Sponsored

Insurance cost, which companies will provide insurance?

hensot01

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
VP
Does anyone have a quote on insurance they would be willing to share? Just wondering what the costs might be compared to say an F150.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I doubt any insurance company would give an accurate quote, at this time.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Most insurance companies need a VIN number in order to give you a quote. I was on the phone with my insurer (Progressive) on another matter and asked if they had any rate info for Rivian yet. Answer was “I’d need a VIN to look that up.”

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Insurance rates are heavily tied to age, location, driving record, annual mileage, # of policies, credit score, typical vehicle usage, etc.
Other people's rates are generally of very little use.
Most companies can give a non-binding estimate without a VIN (at least on established vehicles/manufacturers).

Sponsored

Moonjock

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 Chevrolet Avalanche
Occupation
Lab Tech
State Farm gave me an unofficial quite back in January. It was reasonable but the vehicle is not out yet and I would not be surprised if the rate changes.

Rivian-WI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60
Clubs

Asking for the VIN to just get a quote seems a little personal to me. :)
I would think It would not be needed to get a 'rough' quote.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Does anyone have a quote on insurance they would be willing to share? Just wondering what the costs might be compared to say an F150.
I've seen some comments in another thread about insurance quotes, but I'd be surprised to see any carrier provide a "hard" quote for full coverage on any Rivian as of yet. Insurers typically wait until everything (or at least much more) is known about a vehicle before being able to provide a bindable quote. The actual performance statistics will be critical in assessing the liability rates, as will the crash testing results. Those crash test results, in addition to parts and repair/paint/glass pricing will also impact the comprehensive and collision aspects of the coverage. All of this is further complicated by the large battery and skateboard platform, both of which are relatively new developments in the auto insurance world. I know of no carrier that will quote anything without a VIN. All of the pertinent vehicle info is tied to that number. The rest of the quote will depend on your particular info, including, but not limited to, your credit score, driving record, and demographics, including age, gender, and location of your garaging address.

Some of this changes a little if Rivian decides to stay in-house with the insurance, which they've stated they may do. They may run it themselves, or they may partner with an existing carrier (State Farm is Rivian's neighbor). As I mentioned in that other thread, should Rivian provide coverage for their vehicles, I am wondering if they'll also offer coverage for all vehicles in the household with their product. If they do not, you may have issues in having your vehicles split between two carriers. That all depends on your current or prospective carrier outside of Rivian.

Many people choose to have an Umbrella policy to provide an additional 1 or 2 million dollars of coverage above and beyond their underlying Auto and Homeowner's policy. If you have an Umbrella policy with your current carrier, and are contemplating insuring through your R1T or R1S through Rivian, make certain your current carrier is comfortable with it. They may require all vehicles in the household to be covered under their underlying Auto policy to be included in under their Umbrella policy.

Regardless of what you decide to do for Auto coverage, I highly recommend you consider an Umbrella policy for the additional layer of $1,000,000 or $2,000,000 of liability coverage. If you own your home and/or have investments and other assets that you want to protect in the event you're found liable for loss to others, you'll appreciate having this extra policy. I don't think I've ever issued one that cost more than $450, and that was for a client with an additional vacation home and plenty of toys (quads and a boat). I tell my clients this is a "SWAN" policy, for "Sleep Well At Night".

While writing this, Moonjock's note (and those of others) popped up regarding State Farm. I'd love to hear exactly what S.F. did provide for that early quote, but appreciate that they say it will change once more info in released by Rivian and developed by the carrier. As other point out, that quote will mean nothing to anyone else, as we're all unique in our situations.

One other recommendation I have is for all of you to find out if you can have a glass buy-back in your comprehensive deductible. That means that while you may carry a high comp deductible to keep costs down, you pay no deductible for a glass loss. Given the newness of Rivian, and especially when thinking of the large, unique, glass roof, these repairs will likely be spendy. If you can avoid a high out-of-pocket deductible expense for a small annual increase for the glass exception to your comprehensive coverage, it may be worth checking it out. I sell and service personal and commercial insurance in Oregon and Washington, and with the sand and gravel used here in place of salt for snow and ice, I've had many folks thank me for this advice. I've also advised them that you're better off waiting until this time of year for those repairs, if you can, as our mountain passes are likely done with the snow mitigation measures until next winter.

