Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
In an attempt to talk about something other than our frustration about contacts, delivery dates, etc., let's see how many of you ordering the Camp Kitchen have experience/s with induction cooking.

I've been cooking with induction for at least 4-5 years and absolutely love it! I go nuts now when I have to cook with gas or electric burners. Induction is a lot like going from and ICE car to and EV...once you try it, you never want to go back. It's faster, cleaner, safer & cooler.

Just thought I'd give those of you that have NOT experienced induction cooking my thoughts on it. Only drawback is you have to use cookware that a magnet will stick to. It does seem a bit weird at first, but you get use to it. It's kind of magical in a way. No flames or red hot burners...neat!

I'll be curious to see how much battery power a couple days of cooking uses up. Specs say it's a 1,440 watt 2-burner cooktop...nice! The burners I use here at home are 1,800W, but I rarely crank them all the way up and tend to cook at half power most of the time, so the 1,440W will probably do a good job.
Sponsored

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

We have been waiting for our 30 year old range to bite the dust, but of course it hasn't, so we finally decided to upgrade and have an induction range coming Tuesday. Pretty excited, and I would be lying if I didn't say it was partially to see how cooking on induction is for the camp kitchen. I don't have it configured currently, but I'm probably a year away from delivery so we will see. Glad to hear from someone who enjoys theirs.

Kenshaka

First Name
Kenya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Titan/2005 Honda Accord/2017 Zero DSR
Occupation
Radiology Technologist
In an attempt to talk about something other than our frustration about contacts, delivery dates, etc., let's see how many of you ordering the Camp Kitchen have experience/s with induction cooking.

I've been cooking with induction for at least 4-5 years and absolutely love it! I go nuts now when I have to cook with gas or electric burners. Induction is a lot like going from and ICE car to and EV...once you try it, you never want to go back. It's faster, cleaner, safer & cooler.

Just thought I'd give those of you that have NOT experienced induction cooking my thoughts on it. Only drawback is you have to use cookware that a magnet will stick to. It does seem a bit weird at first, but you get use to it. It's kind of magical in a way. No flames or red hot burners...neat!

I'll be curious to see how much battery power a couple days of cooking uses up. Specs say it's a 1,440 watt 2-burner cooktop...nice! The burners I use here at home are 1,800W, but I rarely crank them all the way up and tend to cook at half power most of the time, so the 1,440W will probably do a good job.
Already have this set ready to go
Rivian R1T R1S INDUCTION COOKING: Your experience/My experience & CAMP KITCHEN TALK 1624573359327

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000

This is from Techcrunch...one of the Overland shows, the Rivian rep states ~45 min. of the cooktop use = 1 mile of range off the battery.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
This thread got me thinking about the Snow Peak cookware. I'm most familiar with their titanium stuff, but the camp kitchen lists the Home & Camp Cookset ( Home & Camp Cookset 19cm – Snow Peak ). No mention on the SP page whether it works with induction. I wonder if the "Iron/Aluminum Spray" makes it compatible, or if Rivian got a custom material.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lil'O Annie

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
This thread got me thinking about the Snow Peak cookware. I'm most familiar with their titanium stuff, but the camp kitchen lists the Home & Camp Cookset ( Home & Camp Cookset 19cm – Snow Peak ). No mention on the SP page whether it works with induction. I wonder if the "Iron/Aluminum Spray" makes it compatible, or if Rivian got a custom material.
I can't imagine they would put a set in there that would not work with induction. But, that would be a good question for your Guide.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
it isn’t mentioned on the US snow peak site, but some googling led me to the UK one, where it‘s indicated explicitly that the set is compatible with induction stoves.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

I’m looking into a DIY solution to replicate the camp kitchen. They are just using a Dometic induction cooktop that can be had for ~$500. There are other induction top alternatives that are more affordable as well. When I get an R1T, I’ll be putting my woodworking skills to work. It shouldn’t even be that hard to put a water tank on the other side to have running water. It looks like a custom made rotopax.

HighTimbers

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender X, Bentley Bentayga, Porsche
Occupation
Retired
Induction cooking is a game changer. We have ditched all our non magnetic pots and pans. My wife has been using some Brooklyn Steel pans lately. Loves them. Non stick cheap and lightweight.
We have lots of friends across the pond. They all use induction hobs. My wife says it is easy to clean and very quick to heat and fast to cool. The Rivian Camp kitchen includes the gear shuttle so while expensive, really not. The design is beautiful. It's a complete kit and you can even remove it. I changed my long time order of the R1S because of visions of days on the beach, pulling out this cool option and enhancing what we like to call in Florida "Salt Life."

Sponsored

jollyroger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
We have it on order. It makes me a bit nervous though since it puts us right over 80k for the truck. I know the current tax credit doesn't have a limit but if they do pass a new one, it's likely to have a limit close to that.

I have heard though that they can "separate" the accessories from the vehicle price when you buy it but I've not gotten confirmation that really can happen.

I have used induction before (Although right now we are gas) I do love it and it's no nice to not have to try and clean up burnt sticky food on a stove.

HighTimbers

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover Defender X, Bentley Bentayga, Porsche
Occupation
Retired
I have heard from some that already have their R1t that Rivian simply deletes the kitchen, since it isn't yet available and the window sticker doesn't show it. This way, I guess Rivian bills it separately and ships it later. They do not show it as "owed" in the paper work.

Zac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Acura MDX
Clubs

I have heard from some that already have their R1t that Rivian simply deletes the kitchen, since it isn't yet available and the window sticker doesn't show it. This way, I guess Rivian bills it separately and ships it later. They do not show it as "owed" in the paper work.
That's correct. My guide did that on Friday. He said that they will still honor the pre-March 1 pricing if you are in that group and made note of it in my account. However, since it is delayed "indefinitely," they can't have it as part of the purchase agreement.

The other issue he pointed out is that if you go with 3rd-party financing, many won't finance accessories like the camp kitchen. So, even if they had it in stock, you would likely still have to pay cash for it if you use another lender.

ranieri

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90 T8
Occupation
photographer, real estate agent
Induction cooking is the best. When I built my house 5 years ago, I took a leap of faith, having read great reviews about induction cooking. I'm really happy with it. It heats up faster than gas or electric, and the heat is much easier to control and faster to react to adjustments. I use my cast iron pots and pans most often, but I have a set of steel induction pots and pans as well. Once you get induction, you'll never look back.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Not sure if it's been mentioned before. I was looking at the user manual for the Dometic cooktop, and it's only rated for indoor use. I wonder if that's the real sticking point for why they haven't sold any yet.
Sponsored