Sponsored

skunn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian Blue R1T, Tesla Model 3
I'm having my roof tinted right now with Suntek CIR to help with the heat in the cabin. Have several friends who have tinted the roof window in their teslas, Taycans, etc and the difference is immense in comfort.
Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Appearance wise your R1T came out great. Exactly what I plan on doing minus the roof tint.

Rivian R1T R1S Installed on R1T: Tinted ROOF glass and CLEAR FRONT windshield HEAT and UV blocker film and window tint!! 1662677405468

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Just my two cents - I had heat reduction film installed on my R1T's front windshield (and the side and rear windows), but nothing on my roof.
Wow. In just "warm Oregon day" sun, I could feel the top of my head (thanks, grandpa, for the male pattern baldness gene) quite badly from the glass heating up/infrared through glass.

SingleMalt

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Soon to be retired
For a less expensive alternative, the Heatshield sunshields work very well. I have the windshield and the "top window" shield. I leave the top in all of the time. Very occasionally I'll have to press on the suction cups, but generally the shield stays in place quite well. The nice thing is that I can remove it for the winter. Anyway, if you're looking for a decent alternative, I can recommend the Heatshield products. I've used the windshield shades in other vehicles and they really do keep the temperatures down when the vehicles are parked outside.

Here's a link for the Rivian shields:

https://www.heatshieldstore.com/car-window-shades/2022-rivian-r1t-crew

FWIW

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Wow. In just "warm Oregon day" sun, I could feel the top of my head (thanks, grandpa, for the male pattern baldness gene) quite badly from the glass heating up/infrared through glass.
LOL I confess, I have not shaved my head yet for more thorough testing! Maybe next summer! Dallas had it's 2nd hottest July on record, and the glass roof tinting that comes with the vehicle was more than sufficient for my full head of hair, though. Any heat that was coming through was totally unnoticeable to me.

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

For a less expensive alternative, the Heatshield sunshields work very well. I have the windshield and the "top window" shield. I leave the top in all of the time. Very occasionally I'll have to press on the suction cups, but generally the shield stays in place quite well. The nice thing is that I can remove it for the winter. Anyway, if you're looking for a decent alternative, I can recommend the Heatshield products. I've used the windshield shades in other vehicles and they really do keep the temperatures down when the vehicles are parked outside.

Here's a link for the Rivian shields:

https://www.heatshieldstore.com/car-window-shades/2022-rivian-r1t-crew

FWIW
That's what I bought - with express shipping so I'd have it for the road trip we were taking 4 days after delivery - after the first day driving. It would be nice to be able to have the glass roof to see up from without feeling like my scalp is in a roasting pan, though. :-D

OP
OP
texasBuzzard

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
I wasn't implying it was an issue with all glass roofs, just Rivian's. My detailer said they did one that cracked a day later. My buddies cracked after leaning across it to dry it with a towel. Others have had no issue. I was going to do mine as well when I had PPF done, but decided to wait until I heard more feedback. I'm in Texas as well, and will take any relief from the heat I can get.
I'm seriously worried about this with the R1S, even more glass to deal with. But I definitely want to UV it at least, if not tint.

RivianBowerbird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I did basically the same thing to mine right down to the front window with Air 90 (Sunbusters in Austin is fantastic!) with the exception of using the slightly higher end Stratos tint from the same company. I waffled on the roof tint, but finally decided to do it. I do not regret it in the least.

They told me that the installation of the tint does not reduce the temperature of the glass because the tint just stops transmission of heat causing solar radiation (IR, some visible light) down onto you. The tint effectively diffuses the energy into the glass. The glass relies on cooling as air passes over it from either side to dissipate this heat. This is why you'll feel the glass become hot to the touch and even radiate some heat while you're parked even with the tint. Once you're moving that heat disspates much more easily.

Sponsored

Dhime

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Dentist
I appreciate the information and all the thoughtful replies about heat gain through the glass roof. I think the bigger question is why so many EV's are only offered with glass roofs? Most places in the southern US have unbearably hot summers (I'm in Austin, TX where we just had the hottest June/July on record). Is there a reason that a solid roof is not available?

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 Model 3, ‘99 Suburban, ‘24 GMC1500 AT4
Occupation
Airline pilot
Lives in Texas and complaining about the heat and you decided to buy a BLACK R1T with BLACK interior???? I know that isn't the issue with the heat coming thru the glass roof but damn man, buy a lighter colored truck with the Ocean Coast interior!

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I appreciate the information and all the thoughtful replies about heat gain through the glass roof. I think the bigger question is why so many EV's are only offered with glass roofs? Most places in the southern US have unbearably hot summers (I'm in Austin, TX where we just had the hottest June/July on record). Is there a reason that a solid roof is not available?
Could just be internet legend at this point but I recall someone saying that manufacturers believe we as customers feel glass roofs are more premium and thus they can charge more for the priveledge of having one. Or use it to help justify the pricing of a product.

onthebrake

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T LE - 3/31/2022 Took Delivery
Occupation
Project Manager
I tinted my driver and passenger windows to match the rears, tinted the roof with Limo tint, and did the windshield with 50% tint. All Lumar IRX tint which is their highest grade, IR blocking tint they sell. They do a ton of Teslas too with no issues doing the roof. It cut down the heat, big time !!!!! My R1T is white, BTW.

Dhime

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Dentist
Lives in Texas and complaining about the heat and you decided to buy a BLACK R1T with BLACK interior???? I know that isn't the issue with the heat coming thru the glass roof but damn man, buy a lighter colored truck with the Ocean Coast interior!
I live in Texas and have spec'd the white exterior. Just can't stand the thought of black after this past summer!
Sponsored