Because of my concern over the possible replacement of a sunroof, just last
night I wrote to Customer Service to inquire about a fairing for the front crossbar above the Sunroof. I have one for each of two cars with Yakima systems on the roof. While it helps with the aerodynamics and wind noise, I'm more concerned about the event of a rock strike against the front bar and having that rock driven down into the glass, shattering it. In years of handling claims before getting into the Agency side of things, I've seen that happen. It's not only expensive, but very dangerous at highway speeds, to say nothing about how it could ruin a vacation, let alone any day around town.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but the insurance questions about our new Rivians are very important to me. This is not only because I'm a CCN (Certified Car Nut) but also a lifelong Insurance guy who is the son of a lifelong Insurance guy.

TessP100D

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 2017 P100D MS
I've seen some comments in another thread about insurance quotes, but I'd be surprised to see any carrier provide a "hard" quote for full coverage on any Rivian as of yet. Insurers typically wait until everything (or at least much more) is known about a vehicle before being able to provide a bindable quote. The actual performance statistics will be critical in assessing the liability rates, as will the crash testing results. Those crash test results, in addition to parts and repair/paint/glass pricing will also impact the comprehensive and collision aspects of the coverage. All of this is further complicated by the large battery and skateboard platform, both of which are relatively new developments in the auto insurance world. I know of no carrier that will quote anything without a VIN. All of the pertinent vehicle info is tied to that number. The rest of the quote will depend on your particular info, including, but not limited to, your credit score, driving record, and demographics, including age, gender, and location of your garaging address.

Some of this changes a little if Rivian decides to stay in-house with the insurance, which they've stated they may do. They may run it themselves, or they may partner with an existing carrier (State Farm is Rivian's neighbor). As I mentioned in that other thread, should Rivian provide coverage for their vehicles, I am wondering if they'll also offer coverage for all vehicles in the household with their product. If they do not, you may have issues in having your vehicles split between two carriers. That all depends on your current or prospective carrier outside of Rivian.

Many people choose to have an Umbrella policy to provide an additional 1 or 2 million dollars of coverage above and beyond their underlying Auto and Homeowner's policy. If you have an Umbrella policy with your current carrier, and are contemplating insuring through your R1T or R1S through Rivian, make certain your current carrier is comfortable with it. They may require all vehicles in the household to be covered under their underlying Auto policy to be included in under their Umbrella policy.

Regardless of what you decide to do for Auto coverage, I highly recommend you consider an Umbrella policy for the additional layer of $1,000,000 or $2,000,000 of liability coverage. If you own your home and/or have investments and other assets that you want to protect in the event you're found liable for loss to others, you'll appreciate having this extra policy. I don't think I've ever issued one that cost more than $450, and that was for a client with an additional vacation home and plenty of toys (quads and a boat). I tell my clients this is a "SWAN" policy, for "Sleep Well At Night".

While writing this, Moonjock's note (and those of others) popped up regarding State Farm. I'd love to hear exactly what S.F. did provide for that early quote, but appreciate that they say it will change once more info in released by Rivian and developed by the carrier. As other point out, that quote will mean nothing to anyone else, as we're all unique in our situations.

One other recommendation I have is for all of you to find out if you can have a glass buy-back in your comprehensive deductible. That means that while you may carry a high comp deductible to keep costs down, you pay no deductible for a glass loss. Given the newness of Rivian, and especially when thinking of the large, unique, glass roof, these repairs will likely be spendy. If you can avoid a high out-of-pocket deductible expense for a small annual increase for the glass exception to your comprehensive coverage, it may be worth checking it out. I sell and service personal and commercial insurance in Oregon and Washington, and with the sand and gravel used here in place of salt for snow and ice, I've had many folks thank me for this advice. I've also advised them that you're better off waiting until this time of year for those repairs, if you can, as our mountain passes are likely done with the snow mitigation measures until next winter.

