First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6 FE, 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Self-Employed: Real Estate Management
Since they've said no CarPlay or AndroidAuto... then no.
I have Apple CarPlay in my car now and while it’s nice, I think because they’ll have over the air updates it will be unnecessary. I’m willing to give them a chance on what they can come up with
Sponsored

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
A few of my thoughts in comparing this to my Defender:

My defender has charge ports in the rear of the headrest. They're pretty great - they got use recently when I had family over for a week and turned out to be super helpful when we had 4 people trying to charge phones while out on the town.

Legroom seems very good. 2 more inches than the back of my Defender which (while hard to get into with only 2 doors) has a ton of legroom in the back. I'm over 6 feet tall and have no issues sitting back there.

Materials seem great - super high quality. I am glad they showed the green interior since that's what I selected :)

Camp speaker is great - I'll likely use it at home as much as out camping. I don't have an outdoor speaker now and given that it can connect to the phone that means I can use it anywhere outdoors at home and I won't have to spend those hundreds on a standalone outdoor speaker.

The wireless charging pad being so big is HUGE. I've got one in the Defender and it *barely* fits my S21 Ultra when in a case. It definitely won't fit two phones - one of my bigger complaints.

Storage areas seem pretty super, though I think I'd have preferred the center console to open up and back, esp if it would do a 180 degree and turn into a tabletop like in the Defender.

I'm fine with the slot-out cup holders. I don't keep drinks with me that often, and I'm willing to trust that they're not going to put some flimsy piece of crap in there, given the interiors they're benchmarking against.

Overall this didn't tell me much I didn't already know, but at least confirms a lot for me. I continue to be very excited for the R1T.

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Lightning Standard
Same rear legroom as a 4 door Jeep.

As the owner of a 4 door jeep, ouch.

Really, really hoping the R1S gets at least another 2” without the gear tunnel.
UPDate: rivian now says rear legroom is 36 not 38... I am Sad..

Yah, I'm pretty disappointed they didn't manage to get more interior space as someone who is tall and was looking at more space than I currently have for longer road trips with the family.

It is more legroom than previously suggested by someone who asked CS. But, 38" rear legroom isn't great but isn't bad either. F150 lightning will have 43"

However, shoulder room and hip room are pretty disappointing considering it's roughly the same width as a F150. The F150 interior has a good 8" more rear hiproom -- I don't even understand how that works. Then, the Rivian exterior has 8" more inches in width than my CX5 yet manages the same interior space (same with the Ford Maverick)?

Where'd the space go?

Hoping the numbers are hard to guage and it feels better in person. We'll see....

Last edited:

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
I personally think companies making any note of 4G hotspots is just stupid. I personally don't know anyone that has ever used that, nor would pay for it.
I recently got T-Mobile Internet, to update my Rivian....eventually. Prior to this, I used my phone's hotspot (desktop) for internet, but it was limited. If this feature could replace my current setup, unlimited, and is either free, or much less expensive than what I have, I would consider it.

My Internet connecting devices will always be about 25 ft from the Rivian, if the wi-fi extends that far. And, I don't need wi-fi at my home when I'm gone. I'll contact Customer Service to see if they can answer my questions.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
  • The bluetooth speaker is just a fun little upgrade. I like it. (sidebar: I can't believe someone complained about this because when they're in nature they want to hear nature... lmao like... that's your choice man.)
It looks like most people like this feature and, yes, it's great to have a "choice man". BUT, when I'm in a campground and someone decides everyone in the campground wants to listen to THEIR music, IMAO, that is just damn rude DUDE!! They eliminate my choice to listen to nature at that point. Yes, it is a given that when you are around others there will be different choices. But, wouldn't it be more considerate to use earbuds? There is a right place and time for outdoor speakers; tailgatting, large outdoor parties, Rivian gatherings. But, not in locations where most people are there for the quiet. I'm happiest when I can find a nice quiet isolated spot to camp. I'm a grouchy old lady, man, and love my solitude. That's why we NEED the Rivian, so we can way out away from the noise of others. Plus, I didn't get the "choice" of getting this speaker or not. But, I'm okay with it all and will happily sell that speaker to someone that can use it. I just have no use for it.

