Sponsored

Illinois Electric Vehicle License Plate and Truck Weight Class?

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
In Illinois there is a sliding fee scale for truck license plates depending on total weight. For example a B class allows 8K total weight, D 12k and so on. It is mandatory to have "EL" plates in Illinois on EV(extra fee). I got pulled over once for having a car plate( different color letters) on a pickup. Fortunately for me it was a DMV mistake that I had not noticed. I wonder how all of that will shake out.
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
In Illinois there is a sliding fee scale for truck license plates depending on total weight. For example a B class allows 8K total weight, D 12k and so on. It is mandatory to have "EL" plates in Illinois on EV(extra fee). I got pulled over once for having a car plate( different color letters) on a pickup. Fortunately for me it was a DMV mistake that I had not noticed. I wonder how all of that will shake out.
How would the wrong plates ever NOT be a mistake by the DMV? They know exactly what type of car or truck it is from the VIN. As far as needing EV vs. truck plates, I have only a wild-ice guess that they will require whichever one has you paying higher taxes/fees. ;)

OP
OP

GaryL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Silverado 3500
Occupation
Farm
How would the wrong plates ever NOT be a mistake by the DMV? They know exactly what type of car or truck it is from the VIN. As far as needing EV vs. truck plates, I have only a wild-ice guess that they will require whichever one has you paying higher taxes/fees. ;)
They evidently clicked the wrong box on the computer. They issued a car plate with the correct VIN number and vehicle description. All I know is the State policeman looked at the registration card shook his head and didn't ticket me. They issued new plates with no fee

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Well 10 years ago when i made the mistake of moving to illinois, they issued me license plates where the front and back ones did not even match. I still can't figure out how they managed that because they were not off by a digit, they were 2 completely different ones.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Well 10 years ago when i made the mistake of moving to illinois, they issued me license plates where the front and back ones did not even match. I still can't figure out how they managed that because they were not off by a digit, they were 2 completely different ones.
LeoH, Perhaps it's time to remedy that mistake you referenced at the beginning. There are 49 other States that need good Software Engineers, and I'll bet all 49 of them would be kind enough to offer you matching plates.

Sponsored

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
LeoH, Perhaps it's time to remedy that mistake you referenced at the beginning. There are 49 other States that need good Software Engineers, and I'll bet all 49 of them would be kind enough to offer you matching plates.
Yup. We just moved to Washington from Wisconsin (I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago) and love it.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
I have been working on that for the last 9 years, but when you got a big family, it might be wise to wait a while longer :) But if I had to pick from the other 49, I would go back to my hometown in Nevada.
Sponsored