CX90 Recharge PHEV
Occupation
Medically retired 8/27/21
I'm not sure why you're being glib here. I'm not suggesting Rivian is liable or even in the wrong. You might want to reread my post, which specifically ends with me saying we don't know enough to know if they have an issue.

But it's ignorant and wrong-headed to dismiss accessibility as a design factor or suggest that it can't be a liability issue. I can almost guarantee that any major software or device company you can think of has faced and probably settled dizzying lawsuits on this issue.

And more importantly, products shouldn't be accessible only to people exactly like you. We live in a society.
It's a 2 1/2 ton motorized vehicle that will only come with Level 2 driver assistance features.

If they advertised level 4 or 5, there would be a valid point here. Until then ..... There's not. The UI is centered around the driver, who, fairly or unfairly at this point, should still not be visually impaired.

Put a pin in this one and complain when the actual driving of the vehicle is designed to be done by the differently abled.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Lightning Standard
The story has been updated.

1623959610031.png
Ok, there likely goes the rivian off the list. Super disappointing, an adventure vehicle only for short people.

The rivian is officially comparable in interior space to my tiny egolf.

Sponsored

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
My wife makes great use of the touch screen interface of her iPhone.
They could have these features on the touchscreen now or they could be added in the future.

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
Ok, there likely goes the rivian off the list. Super disappointing, an adventure vehicle only for short people.

The rivian is officially comparable in interior space to my tiny egolf.
This is pretty much the same legroom and legroom you get in a VW Atlas. I am 6'7 and I do not even need to push my seat all the way back and/or down. Second row is 2" less headroom and similar legroom and my tall kids and even adults comfortably fit behind me. This should be plenty of room

"How much headroom does a VW Atlas have?
The driver and front-seat passenger of the 2019 VW Atlas receive 41.3” of headroom and 41.5” of legroom while passengers in the 2 nd -row get 40.4” of headroom and 37.6 of legroom."

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Maybe she can control HVAC and media from the app even while you're driving, like Teslas.

It's 2021. It's a new company, going for mass production simplicity.

The F150 Lightning might have more tactile controls.
Control via the app (not Alexa running on the phone) would be a welcome option but was not something mentioned by RJ when we spoke. Granted that was almost 18 months ago now.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
For anyone wanting to chat more regarding accessibility, please reach out to me directly or start a new thread. Let's try to get this thread back on track.