LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Can we please move this conversation to its own thread?
another forum thread spinning out of control in flames....
Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com Flamedout
Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Is this stalk used for tank turn as well? I cannot quite make out the leftmost symbol.
C50CD187-8857-4242-8B64-C532CC238AF3.jpeg
It's tap down twice to activate cruise control. The Model 3 and Y work this way too. The speed and distance adjustments will probably be made through the controls on the front of the steering wheel.

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
Is this stalk used for tank turn as well? I cannot quite make out the leftmost symbol.
I think that's a "Press down twice to engage Driver+/Cruise Control" icon.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Can we please move this conversation to its own thread?
I'm sorry, is this tangent regarding accessibility inconveniencing you? Imagine the inconveniences my wife and every other person with a disability deal with every single day of their life.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I'm sorry, is this tangent regarding accessibility inconveniencing you? Imagine the inconveniences my wife and every other person with a disability deal with every single day of their life.
I think it's important to remind my able-bodied friends that accessibility in a vehicle is important even for us. Our eyes our supposed to be on the road at all (well, mostly all) times. Not to devalue the importance of accommodating all types of folks, but making the vehicle's features accessible brings value to everyone, so we should support it as much as possible.

I do think software is the way to go. If Alexa is smart enough to know who is talking to it and from what seat, I imagine it could respond to requests like "Alexa I'm feeling cold" with adjustments specifically for that passenger/seat.

Sponsored

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Alexa makes physical controls less necessary but doesn't eliminate the need for any. Good luck trying to aim the Rivian's air vents with Alexa commands (which was my original point in this thread, I've discussed the touchscreen stuff in other past threads). Just because Alexa can do certain things, doesn't mean it's optimal - regardless of whether you're sighted or not.
It's funny you mention the vents, because that was the main hole in my comment and I knew it! haha

OP
OP
lambo

lambo

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Kia Niro EV
Occupation
Software
1623944538814.png

Is it unusual that the headroom and legroom are exactly the same?
If that's accurate, I'll probably have to take this vehicle off my list of options. That's less than any other vehicle I've owned, and is literally tiny. Less than my XC60, which is already a tight squeeze for 4 adults.

Less than a CX5. Same size as a Q3, which is essentially a small hatchback. Not acceptable for a mid-size truck.
The story has been updated.

Rivian R1T R1S INTERIOR feature / details just posted at Rivian.com 1623959610031

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
USB-C supports 100W in it's standard form. Most auto manufacturers are supplying them with less power because most cell phones only need 5-15W to charge at a decent rate... But USB-C definitely supports more. I have an extremely powerful laptop and it charges exclusively over USB-C.

I don't think Rivian has released it's power limits for their USB-C ports. It'd be nice if they supported the full 100W so we can charge laptops.
Exactly. The problem is most manufacturers limit the output of the USB-C chargers making them less and less useful over time as the demand for portable devices increase. What was just fine 3 years ago is now a dog. I love that I can get a solid 30-40% of charge in a 20 min drive with my current 45W charger. It allows me to stay mobile and never tethered to a charger when I don't want to be. If it was limited to 15W it would be closer to 10% which isn't very useful. I would much prefer the bulk of a 120V outlet so I can plug in standard adapters and charge at the maximum possible rate. I'm hoping I'm wrong and Rivian is supplying at least 50 or 75 watts through their ports. If so that would be awesome.

Last edited:

damonator5000

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Noticed they referred to the front seats as "cooling" when they've stated previously (including in the configurator) they are only "ventilated". I suspect this was just a poor choice of words and/or editing. I don't care either way but people who do may find this misleading.
I reached out to CS about this exact question. He didn’t know but was going to find out. I basically asked if a refrigerant would be used (“cooled”) or just a fan to circulate air (“ventilated”).

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

To me that looks like a lane-keeping icon (vehicle between lines) and the chevron indicates you pull towards the driver to activate/deactivate. No guarantees, but that’s my best guess.

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
No need to even use the WiFi "hot spot" or extender when you can simply tether whatever wifi connected device you like to. the phone you already pay for. Cars generally don't have a great wireless implementation as far as speed goes either.

It's more of a convenience. It's like drinking the little over price bottle of Whiskey out of the mini-bar when you have a big bottle from the store sitting on the desk.
Most of the time having the hotspot active or using data prevents the phone from making/receiving voice calls.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Really!? I have a 2016 4Runner which has rear legroom of 32.9" and front legroom of 41.7" - both of which are smaller than the R1T (same goes for headroom) and it is not a small car!
You must lean your seat back like a cholo. I love the 4Runner but could never buy one because even at only 6'1" my head touches the roof so severely that I have to crank my neck and drive with my cheek touching my shoulder.

Same problem with the Tacoma if you get a moonroof.

Toyota has the absolute worst seats and seating position.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

If that's accurate, I'll probably have to take this vehicle off my list of options. That's less than any other vehicle I've owned, and is literally tiny. Less than my XC60, which is already a tight squeeze for 4 adults.

Less than a CX5. Same size as a Q3, which is essentially a small hatchback. Not acceptable for a mid-size truck.

Unfortunately, this is one of the very few things that would be a total deal-breaker for me for 2 reasons:
  • I'm 6'5" and don't fit well in the back of my current vehicle (jeep grand cherokee).
  • I'm one of the many on this forum that will have 3 kids to squeeze into the back. A rear-facing infant seat in a tight back seat means whoever is in the passenger seat has virtually no legroom.
Before I go berserk, I realize every car manufacturer measures this differently. So apples to apples comparisons aren't possible.

I ABSOLUTELY will need a test drive before committing. As I am a Max pack res holder, not sure when that may happen...

Smithery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MX 100D, XC70, Cooper S JCW, R1T Large
I have Apple CarPlay in my car now and while it’s nice, I think because they’ll have over the air updates it will be unnecessary. I’m willing to give them a chance on what they can come up with
The promise of CarPlay/Android Auto is:
- Keep your most important/personal/private data local to your phone
- Allow you to treat a big screen in your car as a projection of your phone, customized how you see fit
- Allow apps from your phone's App Store to be introduced and updated as you see fit

Rivian's in-car unit will *NEVER* be an app platform, and I will NEVER trust my Amazon account (and therefore any Alexa instance) to have access to the same data I keep on my phone.

It is great that the in-car unit can be OTA updated as Rivian sees fit. I love the improvements that Tesla has implemented since we bought the car, for example.

But they will by definition never reach parity with the experience I have with CarPlay today. And that majorly bums me out.

CarPlay is actually the one single feature which has us still discussing the F150 Lightning as an option :(

psyca

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Infiniti G37 (IPL), Subaru Crosstrek
Unfortunately, this is one of the very few things that would be a total deal-breaker for me for 2 reasons:
  • I'm 6'5" and don't fit well in the back of my current vehicle (jeep grand cherokee).
  • I'm one of the many on this forum that will have 3 kids to squeeze into the back. A rear-facing infant seat in a tight back seat means whoever is in the passenger seat has virtually no legroom.
Before I go berserk, I realize every car manufacturer measures this differently. So apples to apples comparisons aren't possible.

I ABSOLUTELY will need a test drive before committing. As I am a Max pack res holder, not sure when that may happen...
I'm hoping that the inside is bigger then these numbers are making it seem - especially considering one of their original goals was to allow you to take 4-5 adults on your adventures with you. Hopefully big enough that most adults are comfortable for a few hours at a time IMO
Sponsored