Sponsored

Insurance premiums for a Rivian ... or any EV for that matter

EyeOnRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach-E 4X, Mitsubishi Endeavor. Pre-order: R1S LE
With the plethora of articles covering the announcement today of Tesla "promising owners of its electric vehicles to deliver rates 20% and even as high as 30% lower than other insurance providers," I thought it would be helpful to have a thread dedicated to this topic, that is, how the insurance industry is handling (or not) the increasing number of EVs on the road. Perhaps current owners of EVs could share any insights on with regard to insurance, say, coverage or premiums, that may be noteworthy.

With insurance companies trying to figure out how to "fairly" calculate premiums for owners of EVs (other than err on the high side from what I read and hear from friends), can't help but wonder if 1) what kind of premiums insurance companies will offer for owning a Rivian, and 2) if Rivian will make a similar move, perhaps down the road, and also offer car insurance.
Sponsored

PoorPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have some vehicles and stuff
Clubs

My premiums went up last year when I purchased a Model X, but I fully expected them to simply because the next youngest vehicle in our garage/driveway was 7 years old and I was replacing a 12 year old vehicle. With that being said, the increase wasn’t ridiculous. I have a $1000 deductible and typical coverage for a new vehicle of this value. I also get discounts for multiple vehicles, home owners insurance, investment accounts, safe driving, 20+ year member, etc. all with USAA.

For specifics, feel free to message me.

Hmp10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S P90D; 2018 Honda Odyssey
My Tesla insurance rate has been a bit lower than ICE vehicles I have owned of similar cost. Theft is one of the big cost drivers in insurance premiums, and not many EVs get stolen. Not only would a thief have to have a means to start it, he would have to charge it, and he would have to be able to override the internet tracking of the vehicle. I also doubt if many chop shops are equipped to handle the high voltage of an EV chassis.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I'll add that I was not shocked when I saw the premium change upon adding a Tesla Model X (the most expensive car I've ever owned). OTOH my personal property tax bill DID shock the hell out of me.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
My premiums went up last year when I purchased a Model X, but I fully expected them to simply because the next youngest vehicle in our garage/driveway was 7 years old and I was replacing a 12 year old vehicle. With that being said, the increase wasn’t ridiculous. I have a $1000 deductible and typical coverage for a new vehicle of this value. I also get discounts for multiple vehicles, home owners insurance, investment accounts, safe driving, 20+ year member, etc. all with USAA.

For specifics, feel free to message me.
I married into USAA. I think my wife and her mom would need to start stabbing me more than just occasionally for divorce to seem worth it.
Sponsored