Sponsored

If you haven't considered Red Canyon, you should...

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Today, we took delivery of a Red Canyon R1T, and we're unsure why we didn't choose this color from the get-go. Our original R1T was repurchased by Rivian due to paint issues and ongoing mechanical issues that Rivian Service could not properly address. During the repurchase process, we were allowed to make any configuration changes. We ended up choosing a pre-built unit that was already on the ground in Normal.

Welcome home, Red Canyon w/ Ocean Coast on 22" Sport Dark wheels. Our guide stated there are only 6 assembled units (including ours) that match this spec, so that’s a cool stat to have in our pocket (for now).

Few shots with the GW/OC R1T heading back to Rivian. In the next few days, I'll get a few photos of Red Canyon next to our Rapid Red Mach-E.

IMG-1543.jpg
IMG-1545.jpg
IMG-1547.jpg
IMG-1550.jpg
IMG-1563.jpg
IMG-1566.jpg
shhhh... dont let the secret out. 🤫
Sponsored

seajayseven

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Occupation
Jobs
Which tonneau and what was the vin range of your buyback and the replacement they gave you?

Biturbowned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘20 Model Y, ‘22 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Today, we took delivery of a Red Canyon R1T, and we're unsure why we didn't choose this color from the get-go. Our original R1T was repurchased by Rivian due to paint issues and ongoing mechanical issues that Rivian Service could not properly address. During the repurchase process, we were allowed to make any configuration changes. We ended up choosing a pre-built unit that was already on the ground in Normal.

Welcome home, Red Canyon w/ Ocean Coast on 22" Sport Dark wheels. Our guide stated there are only 6 assembled units (including ours) that match this spec, so that’s a cool stat to have in our pocket (for now).

Few shots with the GW/OC R1T heading back to Rivian. In the next few days, I'll get a few photos of Red Canyon next to our Rapid Red Mach-E.

IMG-1543.jpg
IMG-1545.jpg
IMG-1547.jpg
IMG-1550.jpg
IMG-1563.jpg
IMG-1566.jpg
That red/white looks sharp!

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Which tonneau and what was the vin range of your buyback and the replacement they gave you?
Buyback was 11919 w/ powered tonneau.

Replacement was 140xx w/ manual tonneau.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
RC is the most surprising color IMHO. It looks so good in person. Photos don't really capture how nice it is.
This is SO true. It's a chameleon - to my eyes, it changes from red to burnt sienna to burnt orange depending on the lighting.

Sponsored

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

This is SO true. It's a chameleon - to my eyes, it changes from red to burnt sienna to burnt orange depending on the lighting.
During delivery yesterday, we counted 5 different colors, based on shade, angle and sunlight.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Please share your Rivian buy back story. Did you have to escalate your case to get Rivian to take action?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
It's no launch green, but it is pretty great ;)

And yes it has a fantastic sparkle and color shift.

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

I love being the only RC I have seen. It is awesome. I love having a special vehicle.

Sponsored

OP
OP
connoisseurr

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
Clubs

Please share your Rivian buy back story. Did you have to escalate your case to get Rivian to take action?
Most definitely.

Background Info: January 2019 preorder holder, changed from Max Pack to Large Pack mid-September, had a VIN, 8-steps, and delivery scheduled in 3 days.

We had an R1T delivery set for September 30, so last day of Q3. Rivian was pumping units out to meet sales and delivery goals. I've mentioned this elsewhere but they definitely chose quantity over quality. The vehicle was delivered with a handful of issues: suspension cycling, alignment, front-right corner lower than rest of vehicle, steering wheel fit and finish, center display fit and finish, gear tunnel missing PPF, and MOST important, the driver-side rear door was REPLACED at the factory prior to being delivered.

Paint was broken on the hinges and whoever installed the door, just slapped it on. It had no alignment done whatsoever. The replacement door had 3 paint defects that the service center tried to fix twice - they essentially spit-shined it and called it OK. Yeah... not for me. Two of the spots had torched clear coat; there was no chance of recovering it aside from getting repainted, which was something I didn't want on a brand new vehicle.

I sent a request for replacement to my guide, coupled with my list of grievances. The first response stated the message was being forwarded to the appropriate team for response. Crickets for a week. I sent a follow-up and was then contacted by a NEW guide a few days later stating they will start the process of repurchase and delivery of a new unit. It took about 1-month for Rivian get the process completed for repurchase of my first R1T, as we had some issues with retracting the original dispatched title & registration packet to Delaware (DE moves STUPID slow).

We're under the impression that the first R1T was rejected once by another pre-order holder, and that's why they were so quick to take it back, but only Rivian will know...

