First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Congratulations, Glad the experience was positive. Seeing so many of your posts for so long I had actually forgotten you have been waiting till now.

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Thanks for the info and the links about the usb drive.
You’re welcome. I used a Samsung micro SD card, Kingston micro SD to USB + USB-C, and a generic USB-C right-angle adapter. The setup is compact and should be shock resistant + able to withstand extreme heat and cold. It formatted without an issue and the Kingston adapter allows it to plug into old-school USB and USB-C devices to read the data. I can provide Amazon links if that would help.

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Congratulations, Glad the experience was positive. Seeing so many of your posts for so long I had actually forgotten you have been waiting till now.
I am not typically so patient, but the circumstances were unusual (A new manufacturer launching during a global pandemic? Sure, what could go wrong!?) and it seemed like it would be worth the wait. It occurred to me that I have never waited so long to buy anything from the time I placed a deposit/reservation to the time I took delivery.

Seeing occasional camouflaged Rivians very early on and then production vehicles driving around helped keep the possibility alive. Then I got to see people on the forum taking delivery! Not employees, but regular people!!! Every post showing a delivery made me happy because getting a Rivian was no longer an “if” but a “when” and that made a huge difference. Then we got our First Mile drive and the reality exceeded my expectations.

I’m looking forward to doing some light off road driving in the coming weeks and then trying some more challenging trails. This will require more planning than ICE with the lack of charging infrastructure where we typically go, but that’ll just make it like a puzzle to solve.

Redmond Chad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (LG, FE, 20"), Tesla Model X
Clubs

I took delivery of an R1S almost identical to OP's yesterday - just the interior color is different. And I had an almost identical experience.

I had a few questions leading up to delivery (how long trade-in value was valid, what insurance requirements were in my state, what delivery dates were available, how do I hand over a cashier's check when my state only allows payment to dealers) but they were all answered quickly, and delivery day itself was awesome. Including the trade-in. This was my first-ever trade-in, because Rivian gave me a great value, and they made it extremely easy to do - I really just drove in, parked, and handed them the key cards and title.

My guide Elliot and Joe at the Bellevue WA service center were both extremely helpful and friendly. The car (VIN 93xx) was very clean, everything works, all panels seem well-aligned. Not all of the lower plastic cladding was well-aligned, but NBD. There was one tiny dent in the rear quarter panel; I will submit a ticket for that. No upselling pressure.

I can't say it was the best-ever experience, as I've had some similar Tesla deliveries. But it was tied for the top ranking! I am glad Rivian is using this approach.

Rivian R1T R1S If you’re taking delivery… hope yours goes as well as ours did! PXL_20230608_215617624

Last edited:

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Thanks for sharing your experience and congrats on the smooth delivery. So glad to hear your R1 was nearly flawless.

Can't wait to hear about (and hopefully see) your adventures to come.!

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts
I am picking my R1S from Costa Mesa on Wednesday. It’s been there for over a week now, but we were out of town and then they were booked.

David also set up our appointment.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for the update! I hopefully take delivery tomorrow (Saturday). The only possible glitch is that my Credit Union sent payment via Fed Ex standard delivery, which is up to 4:30 PM delivery. Rivian says they have a 1 PM cut off to process payments. ACH was not possible according to Plaid, apparently my credit union is not a Plaid "subscriber".

Mine is also a 74xx VIN so I hope the build quality is like yours!
It should be good... Ours was 76xx and so far we have been happy. Did drop it off yesterday at Costa Mesa for a couple items that were we knit-picked at dellivery, but other than that we have been happy. Provided Rental was a Mercedez GLE 350, which isn't bad, but we do miss the Rivian already.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

If you’re taking delivery soon then I hope yours goes as well as ours did! Things went very smoothly. Way, way better than any other new car buying experience I've had.

Everything looks great, and it is nearly flawless as far as I can tell. There is one minor issue: when the lift gate opens it makes a noise because there is a slight rub on the roof panel behind the shark fin antenna. I put in a service ticket via the app while we were there. I loved being able to attach a video to the service ticket in addition to entering a text description. To be clear, the tail gate and lift gate alignment look really, really good. Not absolutely perfect but close enough that nothing bothers me… and I can be pretty picky. I don't think it's worth messing with anything other than the part that makes noise so I am content with the aesthetics. This is a 7xxx VIN built in April.

