Sponsored

Illinois peeps. Anybody know what's up with custom EV plates?

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
It's so dumb. They charge us extra for EVs but you can't currently give them more money for customized plates. Anyway, I think I saw there was supposed to be a vote on it but that looked pre-covid.
Sponsored

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

I was wondering if they're going to force us to get B Truck plates or EV plates. Technically it's a truck, and falls into both categories.

OP
OP
Pherdnut

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I was wondering if they're going to force us to get B Truck plates or EV plates. Technically it's a truck, and falls into both categories.
It will be EV plates. Can't remember where I confirmed this but I'm confident of this. I was ready to cancel my preorder after reading about how much of a PITA Chicago makes it to own a pickup.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

It depends on the ward. Some wards you can't even park a pickup on the street overnight. Luckily I'm in one of the wards that allows overnight street parking. I had a pickup truck for a few years. Every year I had to fill out one form and provide a few photos of the truck to my alderman's office to get my truck sticker. Then the normal city sticker was twice the price. Come to think of it, it's a bit of a pain, but not horrible.

damonator5000

First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Ugh, I wanted vanity Cubs plates so bad for my Model 3, but not an option :(

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Well they recently started charging about 250/year for the EV plates, and you will be stuck with them. I had a casual conversation with a policeman once, and he told me the EV plates makes it easier for them to spot violators who park in EV specific spots or carpool lanes.
Sponsored