Sponsored

Installed dashcam and 12v under dash but when the truck is off, the dashcam is still on

kozak79

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Visual Effects
Clubs

So I got a dashcam and plugged it into the 12v under the dash. Works fine, but I noticed that when the truck is off, the dashcam is still on. I’m worried that it will drain the 12v battery. Anyone running a dashcam from the 12v plug and dealt with this?
Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I read somewhere that the outlet turns off after 10 minutes once parked but I can’t confirm it.

Deleted member 7086

I have my SMX receiver plugged into the outlet. After about 10 minutes it times out. Starts up again when the truck activates. If you are using your phone as a key or the FOB as a key the truck will activate as you approach so the 12v outlet will seem to have remained on.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
So I got a dashcam and plugged it into the 12v under the dash. Works fine, but I noticed that when the truck is off, the dashcam is still on. I’m worried that it will drain the 12v battery. Anyone running a dashcam from the 12v plug and dealt with this?
I was just reading the manual yesterday and it says the 12v outlets remain on for 24 hours unless you set the timer or turn them off in the settings. Basically it said the 12v outlets are on if the vehicle is awake, but you can set those timers for them to turn off. Page 183.

OP
OP
kozak79

kozak79

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Visual Effects
Clubs

I read somewhere that the outlet turns off after 10 minutes once parked but I can’t confirm it.
It was still on in the morning.
I was just reading the manual yesterday and it says the 12v outlets remain on for 24 hours unless you set the timer or turn them off in the settings. Basically it said the 12v outlets are on if the vehicle is awake, but you can set those timers for them to turn off. Page 183.
Thank You!

Sponsored

OP
OP
kozak79

kozak79

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Visual Effects
Clubs

I found it, it’s under Camping, in order to set a timer for all the outlets, including usbc and 12v, you need to turn on outlets in camping menu. After it’s turned on, you can set a timer for all outlets, minimum timer is 30 minutes. This setting should have been under Energy,..

Deleted member 7086

Just to check the accuracy of my 10 minute estimate as to when the 12v outlet under the dash times out I checked it this evening. Once the truck was no longer active it timed out in four minutes. If I locked the truck it timed out in two minutes. When it timed out there was a clicking noise like a switch operating. I have not made any adjustments in the camping screen. It just does it on its own.

OP
OP
kozak79

kozak79

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Visual Effects
Clubs

Just to check the accuracy of my 10 minute estimate as to when the 12v outlet under the dash times out I checked it this evening. Once the truck was no longer active it timed out in four minutes. If I locked the truck it timed out in two minutes. When it timed out there was a clicking noise like a switch operating. I have not made any adjustments in the camping screen. It just does it on its own.
Glad it’s working for you. I came outside a couple hours after locking the truck without my key or phone and the dash cam was still on :/ after setting the 30 minute timer on the outlets, it turns off after the timer runs out.

Deleted member 7086

Interesting. It appears my R1T has a mind of its own. I wonder if things would change if I actually turned the outlets on in camp mode and set the timer. Not sure I want to do that. Let sleeping dogs lie.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I found it, it’s under Camping, in order to set a timer for all the outlets, including usbc and 12v, you need to turn on outlets in camping menu. After it’s turned on, you can set a timer for all outlets, minimum timer is 30 minutes. This setting should have been under Energy,..
This timer is only for when you're in Camping Mode, so it should remain in its current menu.

If you're not in Camping Mode, then only the 120V is switchable.
Sponsored