Sponsored

ID.4 Runs Out Of Juice! Almost Made It To A Charger..

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

The question for me is - and this is my criticism of 90% of the videos on YT - why is this worthy of a video? Recording myself going to hang out with a friend who’s car died (ICE or EV) is just pointless to me. And I find it hard to believe Kyle isn’t aware of how that video will be perceived by many. He’s no dummy.
Because of monetization. YouTubers like Kyle (and the endless number of other car content creators) do this for work. If a video gets views, it earns them money. Youtube's algorithms and monetization practices also favor videos of a certain length, which is why so few of these end up being very short.

While his videos often seem longer than necessary, the point is that if people are watching he is getting paid. Even if you don't think a video is worthy, it may still be generating money for the creator. While this video is ultimately a low-view video, it also didn't require much effort. By creating a video he was able to turn what was an inconvenient night into a little bit of income.
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Because of monetization. YouTubers like Kyle (and the endless number of other car content creators) do this for work. If a video gets views, it earns them money. Youtube's algorithms and monetization practices also favor videos of a certain length, which is why so few of these end up being very short.

While his videos often seem longer than necessary, the point is that if people are watching he is getting paid. Even if you don't think a video is worthy, it may still be generating money for the creator. While this video is ultimately a low-view video, it also didn't require much effort. By creating a video he was able to turn what was an inconvenient night into a little bit of income.
I figured it had to be something like that. 🤦🏼‍♂️

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

YouTube pay something like $8 per thousand views. Given that he usually doesn’t get that many views (compared to the big auto reviewers) one does wonder how he supports his half million dollar car collection, the office and staff and now his plans for a studio.

OP
OP
NY_Rob

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I for one am glad he made the video because it doesn't just illustrate just how long you might wait for a flatbed if you run out of battery, but also how long you could wait if you're one of the "I didn't order the spare tire... I don't need one" Rivian owners.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
YouTube pay something like $8 per thousand views. Given that he usually doesn’t get that many views (compared to the big auto reviewers) one does wonder how he supports his half million dollar car collection, the office and staff and now his plans for a studio.
They also pick up supplemental income from sponsorships, like the one with Magna.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I for one am glad he made the video because it doesn't just illustrate just how long you might wait for a flatbed if you run out of battery, but also how long you could wait if you're one of the "I didn't order the spare tire... I don't need one" Rivian owners.
To be fair, quite a few vehicles in the last 10 years or so don't come with a spare and don't even offer an option for one. The Chevy Volt is the main example in my mind. I understand both sides of that argument.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
In all but the most extreme cases a can of fix-a-flat would have solved this situation if it were simply a flat. Doesn't help if you drop a shoe out offroading, but if you only need to make it a mile or two over to a tire service shop, it'll get you there in a pinch. You've even got the onboard compressor to air up after the flat :D

OP
OP
NY_Rob

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
To be fair, quite a few vehicles in the last 10 years or so don't come with a spare and don't even offer an option for one. The Chevy Volt is the main example in my mind. I understand both sides of that argument.
The Volt (2014) was one of the first cars I purchased that didn't come w/a spare, that was very concerning to me. I bought a full set of winter tires/rims for it so I kept one of those in the back as a spare. When I switched to the Bolt in 2017 I bought a compact spare from a compatible vehicle (I forgot which brand/model it was from) and always kept that in the Bolt. I also purchased a spare rim/tire for our i3 and keep that in the back permanently. I now have built a spare tire/rim/jack/puck set for my (Jan-Feb delivery) R1T as well.

I guess having read too many horror stories about multi-hour long waits for AAA, etc.. has made me super cautious regarding flat tires and the convenience of carrying an onboard spare whenever possible.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The Volt (2014) was one of the first cars I purchased that didn't come w/a spare, that was very concerning to me. I bought a full set of winter tires/rims for it so I kept one of those in the back as a spare. When I switched to the Bolt in 2017 I bought a compact spare from a compatible vehicle (I forgot which brand/model it was from) and always kept that in the Bolt. I also purchased a spare rim/tire for our i3 and keep that in the back permanently. I now have built a spare tire/rim/jack/puck set for my (Jan-Feb delivery) R1T as well.

I guess having read too many horror stories about multi-hour long waits for AAA, etc.. has made me super cautious regarding flat tires and the convenience of carrying an onboard spare whenever possible.
Oh I'm with you - I feel like a spare is a necessary thing and I don't feel comfortable going anywhere without one. If my R1T arrives without it I will not be doing any off roading until I can secure one.

My ex drove a Volt for years and it was never an issue, despite my trying to convince her we should get one. She didn't want it just sitting in the rear cargo area LOL. It did change my opinion on the topic a little. If one does all their driving in cities or on highways you can probably get by without one as long as you know you might be waiting for a flatbed at some point. To each their own!

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

Answering my question: yes he did. Failed with the Rivian charger, worked with a Tesla charger but only when charging current in ID4 was reduced to 8 amps. At that charging speed they weren’t getting anywhere fast.
Any idea if the gear tunnel outlet is limited by the same issue of needing a bonded plug for charging to work from the truck bed?

I suspect that may have been a part of the issue

Sponsored

OP
OP
NY_Rob

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Any idea if the gear tunnel outlet is limited by the same issue of needing a bonded plug for charging to work from the truck bed?

I think the non-bonded ground is what made the Rivian charger fault when plugged in to both onboard 120v Rivian outlets. Was surprised to see his Tesla Mobile charger working... but did it actually charge the ID.4 or did it just not fault out? He had it plugged in to the ID.4 for over 30min (IIRC) and it added no miles to the traction battery.

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Not sure. It may have worked even with the Rivian charger if he reduced the current first.

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
It really is getting old. Cars run out of gas all the time and depending on where you are it might take just as long for you to either walk to a gas station and back or wait for roadside assistance to show up.

No one is making youtube videos about that because it's dumb and boring... just like these videos are.
I can walk a mile in 15 minutes, grabbing a can of gas and filling it is much easier than rescuing an EV.

I don't think Kyle is really clickbaity but he is testing/experiemneting with things that we hopefully don't have to deal with ourselves and I'm thankful for that. Unfortunately the only way to make any money through youtube is throuhg longer videos, there's no incentive to make 30-90s summary videos that people claim to want so nobody makes them.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I can walk a mile in 15 minutes, grabbing a can of gas and filling it is much easier than rescuing an EV.

I don't think Kyle is really clickbaity but he is testing/experiemneting with things that we hopefully don't have to deal with ourselves and I'm thankful for that. Unfortunately the only way to make any money through youtube is throuhg longer videos, there's no incentive to make 30-90s summary videos that people claim to want so nobody makes them.
Agree you or I would go walk to a gas station to solve that problem but I would guess the majority of people are calling roadside assistance to help them unless there is a gas station within sight of where they broke down. Probably age dependent.

I certainly don't blame Kyle for trying to make a living, but I choose to not watch many of these videos that are either about a topic that doesn't need a video (ie; waiting for a flatbed for 3 hours) or are so long that it just feels like they are wasting my time. And I feel the same about many of Sandy Munro's videos too. It's certainly not just Kyle doing this. Obviously I'm not their target audience :CWL:

3l3c7r1c

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Hyundai Palisade Limited, 2012 Honda CR-V
I am not sure how are the gas cars now, but when I was little our car was stranded because it was out of gas. Then filling up the tank wasn't enough. Some mechanic has to take the gasoline connection hose out and suck with their mouth (no kidding) to fill the hose with gas again.

That's why vehicle to vehicle charge is important. Some other ev can just give other ev few miles of range to reach next charging.
Sponsored