Sponsored

If you could be on the CCS or Super Charger network moving forward, which would you choose?

If you could make the R1x have Tesla vs. CCS, which would you choose?

• Total voters

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I’m not certain there’s a business case for that though. They would need to look and see where their network has coverage that doesn’t overlap with the supercharger network because Tesla owners are absolutely going to choose a supercharger over a third party company charger if both are available. Even more so when you consider that Tesla owners would need to create accounts, deal with payment, etc. instead of just plugging in and charging.

I think the strength of the supercharger network actually works against third party companies adding the Tesla plug because it’s added cost and complexity for what will likely be low use.
I can certainly see that side of things. But in Tesla dense regions such as CA where there can be significant lines to charge a Tesla (especially during travel heavy times of year such as the holidays), the business case is certainly more complex. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Will also be interesting to see if the government decides to step in and mandate a charging standard or if they allow it to remain fragmented and the market to dictate direction.
Sponsored

Tahoe Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt
Tesla makes money from selling cars. They integrate their charging network and experience as a major selling point. They can recover the network design, installation and maintenance costs from their vehicle prices and whatnot.

The CCS network doesn't have this huge advantage...selling electricity alone doesn't make anyone money. It was doomed from the start.

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I voted CCS for almost all the reasons described above in several comments, but overall, I think this is such a bizarre discussion I've seen in several places (and it's been going on for a long time).

For the actual crux of the conversation, it's just the physical plug. Who really cares that much about the plug you use for a couple seconds a day, at most?

If we're saying "not the charging network", then this discussion is about 2 comparisons, IMO:
  1. Home/daily charging (J1772 vs Tesla). For this, the difference is almost nil. The plugs are close enough in size that I never think about it. I've had a Tesla for 7 years, and the Rivian since May, and both plugs are equally boring and irrelevant for daily charging.
  2. Fast Charging for trips (CSS vs Tesla). So the difference here is that you have to plug in a fatter plug vs a skinnier one. Does this really make a difference in your life? It's not like people are struggling to plug in the CCS plug or something.
Another thing I have rarely seen discussed is that Tesla has extremely short cables on their chargers. This might just be cost savings, but it also could be a limitation of their design. Either way, the biggest issue I have with fast chargers is almost always the cable, not the plug end. Those cables are inflexible and heavy. It doesn't matter what the plug's shape is.

Anyway, that's my 2¢. The simple answer is, CCS is the standard for North America. Tesla could have properly opened their patents 10 years ago, and then Tesla's connector would probably be the standard plug. But they didn't, and literally everyone else has agreed on the standard.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I’m starting to wonder if there is a power limitation with the Tesla cord and charger. Seems odd to have such a short cord. Maybe the Tesla charger can’t handle 350 kw.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Fast Charging for trips (CSS vs Tesla). So the difference here is that you have to plug in a fatter plug vs a skinnier one. Does this really make a difference in your life? It's not like people are struggling to plug in the CCS plug or something.
Some of the CCS cables I've used that barely reach tend to be difficult to bend into the right position to plug into the vehicle, but it's really mostly a function of the cable not being long enough and the port for the vehicle not being in the optimal position for that station. I have no doubt that the Tesla plug would be at least as frustrating in the same situation. Telsa's location and angle of their port make the supercharger cables pretty easy to use because they are designed specifically around eachother.

jasazick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback
Don't want anything controlled by Tesla in my vehicle if I'm not buying a Tesla. Tesla owns the IP, Tesla currently owns every single Tesla-port DCFC station, Tesla owns the protocol. Nope. Especially not after what Elon just did with Twitter. Get him out of Tesla completely, and I might rethink it.
While the supercharger network is clearly superior to anyone else's charging infrastructure (at least in the US), I don't trust Elon not to do something hairbrained down the road. I could easily see the following happen:
  1. Open up Tesla chargers to everyone
  2. Manufactures start building cars with NACS ports
  3. Elon decides "Unless you buy a subscription to Twitter Premium Max 420" you can't charge your non-Tesla at a supercharger.

Birdowin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T / Tesla model S
Occupation
Retired from construction.
All of this is kind of a moot point since a simple adapter will allow you to use either. I would like to have access to Tesla chargers since they are much more widespread. That said the CCS is a loaf of bread compared to the Tesla plug.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

All of this is kind of a moot point since a simple adapter will allow you to use either.
That's not correct, the adapters are limited to level 2 charging.

Birdowin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Not true, I saw one that was rated to 80Amp,

Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Birdowin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Your Rivian will only accept 48A charging. I don't know if that will change in the future.