Sponsored

Interesting insurance issue: Scratched EV battery? Your insurer may have to junk the whole car

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
Forgive me for this general story not directly related to Rivian (@Administrator feel free to delete if you want) but given some of the discussions about insurance I thought this is an interesting concern and I wonder how Rivians will hold up and I wonder how insurance costs will be modified as more data on repairability of Rivians is available.

The "straight to the grinder" concern is also paramount for those seeking an EV as a way to lower their "footprint" since they may be more likely to be deemed totaled by insurance companies well before any "green" benefit is realized.

Scratched EV battery? Your insurer may have to junk the whole car

Sandy Munro, head of Michigan-based Munro & Associates, which tears down vehicles and advises automakers on how to improve them, said the Model Y battery pack has "zero repairability."

"A Tesla structural battery pack is going straight to the grinder," Munro said.

I found it interesting the Tesla isn't sharing battery data with insurance companies which complicates whether a car is totaled or not. It was the first I heard about the lawsuit concerning this issue.
Sponsored