Sponsored

I'm getting closer to my R1S and am cautiously excited but the vampire drain story is concerning me.

sabotage14

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAV4,Highlander,Landcruiser, 78 Trans Am
Clubs

I'm a couple of months from my estimated delivery. (shop access soon?) I am not under the belief that my electric car will be powered by rainbows and unicorns. It takes gas input to make an EV battery, steel, wire, rubber etc. In some places coal etc. to make the electricity. If I was was 100% on the side of the environment I would get an electric bike, or pedal bike, that is the reality.

From the reports I have read it seems like vampire drain is rather high compared the EV competitors, like 1% a day plus for Rivian vs. 1% a week for others? Does this sound right? Over time that just seems like a lot of wasted electricity and recourses $ for a car that is just sitting. But dang it's a good looking ride!
That being said is the vampire drain something that can be fixed over time? What is using all that power that other EVs are not?
Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I average 1-3% loss per day, or an extra 475-1425kwh of wasted energy per year. That’s equivalent to 3.5-11 full battery charges and $170-$500 a year at public EA charger rates. I haven’t seen noticeable improvement in vampire drain in any of the updates over the last ~9 months of ownership.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Well, I charged to 70% last night so it's been right at 24 hours since the charge finished. Haven't driven anywhere today. Just checked and I'm still at, wait for it, 70% soc. Parked in my garage all day, no gear guard. That's one data point, make of it what you will.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Well, I charged to 70% last night so it's been right at 24 hours since the charge finished. Haven't driven anywhere today. Just checked and I'm still at, wait for it, 70% soc. Parked in my garage all day, no gear guard. That's one data point, make of it what you will.
I see similar to this as well, to be honest, I do not really see any difference between the Model S and the R1S as far as vampire drain. I do live in SoCal with pretty moderate temperatures and it is garaged when not in use.

OP
OP

sabotage14

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I see similar to this as well, to be honest, I do not really see any difference between the Model S and the R1S as far as vampire drain. I do live in SoCal with pretty moderate temperatures and it is garaged when not in use.
Thats good to know that the drain is close to the Tesla S. I don't remember what Forum I read that stated it was significantly higher to most EVs?

Sponsored

RoadTripFan

First Name
Quinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch Edition
Occupation
Broker
Clubs

I have owned the Audi e-tron and e-tron RSGT, also a model S plaid and I find the vampire drain very similar between them all. You can, of course, make a difference in the amounts based on the settings you have for gear guard and such but essentially, I do not see a huge difference percentage wise.

That being said, 1% of the R1T battery is still more electricity than 1% of the other EVs I mentioned. But then, we all bought trucks/suvs with off roading and towing capabilities and should likely moderate our expectation in the same way I would not expect a suburban to have the same efficiencies as a honda.

JamboF4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma /. 335i Coupe
Occupation
Retired airline Captain
I'm a couple of months from my estimated delivery. (shop access soon?) I am not under the belief that my electric car will be powered by rainbows and unicorns. It takes gas input to make an EV battery, steel, wire, rubber etc. In some places coal etc. to make the electricity. If I was was 100% on the side of the environment I would get an electric bike, or pedal bike, that is the reality.

From the reports I have read it seems like vampire drain is rather high compared the EV competitors, like 1% a day plus for Rivian vs. 1% a week for others? Does this sound right? Over time that just seems like a lot of wasted electricity and recourses $ for a car that is just sitting. But dang it's a good looking ride!
That being said is the vampire drain something that can be fixed over time? What is using all that power that other EVs are not?
Don’t worry about it. You’re looking for a cure to a non-important disease. Drive your EV to the end of your driveway, chat with a neighbor, then put it back in the garage. There’s 1-2% right there. Does that worry you? No, I thought not. If I were to worry about something, pre-purchase, it would be the 14 hour trip to do what I used to do in 10 in an ICE vehicle….charge times.

Rainman

First Name
Den
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Taycan
I am consistently seeing 1% vampire drain over a 24 hour period - in my Florida garage, no gear guard on. While I'm not concerned about this, I do wonder why our Porsche Taycan has almost zero drain. We left it for a month in January and it lost 1% over 30 days!

EVDue

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Retired industrial designer

Vampire loss is a non issue! When you’re done driving for the day turn off the climate control and don’t check on the vehicle from your phone unless you really need to. We have two Evs. A Tesla Y LR and a Rivian R1S LE. We do the same with both and have almost no vampire loss. you can set the cars to come on in the morning to warm the battery and prep the climate before you leave so you don’t have them running at night.

OP
OP

sabotage14

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

All good info. Thanks for sharing you experience!

Sponsored

cbrcanuck

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Vampire loss is a non issue! When you’re done driving for the day turn off the climate control and don’t check on the vehicle from your phone unless you really need to. We have two Evs. A Tesla Y LR and a Rivian R1S LE. We do the same with both and have almost no vampire loss. you can set the cars to come on in the morning to warm the battery and prep the climate before you leave so you don’t have them running at night.
I do the same, turn off climate when I get out. This saves a lot of extra climate time running when you're near the vehicle. And I don't check via the app, so it isn't waking all the time. Drain hasn't bothered me at all, but I haven't actually watched to see where it's at. (This is my first EV, I adjusted to it quickly - all my EV concerns disappeared quickly).

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
My truck sees approximately 0.5% drain per day if it’s in the garage. That’s a 30W continuous draw. I haven’t left it parked with GG running away from home for an extended period, but I expect to see up to 2% per day when that’s the case.

There are a number of factors that influence vampire drain. Whether you’re running GG, how often you’re pinging it, temperature (it’ll auto cool if the interior gets too hot, regardless of your settings) are 3 that come to mind.

Leaving it locked seems to also further reduce vampire losses, at least in my experience.

Last edited:
First Name
MM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Just getting started in this forum, and this battery drain thing is an issue. My Lightning has sat for multiple 1-week periods and one 2.5 week period with zero drain. I charge to 50% before I leave, and it's 50% when I get back.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

im between 0.5%-1.5% per 24 hours. it can still improve a bit more and Rivian is aware and addressing so i wouldnt be worried.

BoIsADog

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach-E
I average 1-3% loss per day, or an extra 475-1425kwh of wasted energy per year. That’s equivalent to 3.5-11 full battery charges and $170-$500 a year at public EA charger rates. I haven’t seen noticeable improvement in vampire drain in any of the updates over the last ~9 months of ownership.
Second this. I see the same.
Sponsored