Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Most manufacturing that aligns with automotive does not occur in such desirable places to live.
It used to. Southern California used to be the home of Toyota, Nissan, and Honda engineering. I think only Honda is left. Toyota moved to Texas, and Nissan moved to Tennessee.
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
It used to. Southern California used to be the home of Toyota, Nissan, and Honda engineering. I think only Honda is left. Toyota moved to Texas, and Nissan moved to Tennessee.
Manufacturing. Not engineering.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Convincing people to live in Normal, IL might also be tough.

I would consider looking for a job there doing software if they were in a location I wanted to live.
That's why I'm hoping that Fort Worth wins out on the bid for the second plant, because that's one of the few places I'd consider moving to because of family that is local.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thought exercise; when Rivian/RJ talk about building another plant, do they mean vehicle assembly, or for making subcomponents like skateboards?

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Thought exercise; when Rivian/RJ talk about building another plant, do they mean vehicle assembly, or for making subcomponents like skateboards?
I've read quite a bit about the plans as they relate to Fort Worth, and it sounds like the new project that they are planning will be an entire complex including manufacturing, R&D, and testing. I do think that I read about battery production being part of that.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've read quite a bit about the plans as they relate to Fort Worth, and it sounds like the new project that they are planning will be an entire complex including manufacturing, R&D, and testing. I do think that I read about battery production being part of that.
Hypothesis: they will move those functions under that one giant roof, but keep assembly in Normal.

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Hypothesis: they will move those functions under that one giant roof, but keep assembly in Normal.
That is my expectation as well. Normal will stay the primary manufacturing facility but Site 2 (which I think is down to Fort Worth and Mesa) will be more of a comprehensive complex and the primary user experience center.

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
It might make a lot of sense to handle R2 production at another factory as they would share a different set of common parts.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That is my expectation as well. Normal will stay the primary manufacturing facility but Site 2 (which I think is down to Fort Worth and Mesa) will be more of a comprehensive complex and the primary user experience center.
I bet it will be Mesa, of the two. More reliable power, better climate, close to desert proving grounds etc. That is if there’s enough water in the reservoirs. Oof.

It might make a lot of sense to handle R2 production at another factory as they would share a different set of common parts.
depends on what the next model actually is.
Even if parts are different, they can be produced on the same equipment.
Stamping and BIW production are the big ones. I don’t see that leaving normal Any time soon

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I bet it will be Mesa, of the two. More reliable power, better climate, close to desert proving grounds etc. That is if there’s enough water in the reservoirs. Oof.

Stamping and BIW production are the big ones. I don’t see that leaving normal Any time soon
Water resources would be a big advantage for Georgia, which has also been putting together some bids to bring Rivian. Power is also pretty reliable here, and solar is viable although not as effective as it would be somewhere like Mesa.

We don't have anywhere for a desert proving ground, but there's plenty of mud if they want to work on perfecting that Tank Turn!

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

I haven't followed as much of the local news from Mesa but I do know that Tarrant County (Fort Worth) already approved everything Rivian asked for (tax incentives) without batting an eye. Texas is centrally located, which means easier travel for the majority of the population and it allows them to compete directly with Tesla down in Austin. It's also much easier to transport large amounts of supplies by rail from Fort Worth to Normal than from Mesa.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I haven't followed as much of the local news from Mesa but I do know that Tarrant County (Fort Worth) already approved everything Rivian asked for (tax incentives) without batting an eye. Texas is centrally located, which means easier travel for the majority of the population and it allows them to compete directly with Tesla down in Austin. It's also much easier to transport large amounts of supplies by rail from Fort Worth to Normal than from Mesa.
Rivian is selling itself as a socially-conscious company. I question whether Texas is compatible with Rivian's ethical message/platform.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Lots of mfg jobs are in smaller, more boring places than Normal. ?
people will move most anywhere to work at places as exciting as Rivian.
Yes, we have a GE plant here in Cincinnati, its pretty darn boring here. I guess if your young and starting out it makes a big difference. To work at Rivian to all of us is a no brainer, but we all must have had or still have pretty darn good jobs already to be buying one... :)

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, we have a GE plant here in Cincinnati, its pretty darn boring here. I guess if your young and starting out it makes a big difference. To work at Rivian to all of us is a no brainer, but we all must have had or still have pretty darn good jobs already to be buying one... :)
Cincinnati is at least a decent sized city.

I’ve previously been stuck in stuck in fun places like ponoka Alberta or storm lake, Iowa for weeks commissioning new systems…the streets roll up on weekends and after 6pm in towns like that.

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
Cincinnati is at least a decent sized city.

I’ve previously been stuck in stuck in fun places like ponoka Alberta or storm lake, Iowa for weeks commissioning new systems…the streets roll up on weekends and after 6pm in towns like that.
Sadly I have lived here my whole life, but I get it, definitely could be worse. However, I think when I was younger I liked a change in scenery so I’m sure I could have made a place like Normal work, especially for this cause, and a company like this with what they stand for.
Sponsored