First Name
G.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Audi S5 Cabriolet, 4 Wranglers
Occupation
Professional Email Deleter
R1T launch edition w’ 22s. 11K miles. 7 months. Has anyone heard or seen anything about an infotainment upgrade at all? The radio, doesn’t work on mine even with the redesign. Not having anything to read texts while you are driving seems primitive. I dont understand why we cant have an audible app. I mean, its not the blood/crips thing with car play. Amazon owns a chunk of the company. I know some people like it, but tune-in is trash. I am not stupid enough to think we will ever get Waze, but some of the simpler things that much less technologically forward cars have - text to speech for example - should be pretty simple. I am not an Alexa user - full disclosure. It just doesn’t work for me, i dont know why. Not worried about privacy - they have all the data already
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I think we're stuck with the existing hardware for the next couple of years in the R1 lineup. That's not saying there's not software features they could still unlock.. but changing hardware that's so integrated into the vehicle is a major undertaking.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gt28

gt28

First Name
G.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Agree. Hoping they add some software upgrades to the experience.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The answer Rivian CS always gives is that if enough people ask for something it's more likely to be added. So tell Rivian what you want.

I personally don't care that much about CP but I know many people who can't live without it. To me, as long as they keep improving the UI and navigation there is no reason it can't be good. But there will obviously be bumps along the way if they are trying to go their own way.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Not having anything to read texts while you are driving seems primitive.
Sounds like a peaceful place where I can escape from messaging for a bit.

I dont understand why we cant have an audible app.
I suspect an app will come but, in the mean time, my understanding is that you can access Audible content through Alexa.

I am not an Alexa user - full disclosure. It just doesn’t work for me, i dont know why. Not worried about privacy - they have all the data already
Perhaps you should give it a try (see above response regarding Audible).

Sponsored

ERguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
I personally don't care that much about CP but I know many people who can't live without it. To me, as long as they keep improving the UI and navigation there is no reason it can't be good. But there will obviously be bumps along the way if they are trying to go their own way.
Don't you think it will take several years for Rivian to make an infotainment system that competes with the best ones currently on the market? I suspect that by the time Rivian fine tunes their system into a somewhat competitive product, most people will have already traded in and upgraded... Perhaps several times.

Alternatively, by integrating 3rd party solutions from Apple and Google, Rivians could instantly go from primitive to advanced. These solutions are already fine tuned and continue to improve overtime. Meanwhile, Rivian still insists that it can compete with Apple and Google with its own infotainment solutions, which doesn't seem true.

OP
OP
gt28

gt28

First Name
G.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sounds like a peaceful place where I can escape from messaging for a bit.

I suspect an app will come but, in the mean time, my understanding is that you can access Audible content through Alexa.

Perhaps you should give it a try (see above response regarding Audible).
I actually did try it. And maybe I’m just a whiner, but it lost my place and started from the beginning. And trying to catch yourself up is hard when your listening to an audiobook and remember more about how much time you have listened/have left than what chapter you are on. I will try It again. It’s a good suggestion

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I actually did try it. And maybe I’m just a whiner, but it lost my place and started from the beginning. And trying to catch yourself up is hard when your listening to an audiobook and remember more about how much time you have listened/have left than what chapter you are on. I will try It again. It’s a good suggestion
Maybe you can find some commands here that will help out. Not sure how much of this is currently supported by Alexa on Rivian.

Hayden123982

First Name
Hayden
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Honda CRV
It could be something on the audible side with the restarting. About 1 mo ago my audible was doing the same thing via my app on iPhone. So potentially was a little glitch they were having when you tested w/ Alexa?

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Don't you think it will take several years for Rivian to make an infotainment system that competes with the best ones currently on the market? I suspect that by the time Rivian fine tunes their system into a somewhat competitive product, most people will have already traded in and upgraded... Perhaps several times.

Alternatively, by integrating 3rd party solutions from Apple and Google, Rivians could instantly go from primitive to advanced. These solutions are already fine tuned and continue to improve overtime. Meanwhile, Rivian still insists that it can compete with Apple and Google with its own infotainment solutions, which doesn't seem true.
Oh I absolutely agree with you. But I also don't blame Rivian for trying to avoid the compromises I'm sure they have to make when they choose a 3rd party system. It seems the safest route these days is to just include one or both of those (CP/ AA) and make people happy. It's a bit stubborn to think they could have equally good software that quickly.

My current vehicle is a 2017 Toyota Tacoma and they didn't adopt CP until the 2016 model year. Honda was also slow to add it. They could get away with it for awhile because they have been around so long, but even those companies had to relent because their customers wanted it.

Sponsored

Skirotica

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Forgive me for the ignorance, but where is the Amazon Echo on the R1T? I did not know this was a feature...
Tunein sucks. I wholeheartedly agree.
I do wish they had SiriusXM. I've grown fond of the Dead channel. but i can still use my phone to get it.

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
I think you're conflating a lot of things in your initial post. But if your FM doesn't work, it's a hardware issue with your vehicle - that has nothing to do with the design of the user interface. You should schedule service. Perhaps someone forgot to plug in your antenna or something like that.

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
Forgive me for the ignorance, but where is the Amazon Echo on the R1T? I did not know this was a feature...
Tunein sucks. I wholeheartedly agree.
I do wish they had SiriusXM. I've grown fond of the Dead channel. but i can still use my phone to get it.
Tunein does have a Grateful Dead Station (GDRADIO): https://tunein.com/radio/GDRADIO---Grateful-Dead-Radio-s54607/

I actually prefer Tunein over Spotify because they have most (if not all) of my weird, eclectic mix of radio stations. Radio Woodstock is the only one they don't have. My personal preference is for stations that span a wide range of genres.

Skirotica

First Name
Courtney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Tunein does have a Grateful Dead Station (GDRADIO): https://tunein.com/radio/GDRADIO---Grateful-Dead-Radio-s54607/

I actually prefer Tunein over Spotify because they have most (if not all) of my weird, eclectic mix of radio stations. Radio Woodstock is the only one they don't have. My personal preference is for stations that span a wide range of genres.
THanks, I'll look it up. I admit, i haven't studied it. I just opened it and it showed a bunch of random radio stations, some suggested podcasts and the alternative station played more commercials than music.
Do i have to subscribe to tunein to stop getting Denver area clothing ads (I am not in Denver)?

VSG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE/RB/OC/20
On the center screen under Settings / Apps / Alexa

When they delivered your vehicle they should have walked you through setting this up as part of the onboarding process.
Sponsored