First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Dentist
I can see me doing this on (at least) the roof with my bald head if I decide to buy/keep the Rivian vs. my lightning.

How much did everything cost you?
Would be nice to know... how much we need to spend on premium UV/IR protection on our $90K+ vehicle. I hope they'll come out with a solid roof option. My last two cars have not had moon roofs because there is just not that much time that they're practical in Central Texas. I have not missed them at all.
Sponsored

Airbuswillie

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜21 Model 3, ā€˜99 Suburban, ā€˜24 GMC1500 AT4
Occupation
Airline pilot
I live in Texas and have spec'd the white exterior. Just can't stand the thought of black after this past summer!
Yea man. White on Ocean Coast would be the way to go in hot ass southern states. It wonā€™t fix the issue but itā€™ll help!

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
I had my front and back side windows tinted, my installer who has years of experience and even though it was his first Rivian did not recommend tinting the roof for fears of cracking over time. The truck will live in Arizona over the winter, I'll wait and see if the roof really lets in too much heat as some folks have experienced. I will report back my high heat experience in a month or so:sun::sun:šŸ˜Ž

4/2/23

After 6 months in Arizona I really can't report much due to AZ experiencing the coldest winter in recent memory. However the last few days have been sunny and around 80 and I haven't noticed any more heat emanating from the glass roof, the AC really cools the cab nicely. On another note I am starting to see many more R1t & R1Ss on the road here in Scottsdale.

Last edited:

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Yea this must be a thing, I was surprised a reputable tint and ppf installer for all the exotic cars and a lot of teslas wasnā€™t willing to do roof glass. When I asked why they wonā€™t do model y roofs, they said it already has really good IR and UV not worth doing. But that didnā€™t make sense to me, theyā€™re a business theyā€™d want to sell product. So my guess is there are some problems with tinting roof glass, whether overly complicated install or cracked glass or something else.

will continue to watch out for others doing. In my limited experience with the R1 I definitely feel radiating heat from the roof. Iā€™m 6ā€™1 so maybe Iā€™m closer to the roof so I feel it more. My wife didnā€™t notice it much at all sheā€™s 5ā€™6.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
The roof and the windshield are both tempered and should have close to 100% UV protection. The side and rear windows are a mystery. But UV has more to do with skin damage and cancer than it does with heat.

IR is the culprit for most of the heat. Rivian won't share how much IR blockage is provided in the factory R1 configuration. Somebody on here may have measured various windows with a device in an old thread. Some have suggested the biggest bang for your buck is IR tint for the front two windows and the windshield only.

Radiant heat from the "black" glass roof is a thing. Tinting won't help with that. I personally haven't experienced this to be that bad on 100+ degree days but obviously an insulated headliner would be superior.

Sponsored

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I'm surprised nobody installed a highly reflective mirrored tint on the outside of the glass roof. Exterior applied tint is available and installed on commercial buildings so I see no reason why this can't be installed on the exterior of the glass roof. Having the reflective properties applied to the exterior of the glass roof will mean less thermal heat gain since both heat and light are being refected back to the sky before it has an opportunity to physically heat the glass itself. The performance of such an application will far exceed that of any interior applied tint.

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
The roof and the windshield are both tempered and should have close to 100% UV protection. The side and rear windows are a mystery. But UV has more to do with skin damage and cancer than it does with heat.

IR is the culprit for most of the heat. Rivian won't share how much IR blockage is provided in the factory R1 configuration. Somebody on here may have measured various windows with a device in an old thread. Some have suggested the biggest bang for your buck is IR tint for the front two windows and the windshield only.

Radiant heat from the "black" glass roof is a thing. Tinting won't help with that. I personally haven't experienced this to be that bad on 100+ degree days but obviously an insulated headliner would be superior.
I remember a tint guy telling me that the back windows that are shaded are a stained glass, they have no UV or substantial IR reduction and that tint will make a big difference for even the factory "tinted/stained" back windows. I ended up tinting the fronts and doing IR with 70% tint on windshield and all rear glass, seemed like it made a notable difference. On the tesla its tricky to really know the temperature difference as the AC auto kicks in when the cabin temperature reaches over 105, so the car basically never gets hotter than that, unless you disable that feature (which I have not).

What I did notice is just my arm being next to my untainted windows would feel very warm on a sunny day pre tinting and the front dash would get very hot, I dont notice this nearly as much after windshield and window tinted.

AsianPersuasian

First Name
SuperDave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
That's what I was wondering but there is a product that can be installed on the outside

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I remember a tint guy telling me that the back windows that are shaded are a stained glass, they have no UV or substantial IR reduction and that tint will make a big difference for even the factory "tinted/stained" back windows. I ended up tinting the fronts and doing IR with 70% tint on windshield and all rear glass, seemed like it made a notable difference. On the tesla its tricky to really know the temperature difference as the AC auto kicks in when the cabin temperature reaches over 105, so the car basically never gets hotter than that, unless you disable that feature (which I have not).

What I did notice is just my arm being next to my untainted windows would feel very warm on a sunny day pre tinting and the front dash would get very hot, I dont notice this nearly as much after windshield and window tinted.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-door-windows-dont-stop-uv-rays-idUSKCN0Y32WI

OP
OP
texasBuzzard

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
I can see me doing this on (at least) the roof with my bald head if I decide to buy/keep the Rivian vs. my lightning.

How much did everything cost you?
Sorry for the late reply! $1,300

Sponsored

OP
OP
texasBuzzard

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
Question about the roof tinting, did they install in from inside or outside ?
Sorry for late reply! It is applied to the inside of the roof glass.

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Probably not quite as hot here in So California, but still plenty hot this summer. I did the same thing. Tinted the roof and did pretty much a clear tint on the windshield that primarily blocks UV rays. Cabin now stays some 20-30 degrees cooler than it did previously.

RIvian has apparently chosen a unique path with their glass choices. They apparently break more easily than some. They fairly clearly don't do a very good job at keep out the sun. Fortunately, for around $500 +/- or so, I was able to correct the problem. Some people are spending MUCH more to get the "Brand Name" stuff, think it will do a better job, despite having the same qualities as the non-brand name stuff at half the price.

netjack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
RIvian has apparently chosen a unique path with their glass choices. They apparently break more easily than some. They fairly clearly don't do a very good job at keep out the sun. Fortunately, for around $500 +/- or so, I was able to correct the problem. Some people are spending MUCH more to get the "Brand Name" stuff, think it will do a better job, despite having the same qualities as the non-brand name stuff at half the price.
[/QUOTE]

This leads me to think they're not all the same -