Sponsored

Im hoping Rivian is making provision for new battery technology that may come out during the life of the vehicle

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
1)Why can't you get a newer car in 3 years?
2)Though Rivian does not offer leases directly some third party might.
With a lease, it is much easier to drop off the old car and pick up a new one. no need to get ripped off on trade in, or try to sell yourself.

Third party leases are not economical at all, they usually run high because they need to make their money. Also, with an EV, the tax benefit does not pass to you.
Sponsored

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
You can always sell/trade your vehicle.

Leasing isn't always the best option -- even if you want to get something new in 3 years. Leasing usually has an acquisition fee and disposition fee, which can be avoided on a purchase. Also, sometimes the interest rate on a purchase is less than the money factor on a lease.

The primary benefit of a closed-ended lease is that you know the "agreed" residual value for turn-in purposes, at lease inception.

It's important to run the numbers on both options every time you're looking at a new vehicle. Every situation can be different.
A lot of people do not want to tangle themselves with the sell/trade option. They want a quick and easy exchange, here is your old vehicle, give me a new one, the payment stays about the same.

Personally, I do not lease, but this time around I got an employee lease deal on a Mazda until my rivian comes home, so it is worth it. Otherwise, I just buy. However, I know a lot of people who would rather lease high end cars, and just not worry about anything. Keeping in mind that the Tesla lease program is a major rip off!

I agree that you have to run the numbers either way, but I am certain that RIVIAN not offering leases will factor into some peoples' decision, especially those with Tesla leases around their necks. And if technology is your thing, cars depreciate quick, so a lease might come in handy.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Third party leases are not economical at all, they usually run high because they need to make their money.
All leases make their money, unless they make a mistake on residual value.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I think it will be 5-10 years. That's what I'm waiting on to replace my diesel tow rig.

Charging tech/infrastructure will need to improve as well for larger battery capacities.
I frequently fret over the question of when to jump into any new technology. As rapidly as everything is changing these days, we can always count on next year’s technology to be at least a little better than this year’s tech. That has always been the case, and always will be the case going forward.

I was a pallbearer for a close friend last week. When I pulled out my suit to get dressed for her funeral, there were five funeral pamphlets in the various pockets, including one for her husband from earlier this year. I miss them both dearly.

I just turned 64, and after a recent annual physical, I asked my doctor, “Be honest with me Doc, how long do I have to live?” He said, “Well, If you’re lucky, maybe 30 to 35 years.” I love his optimism.

Accordingly, I’m looking forward to my R1T “soon, very soon”, no matter if some new and better battery technology comes along shortly thereafter. We wake up every morning with a check for 24 hours given to us, and we don’t get the option to bank that thing. I regret very few things that I’ve done in my life (and that includes some really stupid $#!T), but my greatest regrets are the things I didn’t do, especially the relationships I didn’t pursue.

After over a year of being a shut-in, I’m ready to get out and play, and I want to go play in my new truck. My phone is still charged and awaiting a call from my Guide. I hope we get these things soon and that they’re at least close to being as cool as we all hope them to be. This Forum and all of you (even Commodore) continue to be a great and much-needed community since I jumped in late last year. The interaction shows how passionate we all seem to be about EVs in general, and specifically about Rivian. I love all of the conversations that fill these pages. That said, I took a few weeks off of the Forums to reduce my angst about the delays and to do a bit of a reset on life. It’s good to be back.

Now, make the call and let’s roll! Time’s a wastin’!

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
All leases make their money, unless they make a mistake on residual value.

Every sale does, even below invoice sales have a hidden benefit. But 3rd party leasers have to turn higher sales to return profit. Usually they will mass order few models and their selection gets limited if they do that but they charge less. Either way, it won't be the case for EVs since the EV manufacturers do not have the same deals on mass sales, at least i do not think they do.

Sponsored

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Many years ago, I thought the future of electric cars would include standard battery packs that you didn't own. It seemed to me back then that we'd have a standardization of battery packs that would simply drop out of the bottom in a production-line type of station where multiple battery packs are stored and charged. You would just pull up and have the battery dropped & swapped for a fully-charged replacement. Your battery would never get old, and as new tech came along, we'd all benefit and not worry about missing out on the next best thing.

Then again, I thought The Monkees were a real rock band..... ?

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

Many years ago, I thought the future of electric cars would include standard battery packs that you didn't own. It seemed to me back then that we'd have a standardization of battery packs that would simply drop out of the bottom in a production-line type of station where multiple battery packs are stored and charged. You would just pull up and have the battery dropped & swapped for a fully-charged replacement. Your battery would never get old, and as new tech came along, we'd all benefit and not worry about missing out on the next best thing.
I thought the exact same thing. It made the ultimate sense to me!

Who are the Monkees? JK!

Jarico75

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model Y, Camry Hybrid
Clubs

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
Solid state battery cells are going into production and real world testing in 2022 via Ford and Solid Power

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Solid state battery cells are going into production and real world testing in 2022 via Ford and Solid Power
Best I can tell, they're not intending to commercialize the cells that would be needed for Ford until 2026.

I definitely understand the line of thinking in tech that the next great thing is always around the corner, so you shouldn't sit on the sidelines forever. However, there are definitely major inflection points with many technologies. Solid state batteries should be one of those. The big question is still whether they will be in vehicles we can buy in 2023, 2026, 2031, or later? My money is on 2026-2031 being the most likely time for the breakthrough. Is it worth waiting that long? Depends on what car you have right now and what your needs are over the next 5-10 years.

Sponsored

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
And it will take years on top of that for Ford, BMW, etc to deliver vehicles to customers using this technology.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

And it will take years on top of that for Ford, BMW, etc to deliver vehicles to customers using this technology.

As General George S. Patton famously said:
“A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite time in the future.” With it's lithium ion battery pack, all of that torque, horsepower, and the Meridian 360⁰ sound system, the Rivian is my choice to enjoy now, rather than sitting on the sidelines wasting time waiting for something that might never arrive.

New phone, fully charged.....still waiting.....

Billyk24

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford C-Max Energi, Premium Mach-E ordered
Occupation
health care
Years on top? No. The batteries are already in their ev for testing.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired