Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

I suggest we collect and enjoy things people say.
One guy asked me "Who makes your truck" I said Rivian, he replied "no, who makes it" I said Rivian, a company in the US, I think in Illinois, Texas and Calif. It is fully electric and really incredible. He replied, "They would never make an electric truck in Texas". I replied well, they may make it in Illionis and just have a service Ctr. in Texas. He asked what kinda power does it have, can it do 80 MPH? I said yea and, it's faster, it can do 0 - 60 in 3 Sec. He just walked away shaking his head.

Another guy asked is it 4x4? I said no, it's 4 motor. He replied, "no, what kinda transmission does it have?", I said no transmission, just 4 motors. I could hear his thoughts, "Where are the extra motors?".
Sponsored

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
All I ever hear is "How do you like your Rivian?"

Perry24r

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Palisade
Occupation
HR
All I ever hear is "How do you like your Rivian?"
Ditto. So glad to live in the PNW.

Although the staring can be slightly uncomfortable sometimes. Bellevue said I am only the 4th or 5th Red Canyon they've had and that was only 2 weeks ago. And now it's matte so it's been upped a bit.

DTown3011

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Have yet to be asked but lots of pointing, staring, waving, flashes from other Rivian drivers, and funny Gear Guard videos of people checking out my truck.

Sponsored

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
Are you in an urban area? I'm very rural and in "Oil Country". I was asked that once, we both agreed the best truck ever.
Bend, OR has a population of ~100K.

Very outdoorsy - MTB, hiking, fishing, kayaking, rock climbing, skiing (alpine & nordic), etc. Right at the edge of the Deschutes Nat'l Forest. Fairly upscale. Fastest growing city in Northern California, as the joke goes!

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvette Z06, Cherokee, Nissan Titan, BMW 1200GSA
I’m a bit verbose by nature, so, when I get asked “is that a Ford” I happily launch i to “no it’s a Rivian! Made in Illnios” I have a habit of talking about my R1T like it’s a child piano prodigy. Seriously, was at the Milwaukee auto show. Rivian could’ve asked me to man a booth at the show for some merch and I would’ve instantly agreed. I kinda feel bad for teaching the Ford dealers about the Lightning and what its strengths and weaknesses are compared to the R1T.

If some asks me about my truck, they get one question and a 20 minute monologue on why it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread

Sponsored

OP
OP
Greg Chick

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

I’m a bit verbose by nature, so, when I get asked “is that a Ford” I happily launch i to “no it’s a Rivian! Made in Illnios” I have a habit of talking about my R1T like it’s a child piano prodigy. Seriously, was at the Milwaukee auto show. Rivian could’ve asked me to man a booth at the show for some merch and I would’ve instantly agreed. I kinda feel bad for teaching the Ford dealers about the Lightning and what its strengths and weaknesses are compared to the R1T.

If some asks me about my truck, they get one question and a 20 minute monologue on why it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread
I try not to do that, but if I can get away with it, I do.

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Strangers who ask a question eventually ask if I work for for Rivian. My friends say I should work in sales for Rivian. I ask myself “am I as obnoxious as Tesla fanboys?” No, I tell myself, because Rivian is a better product and deserves my loyalty. Whereas Tesla is a tired design with a charlatan CEO.

stynes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S LE
Clubs

My most interesting exchange was nonverbal. I was on a road trip through Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago and got passed by two guys in a work truck. After they went around me, they slowed down. I moved over and passed them with the cruise set. As I did, they were filming me go around them and waving. Later they passed me again still filming. A couple of minutes later I go through a toll booth behind them. I pull up to pay the $2 and they had paid it for me. Waving as they drove off and giving me a big thumbs up.

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
No, I tell myself, because Rivian is a better product and deserves my loyalty. Whereas Tesla is a tired design with a charlatan CEO.
Rivian isn’t exactly anything new or compelling, just a pickup truck with a new propulsion method. The CEO could easily be described as a charlatan as well with the constant “coming soon, just kidding” press releases.

Jack Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian isn’t exactly anything new or compelling, just a pickup truck with a new propulsion method. The CEO could easily be described as a charlatan as well with the constant “coming soon, just kidding” press releases.
I was being self deprecating, I know I’m a Rivian fanboy. I beg to disagree, a quad motor is new and compelling, An EV pick up a new configuration, that’s compelling.

In an effort to not hijack the thread, an odd question I get asked at the end of my unsolicited sales pitch is “how much?” I respond with less than a TRex, Raptor, Lightning or a F150 in Limited trim
Sponsored