Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota RAV4
Occupation
VP, Technology Enablement
Clubs

The Governor of Illinois just signed a new law that provides a $4,000 rebate on EVs AND up to 80% back on the cost to install a level 2 or level 3 EV charger at your home or business. Now this is great EXCEPT it doesn’t go into effect until July 1, 2022. When you combine the rebate with the charger installation incentive, it makes it hard to not wait. I’m currently in line for an R1S Launch Edition. What to do?!?! Wonder if I can delay my place in line till July 1, 2022 and still get a Launch Edition?
Sponsored

SirArpsAlot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Lexus Rx350, Reserved R1S
Clubs

The Governor of Illinois just signed a new law that provides a $4,000 rebate on EVs AND up to 80% back on the cost to install a level 2 or level 3 EV charger at your home or business. Now this is great EXCEPT it doesn’t go into effect until July 1, 2022. When you combine the rebate with the charger installation incentive, it makes it hard to not wait. I’m currently in line for an R1S Launch Edition. What to do?!?! Wonder if I can delay my place in line till July 1, 2022 and still get a Launch Edition?
Thats a big chunk of change for me to leave on the table... Hopefully Rivian being an Illinois based company would understand why we would want to wait to take delivery.

Have they released any details on how the rebate is applied?

Tommy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Raptor, 2003 HD Fatboy
Good news. Seems like you may be able to delay your delivery according to this other thread. Hop on over to read their discussion.
"2019 Preorder - Extend Preorder to future Model Year"

Reactions: Rad

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
So that $4000 is on top of the Federal $7500? That's huge! I am not expecting mine before than time anyway but here is the question... The law goes into effect July 1st 2022, but since the rebate is probably tax related, that would technically mean any car bought in 2022 should qualify. I should ask my accountant; that's a free battery upgrade on R1S!

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
So that $4000 is on top of the Federal $7500? That's huge! I am not expecting mine before than time anyway but here is the question... The law goes into effect July 1st 2022, but since the rebate is probably tax related, that would technically mean any car bought in 2022 should qualify. I should ask my accountant; that's a free battery upgrade on R1S!
I definitely would read the rules for the rebate, I know a lot of states are doing these as rebates and not tax credits, the dates are critical for the rebate to be honored.

In CA they are usually on a first come first served basis so the rebates are only good while the initial funding is available, once it reaches that limit you go onto a wait list to see if they can approve any additional funding. If the rebate is popular (I would assume this one would be) that could be an issue.

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Keep in mind that by July 2022, you may not have the 7.5K.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Illinois 4K is only good if you live in the Chicago metro area. Screwed again
I read an article that said that was what people originally thought but it is actually statewide. I can see if I c an find it again.

Edit ** -- Here is the article

" Republicans complained that the $4,000 rebate on the purchase of an electric car would not be available to anyone outside of the Chicago metropolitan area. Hastings said the rebate is available in areas where an alternative fuels surcharge is collected to cover the rebates. But Illinois State Rep. Marcus Evans (D-Chicago), who sponsored the legislation in the House, said everyone statewide is eligible for the rebate. "

Last edited:

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Unless Rivian is allowed to sell in Illinois, their vehicles will not be eligible (see red text)
Unclear as to the location requirements - one portion says anyone in IL, another "covered areas" (blue)

Sec. 10. Definitions. As used in this Act:​
"Covered Area" means the counties of Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry, and Will, the townships of Aux Sable and Goose Lake in Grundy County, and the township of Oswego in Kendall County
Sec. 27. Electric vehicle rebate.​
(a) Beginning July 1, 2022, and continuing as long as funds are available, each person shall be eligible to apply for a rebate, in the amounts set forth below, following the purchase of an electric vehicle in Illinois. The Agency shall issue rebates consistent with the provisions of this Act and any implementing regulations adopted by the Agency. In no event shall a rebate amount exceed the purchase price of the vehicle.​
(1) Beginning July 1, 2022, a $4,000 rebate for the purchase of an electric vehicle.​
(2) Beginning July 1, 2026, a $2,000 rebate for the purchase of an electric vehicle.​
(3) Beginning July 1, 2028, a $1,000 rebate for the purchase of an electric vehicle.​
(b) To be eligible to receive a rebate, a purchaser must:​
(1) Reside in Illinois, both at the time the vehicle was purchased and at the time the rebate is issued.
(2) Purchase an electric vehicle in Illinois on or after July 1, 2022 and be the owner of the vehicle at the time the rebate is issued. Rented or leased vehicles, vehicles purchased from an out-of-state dealership, and vehicles delivered to or received by the purchaser out-of-state are not eligible for a rebate under this Act.​
(3) Apply for the rebate within 90 days after the vehicle purchase date, and provide to the Agency proof of residence, proof of vehicle ownership, and proof that the vehicle was purchased in Illinois, including a copy of a purchase agreement noting an Illinois seller. The purchaser must notify the Agency of any changes in residency or ownership of the vehicle that occur between application for a rebate and issuance of a rebate.​
(c) The Agency shall make available in application materials methods for purchasers to identify as low-income. The Agency shall prioritize the review of qualified applications from low-income purchasers and award rebates to qualified purchasers accordingly.​
(d) The purchaser must retain ownership of the vehicle for a minimum of 12 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase date. The purchaser must continue to reside in a covered area during that time frame and register the vehicle in Illinois during that time frame. Rebate recipients who fail to satisfy any of the above criteria will be required to reimburse the Agency all or part of the original rebate amount and shall notify the Agency within 60 days of failing to satisfy the criteria.​
(e) Rebates administered under this Section shall be available for both new and used passenger electric vehicles.​
(f) A rebate administered under this Act may only be applied for and awarded one time per vehicle identification number. A rebate may only be applied for and awarded once per purchaser in any 10-year period.​