Victor is our guide, David at Costa Mesa setup the delivery appointment / verified everything was in line, and Adam was our delivery person. All three were outstanding! I don't think I could've been happier with the process, especially given other new car buying experiences. I took our external USB-C storage for Gear Guard along and Adam went through the process of formatting it with us. Getting help in such a relaxed setting was something new. We’ve purchased quite a few new cars over the years and this was the first time in my life that we spent less time on sales paperwork than getting assistance with vehicle overview, setup, and Q&A. Added bonus: there’s no attempt at up-selling at the end of the signing process when you just want to get into your new car.

With the unusually cloudy weather we’ve had in 2023, the strangest part of the delivery process was that it was sunny. :cool: This is the best picture we got, although my husband wasn't wearing his sunglasses so he looks like he's scowling. He isn’t, it's just the glare.

IMG_2327.jpeg

Looking forward to off-roading s00n…
Welcome to the Owners Club! As you pointed out, the lack of continuous up-selling throughout the hand off makes it so much more enjoyable!

Congratulations, love the colour combo.

Sfosro

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Retired
Your photo didn’t load correctly. We’d love to see it.
If you’re taking delivery soon then I hope yours goes as well as ours did! Things went very smoothly. Way, way better than any other new car buying experience I've had.

Everything looks great, and it is nearly flawless as far as I can tell. There is one minor issue: when the lift gate opens it makes a noise because there is a slight rub on the roof panel behind the shark fin antenna. I put in a service ticket via the app while we were there. I loved being able to attach a video to the service ticket in addition to entering a text description. To be clear, the tail gate and lift gate alignment look really, really good. Not absolutely perfect but close enough that nothing bothers me… and I can be pretty picky. I don't think it's worth messing with anything other than the part that makes noise so I am content with the aesthetics. This is a 7xxx VIN built in April.

Victor is our guide, David at Costa Mesa setup the delivery appointment / verified everything was in line, and Adam was our delivery person. All three were outstanding! I don't think I could've been happier with the process, especially given other new car buying experiences. I took our external USB-C storage for Gear Guard along and Adam went through the process of formatting it with us. Getting help in such a relaxed setting was something new. We’ve purchased quite a few new cars over the years and this was the first time in my life that we spent less time on sales paperwork than getting assistance with vehicle overview, setup, and Q&A. Added bonus: there’s no attempt at up-selling at the end of the signing process when you just want to get into your new car.

With the unusually cloudy weather we’ve had in 2023, the strangest part of the delivery process was that it was sunny. :cool: This is the best picture we got, although my husband wasn't wearing his sunglasses so he looks like he's scowling. He isn’t, it's just the glare.

IMG_2327.jpeg

My VIN ends in 8825. Mine was delivered August 2022.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.

IMG_2327.jpeg

It's beautiful! Hoping to one day own one too!

Ryanj

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Audi e-tron, R1S preorder
Had my delivery today in Orlando and it was fantastic. Chris spent almost an hour with us even they were slammed and I’ve seen countless hours about these vehicles. Honestly the whole thing was a little surreal and I still can’t believe it’s sitting in my garage! Congrats Rob! Happy to join this great community!

Rivian R1T R1S If you’re taking delivery… hope yours goes as well as ours did! IMG_2912

OP
OP
SoCal Rob

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Had my delivery today in Orlando and it was fantastic. Chris spent almost an hour with us even they were slammed and I’ve seen countless hours about these vehicles. Honestly the whole thing was a little surreal and I still can’t believe it’s sitting in my garage! Congrats Rob! Happy to join this great community!

IMG_2912.jpeg
Congratulations, Ryan, the Rivian Blue looks fantastic in the sun! I’ve used surreal to describe the experience, too. I think that it was put off so long it seems hard to believe that the wait is over and we actually get to drive it now.