Rivian treated the repurchase as a trade-in, so they paid off the remainder of my loan, and used the equity as trade-in credit for the new purchase. The negative to the story is that because I couldn't just swap a VIN with my credit union, we had to launch a whole new purchase process, which led to an interest rate 0.5% higher. No sweat though, hoping we can refinance in a year or two, or just have the thing paid off. I make a decent amount of side-cash day trading crypto :p

My advice, thoroughly inspect your vehicles upon delivery. A lot of this could have been avoided if we simply 'rejected' our delivery due to the paint issues, but to our deficit, it was raining and I didn't see but 1 paint defect on delivery day. Second, if you have issues after delivery that aren't being remedied by your Service Center, push for a replacement and don't take NO for an answer. Please consider using this Delivery Day Inspection Checklist I made from elements found in other community-created checklists as well as points of my own to consider.

Last edited:

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I've never been much of a red person and certainly not a red vehicle. That said, RC is amazing and is the only red I've ever even been close to getting. I figured I'd just admire from a distance and went with blue.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Most definitely.

Background Info: January 2019 preorder holder, changed from Max Pack to Large Pack mid-September, had a VIN, 8-steps, and delivery scheduled in 3 days.

We had an R1T delivery set for September 30, so last day of Q3. Rivian was pumping units out to meet sales and delivery goals. I've mentioned this elsewhere but they definitely chose quantity over quality. The vehicle was delivered with a handful of issues: suspension cycling, alignment, front-right corner lower than rest of vehicle, steering wheel fit and finish, center display fit and finish, gear tunnel missing PPF, and MOST important, the driver-side rear door was REPLACED at the factory prior to being delivered.

Paint was broken on the hinges and whoever installed the door, just slapped it on. It had no alignment done whatsoever. The replacement door had 3 paint defects that the service center tried to fix twice - they essentially spit-shined it and called it OK. Yeah... not for me. Two of the spots had torched clear coat; there was no chance of recovering it aside from getting repainted, which was something I didn't want on a brand new vehicle.

I sent a request for replacement to my guide, coupled with my list of grievances. The first response stated the message was being forwarded to the appropriate team for response. Crickets for a week. I sent a follow-up and was then contacted by a NEW guide a few days later stating they will start the process of repurchase and delivery of a new unit. It took about 1-month for Rivian get the process completed for repurchase of my first R1T, as we had some issues with retracting the original dispatched title & registration packet to Delaware (DE moves STUPID slow).

We're under the impression that the first R1T was rejected once by another pre-order holder, and that's why they were so quick to take it back, but only Rivian will know...

Rivian treated the repurchase as a trade-in, so they paid off the remainder of my loan, and used the equity as trade-in credit for the new purchase. The negative to the story is that because I couldn't just swap a VIN with my credit union, we had to launch a whole new purchase process, which led to an interest rate 0.5% higher. No sweat though, hoping we can refinance in a year or two, or just have the thing paid off. I make a decent amount of side-cash day trading crypto :p

My advice, thoroughly inspect your vehicles upon delivery. A lot of this could have been avoided if we simply 'rejected' our delivery due to the paint issues, but to our deficit, it was raining and I didn't see but 1 paint defect on delivery day. Second, if you have issues after delivery that aren't being remedied by your Service Center, push for a replacement and don't take NO for an answer. Please consider using this Delivery Day Inspection Checklist I made from elements found in other community-created checklists as well as points of my own to consider.
It‘s a great lesson for new owners to perform a thorough inspection on delivery day. Owners are so excited to take delivery they forget to inspect the vehicle from top to bottom. I will be accepting delivery of our R1T this Saturday and plan to arrive early to perform a thorough exterior and underbody inspection.

I had a somewhat similar story when we took delivery of our Model Y around 2-years ago.

We went to accept delivery and after a thorough inspection I notice a small paint defect on the drivers door. The door would need body work and paint to be corrected. I also noticed 3 misaligned body panels. I reject delivery on the spot.

Vin #2 arrives 2-weeks later and luckily I took a photo of the VIN from the first vehicle. Yup, it’s the same vehicle with a repainted door. I reject delivery on the spot for the second time as I expect factory fresh paint on 100% of a brand new vehicle.

Vin #3 arrives 3-weeks later. It has a newer VIN and the paint job is perfect. Every body panel aligns perfectly. I could not find any exterior flaws and I finally accept delivery.

We have close to 30k trouble free miles on the vehicle. We just installed a new set of tires and cabin air filters. I’m hoping our soon to be delivered R1T is just as reliable.

Last edited:

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Agree it is a truly unique color and needs to be seen to be appreciated. On my way to work today I saw a Ranger in a color that looked the closest I have seen on another vehicle, but even that was not quite as orange. If this is a color you are considering (and it should be), you need to see it in person. My first time seeing it was pulling onto our street on delivery day. I don't have a single regret.
Sponsored