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Unless Rivian is allowed to sell in Illinois, their vehicles will not be eligible (see red text)
Unclear as to the location requirements - one portion says anyone in IL, another "covered areas" (blue)

"Covered Area" means the counties of Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry, and Will, the townships of Aux Sable and Goose Lake in Grundy County, and the township of Oswego in Kendall County
(a) Beginning July 1, 2022, and continuing as long as funds are available, each person shall be eligible to apply for a rebate, in the amounts set forth below, following the purchase of an electric vehicle in Illinois. The Agency shall issue rebates consistent with the provisions of this Act and any implementing regulations adopted by the Agency. In no event shall a rebate amount exceed the purchase price of the vehicle.​
(1) Beginning July 1, 2022, a $4,000 rebate for the purchase of an electric vehicle.​
(2) Beginning July 1, 2026, a $2,000 rebate for the purchase of an electric vehicle.​
(3) Beginning July 1, 2028, a $1,000 rebate for the purchase of an electric vehicle.​
(1) Reside in Illinois, both at the time the vehicle was purchased and at the time the rebate is issued.
(2) Purchase an electric vehicle in Illinois on or after July 1, 2022 and be the owner of the vehicle at the time the rebate is issued. Rented or leased vehicles, vehicles purchased from an out-of-state dealership, and vehicles delivered to or received by the purchaser out-of-state are not eligible for a rebate under this Act.​
(3) Apply for the rebate within 90 days after the vehicle purchase date, and provide to the Agency proof of residence, proof of vehicle ownership, and proof that the vehicle was purchased in Illinois, including a copy of a purchase agreement noting an Illinois seller. The purchaser must notify the Agency of any changes in residency or ownership of the vehicle that occur between application for a rebate and issuance of a rebate.​
(c) The Agency shall make available in application materials methods for purchasers to identify as low-income. The Agency shall prioritize the review of qualified applications from low-income purchasers and award rebates to qualified purchasers accordingly.​
(d) The purchaser must retain ownership of the vehicle for a minimum of 12 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase date. The purchaser must continue to reside in a covered area during that time frame and register the vehicle in Illinois during that time frame. Rebate recipients who fail to satisfy any of the above criteria will be required to reimburse the Agency all or part of the original rebate amount and shall notify the Agency within 60 days of failing to satisfy the criteria.​
(e) Rebates administered under this Section shall be available for both new and used passenger electric vehicles.​
(f) A rebate administered under this Act may only be applied for and awarded one time per vehicle identification number. A rebate may only be applied for and awarded once per purchaser in any 10-year period.​
That hurts....

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Since used vehicles are eligible, one could theoretically take delivery out of state, get the fed tax credit, find a friendly in state dealer willing to buy the vehicle from you and then sell it back at the same price +$xxx. You can then apply for and get the rebate.....

We'll see if the committee assigned to make the actual rules administering the program catches this loophole.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
From a news story in the C-U News Gazette
"The bill also provides for a $4,000 rebate on an electric vehicle purchase starting in July 2022, which Pritzker said would be available to all Illinoisans, not just those in certain counties, as had been discussed during floor debate of the bill. That could be clarified in follow-up legislation which lawmakers have said will be considered in the fall veto session to clean up portions of the nearly 1,000-page bill."
So it appears follow up legislation is needed for state wide rebate which Rivian will not qualify for because of other provisions in the bill

SirArpsAlot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Lexus Rx350, Reserved R1S
Clubs

Is Rivian not allowed to sell in Illinois? Then why build a showroom in Fulton Market (Chicago)?
It would be insane if this state passed a bill that left out their own EV manufacturer...
Sponsored