First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
I live in central Texas and it is very hot and lots of sun. The roof was cooking my head and shoulders. I consulted my local tint shop and they have lots of experience tinting the roofs and placing a infrared heat barrier and UV blocking film on the FRONT windshield. I went ahead and did the drivers and front passenger windows while I was at it. The roof tinting made a HUGE difference on the amount of heat. I am able to look directly at the sun through it with no discomfort. I just bought myself a solar eclipse viewing device for my wife and a couple of friends for the next one in a few years!! Front heat blocking film is invisible. Definitely less hot through that. I will attach photos of the before and after tinted R1T AND the type of tint for each window so you can show your tint shop if you want. Hope that helps.

Roof glass is the Pinnacle Series 05 from LLumar
Front Windshield clear film is Air Series 90 also LLumar
Drivers window and front passenger window is IRX Series 30 LLumar

Photos below of each product
Rivian R1T R1S Installed on R1T: Tinted ROOF glass and CLEAR FRONT windshield HEAT and UV blocker film and window tint!! IMG_5161
Rivian R1T R1S Installed on R1T: Tinted ROOF glass and CLEAR FRONT windshield HEAT and UV blocker film and window tint!! IMG_5171
Rivian R1T R1S Installed on R1T: Tinted ROOF glass and CLEAR FRONT windshield HEAT and UV blocker film and window tint!! IMG_5163
Rivian R1T R1S Installed on R1T: Tinted ROOF glass and CLEAR FRONT windshield HEAT and UV blocker film and window tint!! IMG_5172
Rivian R1T R1S Installed on R1T: Tinted ROOF glass and CLEAR FRONT windshield HEAT and UV blocker film and window tint!! IMG_5170
Rivian R1T R1S Installed on R1T: Tinted ROOF glass and CLEAR FRONT windshield HEAT and UV blocker film and window tint!! IMG_5169

Rivian R1T R1S Installed on R1T: Tinted ROOF glass and CLEAR FRONT windshield HEAT and UV blocker film and window tint!! tempImageb6PMth

Rivian R1T R1S Installed on R1T: Tinted ROOF glass and CLEAR FRONT windshield HEAT and UV blocker film and window tint!! tempImage0olXaO

Rivian R1T R1S Installed on R1T: Tinted ROOF glass and CLEAR FRONT windshield HEAT and UV blocker film and window tint!! tempImage91EECY

Ag Solar Guard
3410 S. Texas Ave
Bryan, Texas 77802
Telephone: 979-846-5091 or 979-260-8468
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Lightning Standard
I can see me doing this on (at least) the roof with my bald head if I decide to buy/keep the Rivian vs. my lightning.

How much did everything cost you?

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Love the black R1T! I have two black cars and am done with black. My R1S (on order) is silver/oc. I'm in TX too and am going to do the same thing you noted. Very helpful post. Cheers.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
There has been a lot of information on tinting the roof vs. not tinting the roof.

I'm going to watch this thread so that I can ask how it went in a few months as this is something I would like to do.

teddyang

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Adeventure Edition, RB, BM, 21"
Clubs

Tinted all the glass in my car with Formula 1 Stratos (Llumar brand film also). 70 percent on the front, rear, and side rear windows; 20 percent on the side front windows. Matches pretty well and definitely makes a different with the heat rejection.

Sponsored

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
Did we ever get any confirmation on tinting the roof? I saw some threads that said it could lead to cracking and others that said that was crazy. Just wondering since we are seeing reports of the R1T roof cracking, as it did with my friend, with minimal impact.

OP
OP
texasBuzzard

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
Did we ever get any confirmation on tinting the roof? I saw some threads that said it could lead to cracking and others that said that was crazy. Just wondering since we are seeing reports of the R1T roof cracking, as it did with my friend, with minimal impact.
My tint shop had done hundreds of Tesla roofs with no issues to date.

basserman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Rivian Enthusiast
Clubs

I did the exact same thing (southern california based); tinted the driver/passenger front windows to match the rear windows and put the UV tint on the windshield and the roof. So far so good.

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
My tint shop had done hundreds of Tesla roofs with no issues to date.
I wasn't implying it was an issue with all glass roofs, just Rivian's. My detailer said they did one that cracked a day later. My buddies cracked after leaning across it to dry it with a towel. Others have had no issue. I was going to do mine as well when I had PPF done, but decided to wait until I heard more feedback. I'm in Texas as well, and will take any relief from the heat I can get.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Tinted all the glass in my car with Formula 1 Stratos (Llumar brand film also). 70 percent on the front, rear, and side rear windows; 20 percent on the side front windows. Matches pretty well and definitely makes a different with the heat rejection.
These are the % tints / windows I did with XPEL XR Plus. Pretty good heat protection wise here in Georgia.

Sponsored

JustBarely

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T C63 AMG Honda S2000 E92 M3
Occupation
Logistics
Clubs

Wow, OP's Rivian looks great in black. I have too many black cars but really enjoy seeing the R1T in that color. :-D I will definitely have to look into that for the roof. I'm sizzling down here in FL as well.

linkwpc

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2016 CMax, 2001 Saleen, 2002 GS300
Clubs

Please keep updates to see if any incidents happen. I hope it all goes well and nothing bad happens. I wish to do this to my RS when I get it.

jpal

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Just my two cents - I had heat reduction film installed on my R1T's front windshield (and the side and rear windows), but nothing on my roof. It made a world of difference (I'm also in Texas). I feel no heat coming from the roof when I'm driving around, even in full sun. The truck cools down very quickly even when parked outside in the sun.

If anyone is looking for best bang for your buck, I would highly recommend head reduction film on the windshield and appropriate tinting on the windows in a warm climate, but I can't imagine you gain much by also treating the roof relative to the price paid. The roof already does a pretty good job.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I would highly recommend head reduction film
That's one way to reduce the heat. J/K. I actually like your idea & might leave the roof out for a bit to see the impact. I could always come back later and do the roof. Cheers.

kayabusa

First Name
Leandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Printer
Question about the roof tinting, did they install in from inside or outside ?
Sponsored