Sponsored

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
If someone makes a tablet holder which attaches to that back seat clip, the nearby USB port means people in the back can put their tablet in the holder, plug in a short cable to keep it charged, and not worry about getting tangled up in a long cable which plugs in near the floor.
I was thinking about this for a long trip with my son. Would be an amazing add on.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
You don't have to turn the volume down to 0 to not interrupt others at a campground. If you're so close they can hear a speaker on low volume sitting right in front of you at your picnic table, then they're close enough to hear you talking above a whisper as well.

If you're WAY out and not in a campground - who is going to complain about your music?

I'd suggest trying it out before selling it, but we're each entitled to our own opinions and choices :)

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
How many of you think you'll use that external speaker thingy? When I'm outdoors, I want to hear nature...not a bunch of human noise. Nothing irritates me more than someone playing their music when I'm in a campground and trying the hear the birds. I doubt we'll ever use that thing. Maybe I can sell it...humm...I wonder if you have two if both will play? Someone might like to have two...any buyers for ours?;) Would have been nice if it was an option.
Nice for less great outdoorsey RV campsites that are chill with EVs/RT-tents when road tripping. I think it contributes to the interior sound when plugged in so you might not want to sell it.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
You don't have to turn the volume down to 0 to not interrupt others at a campground. If you're so close they can hear a speaker on low volume sitting right in front of you at your picnic table, then they're close enough to hear you talking above a whisper as well.

If you're WAY out and not in a campground - who is going to complain about your music?

I'd suggest trying it out before selling it, but we're each entitled to our own opinions and choices :)
Also, if you sell the vehicle, the inevitable "where's the bluetooth speaker?" question might come up. LOL

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I recently got T-Mobile Internet, to update my Rivian....eventually. Prior to this, I used my phone's hotspot (desktop) for internet, but it was limited. If this feature could replace my current setup, unlimited, and is either free, or much less expensive than what I have, I would consider it.

My Internet connecting devices will always be about 25 ft from the Rivian, if the wi-fi extends that far. And, I don't need wi-fi at my home when I'm gone. I'll contact Customer Service to see if they can answer my questions.
A car hotspot is generally different than built in internet access for the car to receive updates (like maps). The latter is frequently free or included for free for a couple of years. The hot spot is really only for if you want to connect your laptop to the car while driving around. You *might* be able to use in to replace your T-Mobile internet, but I kind out doubt it tbh. I would bet that you can't keep it on 24/7.

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I really like the fact the speaker is also a camp lantern and battery plus charges in the dock. pretty nice interior glad to see some of the details.

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
Also, if you sell the vehicle, the inevitable "where's the bluetooth speaker?" question might come up. LOL
I thought of that, too. I'll just tell them I had to sell it to buy ear plugs because all the Rivian owners where playing their music in the campgrounds. ?

Oh, and one more note...GET OFF MY LAWN!!

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm a little lost on what the above means, so my questions may not even pertain to the above quote. It may be I need to ask Customer Support.

Does this work like a phone hotspot, or do you need to be "on the road"?

Do you pay for it monthly, same as you do an IP, or is it free?

Unlimited?

How far does the Wi-Fi travel?

Could my desktop computer receive internet in my camper, if within a certain distance from the Rivian?

Does this feature require the Rivian to be "on"?

I just recently got T-Mobile Internet, so I could download updates from Rivian when the time comes. This is about all I know regarding the internet. I mainly want to know if this feature is all I need to download updates and also receive access to the internet........Thanks
I've had hotspot capabilities in my last three vehicles. It's primarily made for use IN the vehicle (like with a laptop or tablet). I'm not sure how strong of a signal Rivian is going to use, but in my other vehicles you can't go far from the vehicle without losing signal. You could sit on the tailgate and use it, but it's not going to work in your house.

Yes, you have to pay. Whether it's unlimited or not depends on what plan you buy.

Yes, the vehicle has to be "on".

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE