Sponsored

srwaxalot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
WXR. KIA Niro plugin
“Recruiting engineers into manufacturing is becoming more and more tough, because it’s not as glamorous as working for Google or Apple, or some of the other high-tech areas. But we’re applying a high-tech approach to manufacturing and making it much more attractive to engineers.”
Two of my friends applied at Rivian. One is a mechanical engineer the other had 10 years of logistics for large corporation, neither got a call or reply.

OP
OP
lg3103

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
R1S customer production to start before December!!!

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, VW ID.4, R1S on preorder
Clubs

“Recruiting engineers into manufacturing is becoming more and more tough, because it’s not as glamorous as working for Google or Apple, or some of the other high-tech areas. But we’re applying a high-tech approach to manufacturing and making it much more attractive to engineers.”
Two of my friends applied at Rivian. One is a mechanical engineer the other had 10 years of logistics for large corporation, neither got a call or reply.
Convincing people to live in Normal, IL might also be tough.

I would consider looking for a job there doing software if they were in a location I wanted to live.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

I would consider looking for a job there doing software if they were in a location I wanted to live.
Software is done in CA and ?.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Yup, my wife's job means in am in Oregon for the foreseeable future. :)
Off topic but I wish I could find a job in Oregon. Might be the only state I'm willing to move out of Colorado for.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Lots of mfg jobs are in smaller, more boring places than Normal. ?
people will move most anywhere to work at places as exciting as Rivian.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Off topic but I wish I could find a job in Oregon. Might be the only state I'm willing to move out of Colorado for.
Oregon is great! If you are a great software engineer I’m hiring for my team.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Hmmm...Coming from someone in the engineering & tech scene, it would be a very very hard sell moving to Normal, Illinois, to the folks I am around, in and including myself. The job offer would have to be an absolute perfect fit, and I'd want to get to another Rivian location in Palo Alto, SoCal, Vancouver quickly...

Lots of mfg jobs are in smaller, more boring places than Normal. ?
people will move most anywhere to work at places as exciting as Rivian.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Hmmm...Coming from someone in the engineering & tech scene, it would be a very very hard sell to the folks I am around, in and including myself.
Sure but you live in California! Why leave?? ?

Most manufacturing that aligns with automotive does not occur in such desirable places to live.

bopping from, say, Tennessee to Illinois isn’t much of a stretch.

brianmartin

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Camaro 2.0t
lol at people thinking small towns aren't desirable. if you have kids and its the right job it can be highly desirable. i have to shake my head at these types of posts. not everyone can live on the coast, and not everyone wants to either. there are great, thriving small to mid size cities all across the heart land. the people of Normal are building our dream trucks as we speak. I think their town deserves a little respect.

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I love small towns. COVID opening up full remote possibilities is amazing for people like myself that would prefer to live in a rural setting.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Lol, if I dd not want to live on the coast I would move to Napa or Lake Tahoe...I kid, but recruiting for senior technical talent off the coasts, either side, is a bit more challenging. But you are correct, lots of people like a smaller town vibe. I have worked with some great engineers in Boise, Bozeman, Witchita, and Oklahoma City...its just harder to recruit and the scene way smaller.

lol at people thinking small towns aren't desirable. if you have kids and its the right job it can be highly desirable. i have to shake my head at these types of posts. not everyone can live on the coast, and not everyone wants to either.

Scott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I have nothing against small towns, but having a dual career family is hard in a small town, hiring young kids out of college and convincing them to move to places without vibrant night lives is tough, etc etc.

It’s not that there aren’t good reasons to live in these places, it is just that there are limitations. And to be fair, there are advantages (traffic, cost of living, proximity to nature is some cases).

edit: also I live in a city because of my wife’s career.Personal preference would be a smaller 100-250k population location. However that does limit career options in some fields.
Sponsored