Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

No they won’t. At 220kwh, the fastest Rivian says the vehicle can charge, you get 55kwh in 15 minutes. In order to get 200 miles of range you’d be averaging 4mi/kWh, something no Rivian does unless driving downhill the entire time. A realistic number is about 140 miles in 15 minutes.
My math is sloppy, facts rule! It seemed like less time, I must have been just happy to be getting the charge for free. I was on a "Level 3" ACDC charger that was a Rivian "Adventure" charger.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Greg Chick

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

Heard the exact thing…
Who makes it?
Rivian
No, but who makes it?
Rivian
Where is it made?
Normal Illinois, by Chicago
Is it American?
😵💫
How about the "Georgia" in Russia or "Las Vegas" New Mexico, there could be an Illinois in China! OMG...

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I live in a small town (yes, in Texas). It's the kind of place where too many people don't understand that there is a strong body of evidence that the "size of your jockstrap" is INVERSELY proportional to the amount of noise that your (usually unneccessarily) diesel pickup truck makes.

I was parked in front of my (not small, not cheap) house with the frunk hood raised when one of these guys drove by. For a change, he actually STOPPED at the stop sign in front of my house. His laughter was accompanied by "Ha Ha...broke down already??" as he rolled a little coal on the way out.

A few days later, a buddy of his and I were talking (he already knew the story). He was curious about the regenerative braking system. (There may be hope for some 17 year olds in our world). I took him on a "test ride" to the local convenience store and demonstrated.

After pulling onto the highway, I straightened out at about 10 mph and poked it to about 3/4 throttle... when I got to 62 mph, I dumped the accelerator and let the regen slow the truck to 30 mph. All in all, we had gone less than the "short edge" of a city block. For the next mile to the convenience store, all he could say was "oh my God" over and over.

On the way home, he said "You KNOW this is the fastest thing in town, right?" My response was, "Yep, and I don't have to prove it. Just let your friends know".

I love my truck!
At least your small town (Love Comfort, btw) has a decent fast charger! Probably only small town in the Hill Country that does. (Leakey Level 2 Chargepoint doesn't count :confused:)

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
At least your small town (Love Comfort, btw) has a decent fast charger! Probably only small town in the Hill Country that does. (Leakey Level 2 Chargepoint doesn't count :confused:)
Yeah...Bandera Electric was all braggy about "getting a grant" to install that 50kw charger (2 blocks from my house). I used it twice before I got my home charger hooked up (48 amps 240v).

The economics of their (time based fast charger) billing are this...the same electricity from the same provider that I get at my house two blocks away for 9.414 cents/kWh (including tax and fees) cost me over four times that at their (not all that) fast charger. Being as it's a hair over a mile from I-10 and only has 50 kw, it doesn't even meet the "specs" for the Texas charging network goals, but it does "beat nothing" for the weary traveler.

OP
OP
Greg Chick

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

We can get humble and even pay top dollar when we are at 5% charge. I once sat over 1.5 Hrs. for a 25 mile capacity charge.

Sponsored

milliemc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

I suggest we collect and enjoy things people say.
One guy asked me "Who makes your truck" I said Rivian, he replied "no, who makes it" I said Rivian, a company in the US, I think in Illinois, Texas and Calif. It is fully electric and really incredible. He replied, "They would never make an electric truck in Texas". I replied well, they may make it in Illionis and just have a service Ctr. in Texas. He asked what kinda power does it have, can it do 80 MPH? I said yea and, it's faster, it can do 0 - 60 in 3 Sec. He just walked away shaking his head.

Another guy asked is it 4x4? I said no, it's 4 motor. He replied, "no, what kinda transmission does it have?", I said no transmission, just 4 motors. I could hear his thoughts, "Where are the extra motors?".
You are opening closed minds--hear the creaking? It's a good thing!

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Love all these responses - I have experienced just about all of them.
I was loading groceries into the frunk one day and a lady walked by and looked at me and said, “Oh my gosh, what will they think of next?”
Another time I had a girl come up to me and asked if I could give her a jump start.
I was talking to my cousin‘s son and son’s wife and when they found out I had a Rivian they both said in unison, “You have a Rivian?? Wow!! Then my cousin walked up and said, “What’s a Rivian?” People are either impressed or clueless.

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
Like a lot of the other posters, most of the comments I get are "what is that" and "how do you like it" (in a small city in Missouri where I think I might be the only Rivian so far). When I mention it gets 70 mpg equivalent I usually get some disbelieving or puzzled looks. The funniest encounter was when I was getting the vehicle registered at the license bureau and the very bored looking counter clerks got all excited and started chattering to each other about registering a Rivian as if I wasn't even standing there! I guess anything for a change in the routine. I do get some questions about how hard is it to get it charged. When I point out it takes me about 5 seconds at home to plug it in, much faster and easier than going to the gas station, that usually gets a positive response.

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Them: Nice truck! Who makes it?
Me: Rivian
Them: No. Which car company makes it?
Me: Rivian
Them: So is it made by Ford or Toyota?
Me: SMDH

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Greg Chick

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

The #1 question I get is, who makes it, I say Rivian, they repeat, yea but who makes it, I repeat, they then say, where, I say Illinois, they look puzzled.

PowerBugs

First Name
Dru
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota
I get asked a couple of times, “How much did you pay for it?”
Not sure how to respond but what’s the best response here?

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
it's such a weird thing for people to ask... as a pre-march personni say "i paid much less than it costs now" and change the subject...

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
Assuming that you would just as soon not answer...here are two great responses you can make (depending on the level of snark you wish to convey or whether it's a "friend" asking)

1) "It's like a buying a yacht...If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it" I've only ever said this when I'd already been subject to some derisive comment carrying the assumption that I am a tree-hugging liberal who only wants to save the planet or some other such crap that "he started"...in other words...someone who has made up his mind and is not likely to change his outlook anytime soon.

2) "How big is your pecker?"...this usually gets a momentary blank look followed by "the light dawning" as they guy realizes that was a rude question in the first place.

You could also substitute "How much is your annual salary?" if you wanted to shoot for something a little less raw.
Sponsored