First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
With being assigned a guide finally (even though she's unresponsive), I figured I should get myself setup on a charging spot since I have the Rivian wall charger on order along with the truck.

200amp service in the house, with space on the panel. This is actually less amperage than my on-demand electric water heater that I installed myself (27Kwh), but that used 3 dual pole 40 amp breakers via 8/2 runs.

Installation location: I'm hoping I can squeeze it in between my two garage doors on the inside support post. Then I'll easily be able to charge while in either garage bay, or in front of either bay, or to the right of the right bay with the 25' cable. This is the spot (Can remove any/all things to fit it):

Rivian R1T R1S Install location + THHN color chargerinstalllocation

Given the 7.7" width of the Rivian Wall Charger, I'm thinking it should fit fine. But is the cable flexible enough to hang down while looped on the built in cable holder without sticking out the sides too far? The drywall portion of the area is exactly 12" wide.

Wire:

Never worked with thhn before, but I've done plenty of electrical in the past, including all of it for my large garage/great room addition. (and it passed electrical inspection)

For color of the wire, I was expecting to use two black and one green. That accurate?

What size and style conduit do you recommend?
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

With being assigned a guide finally (even though she's unresponsive), I figured I should get myself setup on a charging spot since I have the Rivian wall charger on order along with the truck.

200amp service in the house, with space on the panel. This is actually less amperage than my on-demand electric water heater that I installed myself (27Kwh), but that used 3 dual pole 40 amp breakers via 8/2 runs.

Installation location: I'm hoping I can squeeze it in between my two garage doors on the inside support post. Then I'll easily be able to charge while in either garage bay, or in front of either bay, or to the right of the right bay with the 25' cable. This is the spot (Can remove any/all things to fit it):

chargerinstalllocation.jpg

Given the 7.7" width of the Rivian Wall Charger, I'm thinking it should fit fine. But is the cable flexible enough to hang down while looped on the built in cable holder without sticking out the sides too far? The drywall portion of the area is exactly 12" wide.

Wire:

Never worked with thhn before, but I've done plenty of electrical in the past, including all of it for my large garage/great room addition. (and it passed electrical inspection)

For color of the wire, I was expecting to use two black and one green. That accurate?

Depending on how far your run is, it might be easier to do with armored cable.

Two black and green is acceptable, but local code is ultimately going to dictate what you can and can't do. Wire fill should be okay with a 3/4" EMT conduit if you're running 6 awg wire.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

For what it's worth I have my Chargepoint Home Flex installed in a similar location in my garage but wired to a Nema 14-50. I had extra 6/3 Romex around after I wired my hot tub. I also had some 1" metal conduit that the solar installers left behind that worked nicely but I was being cheap.

One word of caution is to check what studs if any you have in that space between the doors. With a hardwired charger I assume you will want to secure it to a stud.

Rivian R1T R1S Install location + THHN color 3AAF943F-ABF0-40ED-A99B-3BAA28F8248D

OP
OP
TheIglu

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Run is approx 50' including of cable.

I'll look into 6/2 MC.

OP
OP
TheIglu

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
That entire 12" span is wooden support post. No voids!

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I suspect you're going to have battles trying to keep the charge cable loop away from the garage door tracks, especially if you plug the connector into the holster. For reference, the charge cable loop for my Chargepoint is about 20 inches coiled similarly to what is shown in jjswan33's picture or this Rivian picture of their charger - except that the ChargePoint has the holster on the front not the side so the cable loop is likely a little narrower than for the Rivian unit.

Rivian R1T R1S Install location + THHN color evse_loo

OP
OP
TheIglu

TheIglu

First Name
Clayton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
IT
Good point on the holster.

I suppose I could just mount a standalone holster up higher than the charger in the center of the wall, then it would stick out vs sideways.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter

It is more common to use Black, Red, and Green. Both hots can be the same color (just not green or white or solid with a white stripe), and while L1 vs L2 shouldn't matter in any material way, it's still nice to be able to tell which wire is which at both ends of the run.

I ran 1" ENT (in the wall) and Schedule 80 (exterior work) -- it made the pull (actually, I wound up pushing) easy (get a roll of friction tape!). Even though you can go straight into the Rivian enclosure, I'd go to a box (probably a 4-square) nearby and transition to a flexible conduit for the last couple feet. The whip may need to be 3/4" (check the knockout sizes). This will also give you some flexibility to switch to a different EVSE down the line, perhaps with a pre-installed whip (that's how our juiceboxes came). For your install, it'll depend on whether you need to get in/out of the wall from your panel, but if everything is on the surface, Schedule 40 PVC and/or flex will probably be your friends. Or, depending on your aesthetic goals, you may be able to find an appropriate length of 6/2 MC (Metal Clad cable + EGC), and skip pulling wires all together.

Wire size, if it's all THHN in conduit (no Romex), it'll be 6AWG for the hots, 8AWG for the equipment ground (unless the install instructions say otherwise) on a 60A breaker. You shouldn't need a GFCI breaker for NEC 2017 or 2020 (not required in 2017 and not in 2020 over 50A), though that could be subject to local variation.
Sponsored