First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Systems Engineering Manager - Veh Data Acquisition Software
I hated the idea of a long cable running along my garage floor and it was compounded by the fact I wanted/needed to back my Rivian into the garage (charge port on front left). Came up with a solution where I had my Rivian Level 2 charger mounted in the ceiling and used a $55 Tool Balancer to let me pull it down and then back up to store it out of the way.

Everyone has a little different layout, but I made this video to offer the next person some ideas.

Parts List Links:
Tool Balancer link
Rubber Clamps link
Picture hanging Clips (Ace Hardware) link
Rivian R1T R1S Installing a Retractable Level 2 Charger on Garage Ceiling (Tool Balancer) PXL_20221117_020650824
Sponsored

Last edited:

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I might want to do that. Mine drags on the ground now and the truck brings in all sorts of dirt and rocks. I can see that messing up my cord over time.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
I'm surprised that various EVSE makers are not offering units specifically designed for ceiling mount. Sort of a no-brainer.

Also surprised that they don't equip units with charge cables that can detach under stress so the charger doesn't get damaged. Case in point, I recently stopped to charge my Lightning at an EA location, WalMart parking lot. One of the chargers was obviously damaged and a crew was working on it. I asked the guys what happened and the theory was someone left a charge cord on the ground which got snagged while plowing snow. I see dangling charge cords occasionally. Not so bad as it was a couple years ago, but still an issue. I think some of the newer stations won't close out the charge session until the charge cord is docked, but many don't do this.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
I'm surprised that various EVSE makers are not offering units specifically designed for ceiling mount. Sort of a no-brainer.

Also surprised that they don't equip units with charge cables that can detach under stress so the charger doesn't get damaged. Case in point, I recently stopped to charge my Lightning at an EA location, WalMart parking lot. One of the chargers was obviously damaged and a crew was working on it. I asked the guys what happened and the theory was someone left a charge cord on the ground which got snagged while plowing snow. I see dangling charge cords occasionally. Not so bad as it was a couple years ago, but still an issue. I think some of the newer stations won't close out the charge session until the charge cord is docked, but many don't do this.
That's sad. Inconsiderate jerks that can't hang up a cord so that it's in the condition they found it really irk me. There's no reason to not take care of a charger so that it's in operable condition for the next person who needs it. People who don't do the bare minimum shouldn't be allowed to live in society with the civilized people. You'd think that the EV lot would be more the type to act in an appropriate manner but I guess not.

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
I have the same problem as when I built my house I had my outlet installed where it would be setup for Tesla charging (left rear corner) but ended up with a Rivian. So now my cable drags along the floor and it a pain to manage with all my bicycles, etc.

Thanks for sharing your solution.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SilverGhost

SilverGhost

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
I have the same problem as when I built my house I had my outlet installed where it would be setup for Tesla charging (left rear corner) but ended up with a Rivian. So now my cable drags along the floor and it a pain to manage with all my bicycles, etc.

Thanks for sharing your solution.
Yup, I thought about that too... new vehicle with different connector locations messes up the whole setup. That was another plus once I found a Tool balancer with a 6 ft cable, it allowed me to put the level 2 charger basically in the middle of my garage ceiling. I have some flexibility now to move to all 4 corners.

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
Yup, I thought about that too... new vehicle with different connector locations messes up the whole setup. That was another plus once I found a Tool balancer with a 6 ft cable, it allowed me to put the level 2 charger basically in the middle of my garage ceiling. I have some flexibility now to move to all 4 corners.
Did you look for a "tool balancer" that locks in place? Like window blinds that you pull down to lock in place and then pull again to retract?

OP
OP
SilverGhost

SilverGhost

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Did you look for a "tool balancer" that locks in place? Like window blinds that you pull down to lock in place and then pull again to retract?
If you are referring to air compressor hose style reels where you give a tug and they lock in place, I looked for that option but found none. The Level 2 cord is to heavy gauge to easily wind around a compressor style wheel. Tool Balancer with same type of behavior didn't seem to exist... at least not until you start spending $500, $1000 or even more for the really fancy stuff. I spent $55. If you find a cool alternative, absolutely post it. 👍

Aag12

First Name
B
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Na
The Amazon links in your YouTube description don't work! Can you repost here?

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
SilverGhost

SilverGhost

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
The Amazon links in your YouTube description don't work! Can you repost here?
I think they'll start working later, Youtube is slow to update it. Here you go....

Tool Balancer link
Rubber Clamps link
Picture hanging Clips (Ace Hardware) link

nomis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S; Toyota Rav4
Clubs

If you are referring to air compressor hose style reels where you give a tug and they lock in place, I looked for that option but found none. The Level 2 cord is to heavy gauge to easily wind around a compressor style wheel. Tool Balancer with same type of behavior didn't seem to exist... at least not until you start spending $500, $1000 or even more for the really fancy stuff. I spent $55. If you find a cool alternative, absolutely post it. 👍
From a earlier post; RF1918 was able to achieve a locking retractable charger setup using:
Tigon TW-1R Retractor, Spring/Tool Balancer (Load Capacity: 0.5-1.5 kg/1.1-3.3 lbs) Adjustable cable stopper
https://a.co/d/hO3nzY1

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...2-home-charger-installs-here.7940/post-199424

edit: maybe not locking, but adjusted to equilibrium with the charge handle. Doesn't look like there is any tension in the photo where its plugged in to the vehicle.
Sponsored

Last edited: