Sponsored

Interesting questions or statements in parking lots about R1T or S

mpw81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5 PHEV
Yesterday I was at a brewery in the neighborhood that is next to one of those golf simulator/bar kinds of places and a guy who saw me park came out with his golf bag and asked if he could see if it fit in the gear tunnel.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Owner of my local golf course was super interested in it. Asked a bunch of good questions: obviously knew what it was.

Another guy in the sprouts parking lot asked a bunch of questions. Talked about the lightning. Not sure he exactly knew what it was.

Asked how much it cost (this is my least favorite question because it takes a while to explain what it cost me with tax credit vs. what it might cost when you take delivery)
The way I answer that question is to tell them what it will cost them. It doesn’t matter what I paid pre March as they won’t get that deal. If they are interested for 70 they might not be for 100 and it will save them some time.

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Model 3, ‘99 Suburban, ‘24 GMC1500 AT4
Occupation
Airline pilot
I suggest we collect and enjoy things people say.
One guy asked me "Who makes your truck" I said Rivian, he replied "no, who makes it" I said Rivian, a company in the US, I think in Illinois, Texas and Calif. It is fully electric and really incredible. He replied, "They would never make an electric truck in Texas". I replied well, they may make it in Illionis and just have a service Ctr. in Texas. He asked what kinda power does it have, can it do 80 MPH? I said yea and, it's faster, it can do 0 - 60 in 3 Sec. He just walked away shaking his head.

Another guy asked is it 4x4? I said no, it's 4 motor. He replied, "no, what kinda transmission does it have?", I said no transmission, just 4 motors. I could hear his thoughts, "Where are the extra motors?".
They make “Jap” (what I assume that guys‘ narrow mind would say) trucks like Toyotas in Texas so why wouldn’t they make electric trucks? Does he not know that Tesla already has an enormous electric vehicle plant in Texas??? I wanted to assume the guy just didn’t know about Rivian in general but he seems like he’s just a regular moron like most people. They’re all hopeless.

OP
OP
Greg Chick

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired Plumbing Contractor
Clubs

They make “Jap” (what I assume that guys‘ narrow mind would say) trucks like Toyotas in Texas so why wouldn’t they make electric trucks? Does he not know that Tesla already has an enormous electric vehicle plant in Texas??? I wanted to assume the guy just didn’t know about Rivian in general, but he seems like he’s just a regular moron like most people. They’re all hopeless.
Tribal mindsets tend to not be progressive and keep up with emerging things. The term laggards come to mind, but not meaning to be derogatory, but use a word noting the "Lag" effect.
Some folks do not want change, therefore do not look to it. FYI, gas at the pump is very cheap in Texas. This loads a bias and possibly this is why Rivian is fighting laggards with progressives and built a center in Texas.

Sponsored

ceetiger

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, Adventure, Limestone, Forest Edge
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Only question I hear: "Hey, when are we getting our Rivian?". But that's just my family...
I get a lot of that too, because I made my deposit in June 2021, and Rivian keeps giving me the runaround on why they can't ship to my state.

ceetiger

JohnB R1T

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Certified Public Accountant
At a State Park campground, I was loading some gear into the frunk... a guy saw my hood raised and came down offering to provide assistance.
I live in a small town (yes, in Texas). It's the kind of place where too many people don't understand that there is a strong body of evidence that the "size of your jockstrap" is INVERSELY proportional to the amount of noise that your (usually unneccessarily) diesel pickup truck makes.

I was parked in front of my (not small, not cheap) house with the frunk hood raised when one of these guys drove by. For a change, he actually STOPPED at the stop sign in front of my house. His laughter was accompanied by "Ha Ha...broke down already??" as he rolled a little coal on the way out.

A few days later, a buddy of his and I were talking (he already knew the story). He was curious about the regenerative braking system. (There may be hope for some 17 year olds in our world). I took him on a "test ride" to the local convenience store and demonstrated.

After pulling onto the highway, I straightened out at about 10 mph and poked it to about 3/4 throttle... when I got to 62 mph, I dumped the accelerator and let the regen slow the truck to 30 mph. All in all, we had gone less than the "short edge" of a city block. For the next mile to the convenience store, all he could say was "oh my God" over and over.

On the way home, he said "You KNOW this is the fastest thing in town, right?" My response was, "Yep, and I don't have to prove it. Just let your friends know".

I love my truck!

OP
OP
Greg Chick

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

The future is here today, one's mind needs to be up to speed to see it, however.
Too bad you didn't the naysayer to come over, you could have shown him someone stole your engine! But you will race him for titles.

Sponsored

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Been spending a lot of time helping stock trout streams this month in Northern rural PA. I get a fair amount of interest, sometimes from those you least expect. Like others, I turn into what should be a paid salesman for Rivian, but they have no doubt I love my truck and it does everything I ask it to as good or better than any ICE vehicle I ever owned. Period.

My favorite thing to do is confuse them with my "How long does it take to charge?" answer. My standard response is 10 seconds, 5 to plug it in, 5 to unplug it. The rest of the time I'm eating, shopping, or sitting on the couch. I then point out my Dad has to drive 30 miles round trip at a minimum to the closest gas station to stand out in the cold for 5 or 10 minutes to fill his gas tank when we are at camp. So unless you are a crack addict driving around all night to score your next hit, the EV will save you a lot of time "fueling" compared to a gas vehicle in a rural area where you have even basic electrical service.

OP
OP
Greg Chick

Greg Chick

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Clubs

Been spending a lot of time helping stock trout streams this month in Northern rural PA. I get a fair amount of interest, sometimes from those you least expect. Like others, I turn into what should be a paid salesman for Rivian, but they have no doubt I love my truck and it does everything I ask it to as good or better than any ICE vehicle I ever owned. Period.

My favorite thing to do is confuse them with my "How long does it take to charge?" answer. My standard response is 10 seconds, 5 to plug it in, 5 to unplug it. The rest of the time I'm eating, shopping, or sitting on the couch. I then point out my Dad has to drive 30 miles round trip at a minimum to the closest gas station to stand out in the cold for 5 or 10 minutes to fill his gas tank when we are at camp. So unless you are a crack addict driving around all night to score your next hit, the EV will save you a lot of time "fueling" compared to a gas vehicle in a rural area where you have even basic electrical service.
I tend to be a bit snarky myself. I have replied to the charging time question with, it charges in my garage at night when I sleep, I don't care. Or, depends on how powerful the charging station is. But 15 min. at a fast charger is enough to go couple hundred miles.

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
I tend to be a bit snarky myself. I have replied to the charging time question with, it charges in my garage at night when I sleep, I don't care. Or, depends on how powerful the charging station is. But 15 min. at a fast charger is enough to go couple hundred miles.
15 min for a couple hundred is exaggerating just a bit, but it isn't lying to say you can do a 500 mile trip with two 20 minute stops when you start at 300 miles with 100% and can add ~100 in 20 minutes pretty easily. I don't think I have ever done a 500 mile trip without sitting down to eat for longer than that at least once, so in reality could go well over 500 with nothing other than the normal food stops. Just might not have as many choices for the food though based on more limited locations to stop.
Sponsored