Because of my concern over the possible replacement of a sunroof, just last
night I wrote to Customer Service to inquire about a fairing for the front crossbar above the Sunroof. I have one for each of two cars with Yakima systems on the roof. While it helps with the aerodynamics and wind noise, I'm more concerned about the event of a rock strike against the front bar and having that rock driven down into the glass, shattering it. In years of handling claims before getting into the Agency side of things, I've seen that happen. It's not only expensive, but very dangerous at highway speeds, to say nothing about how it could ruin a vacation, let alone any day around town.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but the insurance questions about our new Rivians are very important to me. This is not only because I'm a CCN (Certified Car Nut) but also a lifelong Insurance guy who is the son of a lifelong Insurance guy.
Well said sir.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I'd concur about waiting until there's a few VINS in the wild before believing any insurance quotes. That said we can all speculate can't we :CWL:?

Tesla's rate would seem the closet to inspect - do we see large increases/decreases to rates for Tesla models? They would seem to benefit from those best in class crash test ratings, yes? Rivian seems determined to gain those best ratings as well...

A relative working in claims for Liberty Mutual mentioned to me re: Tesla- a seemingly minor accident causing damage to the rocker panel area of a Tesla would trigger the insurance company to total the vehicle. It had to do with their fear of damage to the battery pack, real or suspected. I expect that could be an issue influencing premiums for all EVs with a 'skateboard' design, including the Rivian.

...but speculation on my part....

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'd concur about waiting until there's a few VINS in the wild before believing any insurance quotes. That said we can all speculate can't we :CWL:?

Tesla's rate would seem the closet to inspect - do we see large increases/decreases to rates for Tesla models? They would seem to benefit from those best in class crash test ratings, yes? Rivian seems determined to gain those best ratings as well...

A relative working in claims for Liberty Mutual mentioned to me re: Tesla- a seemingly minor accident causing damage to the rocker panel area of a Tesla would trigger the insurance company to total the vehicle. It had to do with their fear of damage to the battery pack, real or suspected. I expect that could be an issue influencing premiums for all EVs with a 'skateboard' design, including the Rivian.

Yes, real-word info on Tesla insurance rates indicate they tend to be higher than ICE vehicles. They have a lot of factors stacked against them, unfortunately. They have a high purchase/replacement cost, which drives rates up. They have high repair costs, again pushing costs up. They are not as well understood or supported by independent body shops so that pushes costs up. There is little-to-no aftermarket body panel and part support, pushing costs up. And on top of it all is the "uncertainty" which really just translates to "risk" as far as insurance companies are concerned -- driving costs up.

Rivian has their own insurance team. I assume they've tried to educate underwriters and help build models that are more favorable for drivers (reduce unknowns and you can reduce the "what-if" inflation that gets baked into rates). We'll have to wait and see what rates people are getting once deliveries actually begin.

I wouldn't trust any mainstream insurer to provide an accurate quote, right now.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

Cost of repair will be a big driver of the rates. If they use Tesla as a baseline, expect high rates. I’ve had two incidents with front end damage to my Tesla. Both were over $10k repair bills.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I use Metromile and hope to continue using them unless Rivian come out with a by the mile insurance. I pay a small-ish monthly flat-rate and then a few cents a mile. I have saved quite a bit since the pandemic and really like the model...If I was a long, daily commuter not sure if it would make sense, but I am not, so a great fit.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Well said sir.
Thank you, TessP100D?

Obviously, It'll be a few months until these things are a reality, along with any issued insurance policies. I sure hope everyone publishes what they were able to secure and the company they went through. Of course, pricing will be very different for each of us, but it will give everyone an idea of the carriers with an appetite for Rivian's Adventurous vehicles.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Asking for the VIN to just get a quote seems a little personal to me. :)
I would think It would not be needed to get a 'rough' quote.
A Chevy Truck VIN tells them whether it's a $30K or $80K truck. It's just easier for them to use the VIN to provide an accurate quote, since it encodes model year and most/all of the significant options - model series/weight rating, engine, heavy duty, 2 door, 4 door, extended cab, etc.

They want to avoid the resulting issues of giving someone an unverified rough quote for $X, and then when they call back with the VIN, it's $2x because the owner never mentioned it was a extended cab, heavy duty, powerstroke diesel, dually 3 ton model. I can't really blame them for doing this.
Sponsored