Sponsored

Im hoping Rivian is making provision for new battery technology that may come out during the life of the vehicle

DRIAFS

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Explorer, Mercedes C300, BMW R1200RT
Occupation
Insurance
There are many possibilities being talked about. It makes me hesitant to buy the $10k up grade if a better option may become available.
Sponsored

cohall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Honestly, I think if being able to upgrade to a new battery technology in the Rivian later is of concern, you may want to hold off on buying.

Not trying to be a dick. We just haven't seen anything that would indicate upgrading or swapping battery packs will be possible, much less an entirely different battery technology.

I think everyone needs to go into this purchase with the mindset that whatever you originally buy is what you'll have a the end of vehicle life. (actually less, due to battery degradation).

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
We just haven't seen anything that would indicate upgrading or swapping battery packs will be possible, much less an entirely different battery technology.
You are right. In fact, many of the Rivian engineers at the events were asked about this specifically, by myself and others, and indicated that swapping or upgrading the batteries will NOT be supported by Rivian.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
FOMO FTL

Been through this thought process myself some time ago. While I completely agree with the above statements, I will also advise everyone not to worry about it. All technology is evolving at a very rapid pace and something better will always be on the horizon. That doesn't mean the R1 is going to be obsolete in the next 10 years.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
There will ALWAYS be something faster or more efficient, down the road.

If you worry about what's coming out in 5+ years then you will never buy anything because the "next" thing will be what you want.

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Never buy a product today based on promises of functionality tomorrow.

300 or 400 miles of range will either work for you, or it wont. No one has a clue as to when longer range vehicles will come out.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
No one has a clue as to when longer range vehicles will come out.
I think it will be 5-10 years. That's what I'm waiting on to replace my diesel tow rig.

Charging tech/infrastructure will need to improve as well for larger battery capacities.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I think it will be 5-10 years. That's what I'm waiting on to replace my diesel tow rig.

Charging tech/infrastructure will need to improve as well for larger battery capacities.
My 2012 Tesla Model S had a range of 265 miles, if I recall correctly. Batteries now are basically the same as then, just some vehicles have more of them. Hopefully your WAG is correct.

EVSport7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Kia Sorento Hybrid
Just like all technology purchases you balance your budget vs the feature set for your use case. Make the best decision and then you get to ENJOY your new toy. Always something better down the pipeline. After buying this first EV I'm hoping solid state batteries will be at that mass market stage in 10 years when I'm ready to upgrade again

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
No one has a clue as to when longer range vehicles will come out.
I do. The new, longer range model, at substantially lower price, is announced within a month of whenever you take delivery,

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I don't know what Prostetuki Kiev means exactly but I have a pretty good idea.

And Kiev is a long way from Port Louis

[Edit]As the administrator(s) have, quite rightly, removed the post that preceded this one these remarks will be meaningless so I'll explain that the removed post was posted from Mauritius and listed some URLs which pointed to a site titled "Prostetuki Kiev".

Last edited:

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
There will always new technology as many have already mentioned. But, since Rivian does not offer leases, it would be harder pill to swallow because you can't just get a newer car in 3 years if you like to keep up with technology.

As for battery technology in general, even if they come up with the holy grail in 2 years, it will take many more to upgrade the infrastructure to support it probably. Even at current charging rates, since most people still charge at home, it might not save as much time as you think it might if you are one of those people.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
There will always new technology as many have already mentioned. But, since Rivian does not offer leases, it would be harder pill to swallow because you can't just get a newer car in 3 years if you like to keep up with technology.
1)Why can't you get a newer car in 3 years?
2)Though Rivian does not offer leases directly some third party might.

Last edited:

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
You can always sell/trade your vehicle.

Leasing isn't always the best option -- even if you want to get something new in 3 years. Leasing usually has an acquisition fee and disposition fee, which can be avoided on a purchase. Also, sometimes the interest rate on a purchase is less than the money factor on a lease.

The primary benefit of a closed-ended lease is that you know the "agreed" residual value for turn-in purposes, at lease inception.

It's important to run the numbers on both options every time you're looking at a new vehicle. Every situation can be different.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
My 2012 Tesla Model S had a range of 265 miles, if I recall correctly. Batteries now are basically the same as then, just some vehicles have more of them. Hopefully your WAG is correct.
Your 2012 battery capacity has degraded. Your 2012 charging speed is sub-optimal compared to current models. It is the nature of automobile evolution for things to change.
Sponsored