Sponsored

Im hoping Rivian is making provision for new battery technology that may come out during the life of the vehicle

jjwolf120

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
TPA
Then again, I thought The Monkees were a real rock band.....
The Monkees were a real rock band! Of course I thought they were the Beatles, so what do I know?
Sponsored

888tom888

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance
Occupation
Self Storage
We live in a society where products have a life cycle and its expected that we will get something new down the road. With ICE cars/trucks gas is always the fuel that powers the car. Battery tech is in its nascent stages and there will be a tremendous amount of technological advances. As someone wrote earlier, you should plan on living with what you get. I believe NIO is the only company that does battery swaps. Even Elon knows that won't work easily in the US. For now, I hope my R1S gets 300+ miles. I also know that I'l never drive it cross country. Haven't done that ever, so why would i start now?

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

boneil1

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
Solid power is a SPAC. The investor presentation can say what ever they want to say because its all aspirational. They have a lab battery that is only 15-20% better then current batteries and probably doesn't include the 4680 cells. I bet it will be 2030 before they mass produce a battery for vehicles, if they every do it at all.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Solid power is a SPAC. The investor presentation can say what ever they want to say because its all aspirational. They have a lab battery that is only 15-20% better then current batteries and probably doesn't include the 4680 cells. I bet it will be 2030 before they mass produce a battery for vehicles, if they every do it at all.
Solid Power is the company, they are using a SPAC to go public but the SPAC is called Decarbonization Plus

Rivian R1T R1S Im hoping Rivian is making provision for new battery technology that may come out during the life of the vehicle 1623792203705

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
If you have been following this thread, you would see that my post is providing evidence that this tech is not right around the corner. Yes, clearly investor presentation will say whatever they want to attract $$. The point is, their own investor presentation says that it will be at least 2026 before their batteries enter production and are available for delivery in any vehicles based on their technology. Of course in reality, that is almost guaranteed to push out. I was simply offering a fact check for those who believe Solid Power batteries will be in production vehicles soon and who were also voicing disagreement with my earlier statement that it would be years beyond 2022 before vehicles come to market with this tech.

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
If you have been following this thread, you would see that my post is providing evidence that this tech is not right around the corner. Yes, clearly investor presentation will say whatever they want to attract $$. The point is, their own investor presentation says that it will be at least 2026 before their batteries enter production and are available for delivery in any vehicles based on their technology. Of course in reality, that is almost guaranteed to push out. I was simply offering a fact check for those who believe Solid Power batteries will be in production vehicles soon and who were also voicing disagreement with my earlier statement that it would be years beyond 2022 before vehicles come to market with this tech.
You can add....enlarging/finding the factory to make sufficient number of battery cells for "mass adaptation". That is going to be the hang-up. Production of sufficient numbers.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
You can add....enlarging/finding the factory to make sufficient number of battery cells for "mass adaptation". That is going to be the hang-up. Production of sufficient numbers.
They are positioning their tech/IP for use in existing production facilities & not planning to manufacture themselves.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Many years ago, I thought the future of electric cars would include standard battery packs that you didn't own. It seemed to me back then that we'd have a standardization of battery packs that would simply drop out of the bottom in a production-line type of station where multiple battery packs are stored and charged. You would just pull up and have the battery dropped & swapped for a fully-charged replacement. Your battery would never get old, and as new tech came along, we'd all benefit and not worry about missing out on the next best thing.

Then again, I thought The Monkees were a real rock band..... ?
Like this?

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Like this?
My understanding is that Tesla knew that battery swapping was never going to be a thing. It was more a combination of promotion stunt and a way to secure ZEV credits than anything else.

Pitty, really...

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Like this?
Yep! Exactly. Still like the idea because battery improvements would be available without changing cars (of course, not the best thing for someone wanting to sell more cars) and degradation would not hit the vehicle owner. Plus, the demonstrated time savings over refueling an ICEMobile.

Thanks for forwarding the video, Greg!

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Yep! Exactly. Still like the idea because battery improvements would be available without changing cars (of course, not the best thing for someone wanting to sell more cars) and degradation would not hit the vehicle owner. Plus, the demonstrated time savings over refueling an ICEMobile.

Thanks for forwarding the video, Greg!
Does no one remember "Better Place," the battery swap startup? It was pitched as a solution for places like Hawaii, where you were geographically isolated. The battery swap stations ended up requiring an investment of millions per location (as opposed to the early projection of about $500,000). How exactly would that infrastructure work in the US? We have about 115,000 gas stations in the US. 115,000 battery swap stations would end up in the significant hundreds of billions, not counting upgrading to new technologies as they become available. Who would bear those costs? A swap would probably run you $50-100. You can install 20 or more Level 3 chargers for a million and keep charges affordable.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Does no one remember "Better Place," the battery swap startup? It was pitched as a solution for places like Hawaii, where you were geographically isolated. The battery swap stations ended up requiring an investment of millions per location (as opposed to the early projection of about $500,000). How exactly would that infrastructure work in the US? We have about 115,000 gas stations in the US. 115,000 battery swap stations would end up in the significant hundreds of billions, not counting upgrading to new technologies as they become available. Who would bear those costs? A swap would probably run you $50-100. You can install 20 or more Level 3 chargers for a million and keep charges affordable.
MIG,

I interesting story about Better Place. I don't remember ever hearing about them, or that proposal for Hawaii. I'll have to do some more research to find out when this was proposed and how they derived those numbers and how things have changed since then. Too tired follow-up tonight, but will do it soon.

Thanks again for pointing out this study.

Take care and a Happy Father's Day to you!

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

FOMO FTL

Been through this thought process myself some time ago. While I completely agree with the above statements, I will also advise everyone not to worry about it. All technology is evolving at a very rapid pace and something better will always be on the horizon. That doesn't mean the R1 is going to be obsolete in the next 10 years.
I agree with you to a point. I doubt the traditional auto components of the R1s will be obsolete in 10 years, but without a doubt - and I mean without a single shred of doubt, the battery will absolutely be obsolete.

Battery technology is rapidly advancing. Every year we are seeing significant improvements in packaging and battery chemistry that hasn't found its way into production just yet.

The industry is moving to solid state batteries with different chemistries that will allow for higher power density, lower weight, and much faster charge times.

Does that mean you shouldn't buy a Rivian today? Absolutely not. You should buy one, and enjoy the hell of it. If you are worried about what is going to be coming out tomorrow, you will never buy the technology of today and you will be stuck with whatever technology you currently have.

This rapid advancement is the beauty of EVs. Internal combustion engines haven't moved the needle in innovation in 50 years. Batteries are evolving at an incredible speed relative to ICE technology and we are just scratching the surface of what is possible.
Sponsored