Interesting questions or statements in parking lots about R1T or S

Aaron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride, Mazda CX-5, Rivian R1T
I get a lot of “do you like it?” after the initial “who makes it?” question. I’ve had some good conversations when people see me towing a full size travel trailer with it since I do that a couple times a week.
What size and weight of a trailer are you towing? I’ve been looking at getting one this summer, but with the size I’m thinking, towing range might be lower than I expect.
Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I was being self deprecating, I know I’m a Rivian fanboy. I beg to disagree, a quad motor is new and compelling, An EV pick up a new configuration, that’s compelling.

In an effort to not hijack the thread, an odd question I get asked at the end of my unsolicited sales pitch is “how much?” I respond with less than a TRex, Raptor, Lightning or a F150 in Limited trim
The “how much” is a loaded question for us early buyers though. The price difference between what I paid as a preorder holder versus someone ordering now is almost $30k. When I tell them it was $67k I get a lot of “oh that’s not too bad, it’s pretty nice” but when you tell them the same truck would be $95k now it’s a completely different reaction.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
What size and weight of a trailer are you towing? I’ve been looking at getting one this summer, but with the size I’m thinking, towing range might be lower than I expect.
It’s 25’ overall length, 8.5’ wide and 7000lbs. A 100 mile range or 1mi/kWh is generally a safe bet in most conditions.

Zorg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X
SF bay area: all I get is "how do you like it?". I even had someone waive at me so that she could ask is when we rolled down the window.

Tango45

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, R1S
Clubs

I've taken the position that, as an early adopter, I represent Rivian to some degree. Here in northern Virginia there are maybe a dozen Rivians and I've got one of two R1S's I've seen around. I can be a jack wagon and then that becomes the image of Rivian to those who see my behavior. As a result, if someone asks, I'll stay as long as they want, answering questions they might have and telling them my experience with it (and with my Ioniq 5). Also, it's an affluent area where people know what Rivian is - I've only had one "what is that?". There's also the folks who have one on preorder; I appreciated getting a chance to look at one before I got mine (thanks again, @kanundrum), so I try to pay it forward and offer to let people who say they have a preorder jump in and check it out. Who knows what parking lot interaction will result in a reservation for Rivian? In the end, it's all self-serving as the price I've paid for my RIVN stock is orders of magnitude above where it sits now...

That being said, my Gear Guard videos are mostly people checking out the R1S... I hope it stays that way and I avoid the more ominous reasons to have the system...
Rivian R1T R1S Interesting questions or statements in parking lots about R1T or S Screen Shot 2023-03-14 at 1.05.56 AM

Sponsored

quartz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Clarity PHEV
Clubs

My favorites:
"...but where's the engine?"
"...can it fart unicorns, too?"

Enjoy converting the EV nonbelievers!

popoga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG R1T, '18 Impreza, '10 Triumph Bonneville
Occupation
Potato Farmer
Clubs

Mostly gotten "how do you like your rivian?" and I of course respond that I love it. As far out as places on the peninsula where you'd expect more of a gruff attitude, if not outright hate. Very pleasant interactions. Some stares and thumbs up, which is honestly kind of embarrassing.

Aaron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Telluride, Mazda CX-5, Rivian R1T
It’s 25’ overall length, 8.5’ wide and 7000lbs. A 100 mile range or 1mi/kWh is generally a safe bet in most conditions.
Thanks for the info on that. Would you consider going any larger or is it too much of a sail at that point?

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

"Holy shit that thing is FAST" was the last thing anyone's said to me about my truck. Darn red lights.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Thanks for the info on that. Would you consider going any larger or is it too much of a sail at that point?
I’m fine with what I have. You could go larger for the same weight if you buy a cheaply built ultralight style trailer and probably not see much difference in efficiency. As with most smaller trucks you’ll run out of payload before reaching the maximum tow capacity anyway.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Am I the only one getting a lot of people pronouncing it as "Riviaan" when they ask me about it?
I've had coworkers ask "so when are you getting the RT1 Riviara?"

I cringe and die a little inside.
Sponsored