Sponsored

Rivian on a Rampage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, GMC Sierra, Ford 555, 29 Ford tudor
I think using the build in compressor and a pneumatic jack would be nice. Maybe more work setting it up then it's worth...
Sponsored

BrayBay

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Launch Edition R1S - Forest Green/Forest Edge
Clubs

Thanks for sharing your experience.

This picture terrifies me. Something about lifting and holding an 8,000lb truck with a jack like that gives me anxiety. Fortunately you were in a garage, but I couldn't imagine trying to do this on the shoulder of a busy freeway in bad weather.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
I would not recommend plugging a tire on a vehicle this heavy with high PSI. I looked into this when I had an identical issue to the OP, and was multiply told to do a full patch (typically a plug-patch). I think you are looking for a DIY solution but most tire shops won’t do regular plugs these days. Rivian offered to pay for my tire patch through PepBoys but the manager did it for free because he was excited to see the truck. It would have only been $30 if I had had to pay and they warranty their repairs.
Being safe is good, patches are always better than plugs alone. That’s said, I’ve plugged several Model X wheels and tires. Slightly less weight, but PSI was 45-50psi. Never had an issue with the plugs. In a bind I wouldn’t hesitate to use it, especially for those without spares.

OP
OP
OverZealous

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
This picture terrifies me. Something about lifting and holding an 8,000lb truck with a jack like that gives me anxiety. Fortunately you were in a garage, but I couldn't imagine trying to do this on the shoulder of a busy freeway in bad weather.
Yeah, I had that thought several times. I shouldn't have left the door open like that, but originally I was thinking I needed to be able to see the screen where the instructions were. This failed in several ways:
  1. I couldn't read them from outside anyway (or reach in to scroll)
  2. The truck shut the screen off not long after I got started
  3. Once I got the wheel off, I realized that it wasn't safe to shut the door, so I just left it cracked open like that so it wouldn't shake the truck.
Beyond that mistake, it amazingly didn't feel wobbly. I wouldn't have pushed on it, but I had to wrestle the spare back onto the hub, and while the truck moved slightly, everything was OK.

Either way, don't crawl around under it when it's in the air like that. :p

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Thanks for sharing your experience.

scissor jacks are pretty safe, unless they’re the “clever” one sided ones used by certain German automakers.

and it’s not like the entire ~8000lbs is on one corner

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Hi lifts are a great way to kill yourself :) Not useful for much.

A standard hydraulic bottle jack and base (IE: wood ) is fine.
OK circling back to tell acknowledge that you are right. I found zero places to use the hi lift on the Rivian (without doing some inevitable damage). I should have taken some pictures, but I let my phone die overnight. You have to remove plastic panels with Torx screw driver and even then Im not sure it will give you enough room from the side. Pointless.

Aardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model 3
Do Rivian vehicles have a "Jack Mode" like Tesla MS and MX that prevents the suspension from changing while jacking the truck?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Do Rivian vehicles have a "Jack Mode" like Tesla MS and MX that prevents the suspension from changing while jacking the truck?
Yes.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

OverZealous thank you for the detailed post and for sharing your experience, although I'm sorry you have the experience to begin with. Luckily the screw was in a part of the tire where it can be repaired.

You and others who are sharing with so much detail are doing God's work!

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

I just got the call yesterday that they're coming to install mine, roughly 8 weeks after I took delivery. So now, am just missing the wristband key and Rivian will be all squared up with me. Also, having them reprogram my truck to recognize that it has 33" tires on it instead of the standard All-Terrains at 34".

Edit: Misunderstood the intention of the post. Well, i guess now that I'll actually have one!! I'll be able to follow the instructions if necessary.

Curious question, does the spare tire have a tire pressure monitor in it? Did the truck pick it up and display the pressure on that tire while you had the spare on?

Last edited:

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Curious question, does the spare tire have a tire pressure monitor in it? Did the truck pick it up and display the pressure on that tire while you had the spare on?
It does, and should be automatically recognized.

OP
OP
OverZealous

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I finally got the wheel back today (Monday, 4 days later). The folks were nice enough to not charge me for the patch—I assume because I gave 4 of them a show-and-tell with the truck. But I think it would have been $30 normally.

I didn't look too closely. It was raining slightly and I had to get back to work, but it seems fine. They were also kind enough to lift it onto the tailgate for me, so I didn't have to lift it again.

cbuckley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
The folks were nice enough to not charge me for the patch—I assume because I gave 4 of them a show-and-tell with the truck. But I think it would have been $30 normally.
I had same experience - definitely not a perk of ownership that I anticipated!

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
I made the mistake of not reading and missed #2 on your list. Scratched the wheel on that rod pulling it out. Lesson learned, but I hate instructions!