Occupation
Engineer
Thanks for sharing!

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Idaho has a new survey, website, and meeting schedule for expanding the EV network with NEVI funding:

Website: https://itdprojects.org/projects/https-itdprojects-org-projects-nevi-progam/

Direct Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/evidaho
I really wish every state were doing this, but I'm sure most believe they've got enough data to know what needs to happen -- and they likely do have a lot of solid data. So far I've seen Oregon and Idaho.

Side note: I assume this is for their FY23 and later funds because the Round 6 nominations for corridor nominations were due in May and were the basis for releasing FY22 funds.

OP
OP
chicagoair

chicagoair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T Performance Max Pack
Clubs

Side note: I assume this is for their FY23 and later funds because the Round 6 nominations for corridor nominations were due in May and were the basis for releasing FY22 funds.
I’m not super familiar with how the funding works, but Idaho has surprisingly comprehensive corridor nominations relative to the sad state of fast charging in the state today.

I was shocked US-12 is proposed, all Rivian owners would love that route.

Rivian R1T R1S Idaho: Help Plan the EV Charging Network 1655150476010

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
I’m not super familiar with how the funding works, but Idaho has surprisingly comprehensive corridor nominations relative to the sad state of fast charging in the state today.

1655150476010.png
Looks like only a few holes to plug along the interstates to get those fully designated as EV "corridor-ready", so that's always a plus. Once they get those 6-7 extra stations set up, they can start moving seriously on the US highways.

On funding... The Bipartisan Infrastructure Law set up a formula for each state's funding. Idaho would get $29.9 million over the 5-year period if it meets all the requirements for the block grants. The federal funds have to matched by at least 20% from state and local sources, so if ID does just the bar minimum to max the federal funding, there will be $37.375 million in funding for DCFC in the state over the next five years.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Looks like only a few holes to plug along the interstates to get those fully designated as EV "corridor-ready", so that's always a plus. Once they get those 6-7 extra stations set up, they can start moving seriously on the US highways.

On funding... The Bipartisan Infrastructure Law set up a formula for each state's funding. Idaho would get $29.9 million over the 5-year period if it meets all the requirements for the block grants. The federal funds have to matched by at least 20% from state and local sources, so if ID does just the bar minimum to max the federal funding, there will be $37.375 million in funding for DCFC in the state over the next five years.
My guess is they will hit their shin on a hurdle and only match a couple of years at most.

-have zero faith in my home State.

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek

1655150476010.png
Just did an ICE trip through Idaho. They should add something around Craters of the moon (perhaps AT it, since every town around it is the size of a 9v battery). All national parks/monuments should have L3 fast chargers IMO.

I'd also suggest Salmon since it's the last thing going north and the first coming south via 93.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
The big difference is most people here (not locals) are nominating all the recreational destinations. Idaho is full of them, but the locals are more concerned with how their Boise-area college student gets to moscow, or visits SLC.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The big difference is most people here (not locals) are nominating all the recreational destinations. Idaho is full of them, but the locals are more concerned with how their Boise-area college student gets to moscow, or visits SLC.
Tbh, getting through the State is a big part if the reason I want a charger up in the McCall area. It let's you go north south without leaving the State.

I-84 is a bit bare between Burley and Ogden huh. It's manageable, but another station midway would be helpful.

A little tangential, but I think I was the first person to successfully charge at the new non-networked DCFC station in CdA last weekend. It was an odd and entirely optional experience just to see if I could get it to work since everyone had payment failures two weeks earlier. I couldn't get the card reader to work on one dispenser, and the other one required trying two cards and resorting to swiping. Which barely worked. The charging equipment was nice, and I was happy to see someone installed a 175kw charger, but the price literally wasn't listed. I actually stopped it at 3kwh and finally figured out that it was about $0.40/kwh today after the transaction finalized on my cc. Without plugshare I would not have known it existed. It wasn't marked on the premises anywhere, and the gas station employee that it was at was annoyed when I let him know it was working, and asked if he knew the cost.

It is pull through friendly though!

Shared some feedback with the State for some suggestions on requirements for sites (like showing the charging costs, and having contact info on it....), but the total lack of thought put into it is crazy.

OP
OP
chicagoair

chicagoair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I would have thought this too, but when I joined the Idaho NEVI meeting over Zoom last week it was mostly all Idahoans talking about getting to camping and recreation destinations. It will definitely be an oversized share of the public comments.

Sponsored

OP
OP
chicagoair

chicagoair

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I joined the public meeting on NEVI funds for Idaho last week, it was a bizarre vibe where it felt like remote work but you knew none of your colleagues.

Most of the locations asked for over and over were the recreation destinations Rivian owners would be interested in. McCall, Stanley, Challis, Salmon etc.

There was less, but some, talk of filling in the difficult stretches of the interstates, like on I84 heading into Utah.

The one interesting note I hadn’t seen elsewhere is the Idaho Department of Transportation rep mentioned on the call they understand Idaho’s road network is unique, and while the NEVI funds were to cover interstates first, they understand Idaho will need a different approach to cover the state. No timeline was given for this exciting news of course.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I joined the public meeting on NEVI funds for Idaho last week, it was a bizarre vibe where it felt like remote work but you knew none of your colleagues.

Most of the locations asked for over and over were the recreation destinations Rivian owners would be interested in. McCall, Stanley, Challis, Salmon etc.

There was less, but some, talk of filling in the difficult stretches of the interstates, like on I84 heading into Utah.

The one interesting note I hadn’t seen elsewhere is the Idaho Department of Transportation rep mentioned on the call they understand Idaho’s road network is unique, and while the NEVI funds were to cover interstates first, they understand Idaho will need a different approach to cover the state. No timeline was given for this exciting news of course.
The is great, because the map/PDF they have presented focuses on inter-city travel,

prestapost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RAM 1500, 2022 Rivian R1T
I'd be a huge fan on adding McCall or even New Meadows or Cascade. Something in that area would be great!
Sponsored